Long Way Up?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GreyThumper, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Except for the painfully long and needless bus assembling sequence, I liked y. Anticlimactic is the best way to end an epic trip.
    Hogges likes this.
  2. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fun show and pretty impressive what both Rivian and Harley have put together here. Well done Ewan and Charley, a more than worthy successor to the series. And Claudia’s drone footage is just spectacular.
    kalikali, Baldy, Traxx and 1 other person like this.
  3. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    Sorry I just can't get excited about "The Bus". Why not just ride during the day? I am thinking they had another bike failure and this is a work around?
    upload_2020-11-14_9-29-35.jpeg
    Traxx likes this.
  4. Cobra5150

Cobra5150 What? Where?

Oddometer:
    According to the timeline of the show the first time they used the bus was in Chihuahua which is just about 4-5 hours short of the border. Why waste days working on the bus when they could have simply not traveled at night? Claudio needs to chime in here and explain this. There was so much good scenery along the route that wasn't included. Maybe the days wasted on the bus had to have been made up to keep with the production schedule.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Deviant

Deviant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Russ said they drive the bus 1000 miles. What a shit end to what started as a great adv trilogy. It's been downhill since LWR.
    23103a and Traxx like this.
  6. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Well Harleys have done millions of miles on trailers.
    Cobra5150 likes this.
  7. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Now that it's over, I'm impressed with the Rivian performance. Sure, they had a problem with a brake caused by an impact with a rock, but they got it fixed and continued on. Bravo to Rivian.

Now, onto HarleyD. Knowing what I know about the "MOCO," I was not surprised when HD sent some techs to manage the Livewire's. Even when one "lost it's mind," HD did step up and fix the problem. (This flies in the face of HD, now, as they don't give a damn about their current customer base.) Sad to see, actually. But, it is their choice.
    I think a better strategy for HD would have been to have Claudio ride the "Pan America" model. Since Claudio was so much more a part of this show, than Char/Ewan, this could have really been good marketing for HD. But, it's done now. I don't see a 4th "long way" anywhere, happening in the future. At least not with Char/Ewan.
    knight and Traxx like this.
  8. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also wonder who made the call on doing the bus. So much to see in Mexico and instead it felt like an episode of Junkyard Wars. Maybe there is some TV audience who will be drawn to this but unlikely here on this forum.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. Cobra5150

Cobra5150 What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Talking with my niece who is not a motorcycle fan at all that happens to enjoy the entire LW series, she agrees with most sentiments here regarding the bus.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I just watched the final episode of Long Way Up and have to admit it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The idea of electric bikes was a turn off for me, but the show stopped being about that and went back to being what I really like about these series and that's the bond between to great friends and the shared adventure experience which is what makes me a part of the ADV community also.

In the last episode Ewan talked about what to do next, so how about we come up with something? I say he should do the TAT next, what say you?
  11. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    I do wonder if there was a creditable threat that they had to address that made riding, even in the day, too dangerous? Or perhaps they were being Hollywood wimps? Or they thought it would add a needed element of drama?

Maybe we'll find out one day.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Price of the insurance, I bet.
    Big John Sny, daveinva and RockyDS like this.
  13. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    On a positive note, I absolutely loved the soundtrack to the whole series.
    xellic, Baldy, Hogges and 1 other person like this.
  14. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Even Ewen's singing?
    Hogges and liberpolly like this.
  15. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Or simply couldn't get any insurance. That seems possible, if not likely.
    liberpolly likes this.
  16. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Imagine you are an insurance agent, and a major film production is asking you to insure Obi van Kenobi actor to ride a motorcycle through area of cartels’ turf war. Your reaction?
    Big John Sny and kalikali like this.
  17. Desert2202

Desert2202 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved watching all 3 series as well.

I remember at one point they were talking about doing a lap of Australia and up the middle of it too!! They would go right past my front door then :clap

That would be around 20,000 to 25,000km

Or maybe they should do New Zealand and Australia on the same trip!!
    Richarde1605 and Traxx like this.
  18. Cobra5150

Cobra5150 What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Most plausible reason I've heard of yet.

That and the drama aspect
    Traxx likes this.
  19. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing. They spent 5 days building a bus when they where like 1 day away from the border.

Someone in the states could have rented a van and just drove down if they where that concerned about safety. Or just ride during the day.
    TonyKZ1, Traxx and walhalla01 like this.
  20. walhalla01

walhalla01 n00b

Oddometer:
    I couldn't seem to get into this series I enjoyed the scenery when they showed it. Maybe if I didnt compare it to LWA or LWU I would of enjoyed it more.
    Traxx likes this.