Long Way Up?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GreyThumper, Aug 22, 2018.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would guess the logistics of filming adds plenty of time too. The finished product we see is a fraction of the total production effort.
    scottdc likes this.
  2. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least we now know why they are not going all the way to the arctic circle, LOL pitiful, but it should be interesting TV. Maybe they can get a teenager to start a RTW trip. Again LOL
  3. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    No doubt. But still, run those numbers. Just guessing at these without researching, there's probably 9 hours of daylight, and it probably takes 2-3 hours to go 70 miles on those roads. An hour of fuck off getting ready time in the morning, and hour in the middle of the day sometime, that's still saying 4 hours of time lost for whatever is needed to make the show. 3 hours of "riding time" to 4 hours of "show making time" can't be a sustainable ratio.
    Sorry to quote you again, but your comment about it being cold jiggered a thought. Batteries don't work as good in the cold. In practice, this isn't such a problem for most EV owners, because the car is usually parked somewhere overnight that has to stay at least warm enough to keep water pipes from freezing. Even still, a 5-10 percent loss in range is common in winter. But having to leave the bikes out all night, they're surely getting below freezing. That must have a notable effect range.

So between the cold, the increased rolling resistance of the surface compared to pavement, the extra weight and wind resistance of the bags and other mods, and the notoriously high winds down there, I wonder just what their actual effective range has been. It may be they're having to recharge mid day just to make it 70-80 miles. It'll be interesting to see how much time they spend talking about that stuff in the series and how much they gloss over it.

I imagine the range will be quite low when they go up some of those passes in the Andes, too.
    Johnny Dakar likes this.
  4. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Nothing is stopping them from wrapping batteries overnight in electric blankets, I assume. My canadian friends had a non-heated garage, so the car had some sort of electric heater that they were plugging overnight.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    In cold climates such as here in Alberta, all cars have block heaters to keep the fluids heated in cold weather. Also most buildings and parking areas have external power outlets for folk to plug into. Battery heater mats are also available.

Battery powered vehicles will face tougher conditions here, due to temperature and distance, so EV's are only really a city dweller option as yet.
  6. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Who is driving the Rivians and why?
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    If outlets are so common and widely available, wouldn't that be a major plus for EVs?
  8. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    You might think so, but they are regular outlets and I suspect they will become more closely controlled if people started charging their EV's overnight!

external-power-outlet-connected-to-engine-block-heaters-of-cars-in-D2PH1X.jpg
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about during the day at work or a business? Block heaters can be surprisingly watt thirsty too.
  10. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    I imagine it's Russ and Dave, as usual.
  11. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    But it doesn't answer the why. Why are the Rivians there, if there are also 3 other non EV support trucks?

There's some bigger twist to all this. I've convinced myself the Rivian's are part of the show somehow beyond the normal "B" story of the support crew. Something like they're planning on putting the bikes in the back on the more boring stretches, or they're not carrying any camping gear and the Rivian's are like little RV's they sleep in every night, or they're going to do some light construction along the way. The Rivains aren't there as supporting actors, they're there as co-stars.

Which is why I think Russ and Dave are in those sprinter vans. Hell, it may even be Ewan and Charlie driving the rivians whenever they're in the show, and just some rando taxiing them between the spots they're planned for, not even following the same route.
  12. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    So who is driving the Sprinters & F350?

I imagine I am rich but it is not true. I can imagine The Pope is also there. We can’t handle the truth!
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loved the original and at one time I rode a R1150GS but I would love this kinda adventure on a third world motorcycle, like a yamaha xt250 serow or a Royal Enfield Himalayan
    Was it cuz she showed up on the Long Way Down?
  14. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    I reckon you'd have to ask Ewan.
  15. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reckon it was because she was a attention grabbing, selfish wannabe french bitch.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Sucks to be the pretend Claudio then. Always falling off and wrecking bikes.
  17. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    Here's a theory:

You only ever see two bikes in the photos. Four of them arrived in Ushuaia.
    The one photo of Claudio so far does not have him in riding gear.
    I'm guessing Claudio's driving or a passenger in one of the vehicles, and one set of bikes gets charged while they ride the other pair.

Who knows?
  18. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    If you read the books, you'll realize that Claudio was the more competent rider of all of them.
    bajaburro likes this.
  19. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    I don't know any businesses or parking lots that give away free gas but I know plenty that happily provide power outlets for block heaters. Maybe it's just me but if EV's eventually become main stream I can't see businesses and parking lots giving away electricity. I image they might provide fast chargers where you pay though. I guess time will tell.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    A level 1 charger (where one simply plugs into an outlet), and a block heater use about the same amount of electricity. Why would they care if its one or the other where free electricity is already provided?

Elsewhere where it isn't already common and available, I figure you're correct, and actual level 2 or 3 chargers for a fee will be the norm.
    walhalla01 likes this.