Long Way Up?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GreyThumper, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you buy a Panamerica at your local dealership?
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to quote pan head instead of pan America
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I don't think Charley has made any money.
  4. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reported net worth of $8 milllion. I don't know if that was inherited or earned in his career as an actor, but it's not too shabby.
    AZbiker likes this.
  5. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:

I'm a giant pot smoking hippy (who likes guns) and I loved all the humanitarian things they did. It's nice to see people at least trying to make a difference. And showing that human beings generally care about other human beings . And if you had your ear holes open enough to listen, they literally said this trip on Electric bikes was a PIA and WAY different than their other trips. (holy shit, changes, I know changes scare people like you) And they they acknowledges that they had to bring all the entourage and set up charging stations. They were the first to do it.. and Charlie even said "I bet in 20 years we will look back and laugh at how unprepared we were and the electric logistics of SA was to do this trip." (paraphrased because I don;t have teh time to look up the actual quite) Because they know it will get better and easier. In 5 - 10 years this will be old news. And here's the thing, you can cower in a cocoon of "I don't like change" but change doesn't care, it's coming and it will leave people with fear of it behind.
    daveinva, knight, AZbiker and 5 others like this.
  6. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Probably not inherited as his father, John Boorman, is still alive.

Most of his acting seems to be bit parts in unknown movies.

He has a bunch of TV travel programs to his credit and he was probably part owner of the programs. Nothing that mainstream.

If he really does have money, let me know, maybe I can do the same thing, I need money right NOW.

Hey Honda, give me a NC750X and I will film myself bursting bubbles all over Canada.

Bursting Bubbles coming to Apple+ soon. Unknown number of episodes.
  7. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    AZbiker likes this.
  8. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lame last episode.
    I didn’t realize they also shipped or trucked the Rivians and met them in Texas. They missed a whole lot of beautiful Mexico.
    Traxx, Jayrod1318 and knight like this.
  9. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I just finished the series. Interestingly I’m currently on a moto tour up the West Coast myself. So it was fun watching episodes during my travels.

I’m a fan of the original series based on the concept and what it could be. And because, by coincidence, Ewan just happens to be TV gold and fun to watch... he’s very charming and charismatic on screen. He is the glue that holds this bromance soap opera centered around motorcycle trips together.

But the most glaring detail from LWU is Ewan looks like one of those cheap guys who loves to get things for free or cheap. It’s displayed throughout the entire series. He giggles like a school girl when he gets free or cheap stuff the whole time. We called kids like this kibes growing up. Hahaha.

He based this whole LWU series on getting free stuff to take him on the trip... free motorcycles followed by free trucks and helped covered by them, powered by free electricity ( but paid for by someone else) ... and to be bought by Apple+.

Ewan is the Executive Producer of this series and this is his thumb print all over this season’s series.

I wish the thumb print would have been different on this series, one dedicated more toward the core adventure rider audience... one that showed an off-grid type adventure ride using clever high tech light weight gear.

I wish the show would have focused on a type of travel attainable by the aspiring adventure rider.

I wish it would have made the routes more of the importance and focus of the show... rather then connecting charging stations in between pr humanitarian organizations.

It’s no wonder Charlie was disappointed and then it filtered over to Ewan in the beginning that making a show to facilitate all the freebees was a departure away from a fun motorcycle travel series... and more about paying off the business of giving the freebees screen time.

This series also illustrates the importance of the Executive Producer role above everybody else on a series, including the cinematographer and director. A strong Executive Producer knows how to start a series with focus and end it with focus.

The series kept becoming unraveled... especially at the end. Savvy Executive Producers know you really have to end a season strong. This one gave up at the end... leaving the audience and the streaming network holding a half empty bag... full of “was that fun”?

Was it good TV? YES! One word... Ewan. He’s TV gold. And he seems to have a good heart... aside from his weakness for freebees.

And there was a lot of strong talent combined in completing this series. The technical work, camera quality, production audio, editing, sound design, soundtrack, mixing... and graphics were spot on.

The producers also did a great job. This show is a logistical nightmare and they constantly had to juggle a lot of things in the air.

But it was clear that this would be the last Long Way series... and should be. Ewan’s life is far too complicated now as a famous Hollywood celebrity and actor. He’s unable to loose himself in a paid for motorcycle journey masked as a TV property to satisfy his handlers.

Charlie lost his enthusiasm as Ewan’s sidekick mid series which caused Ewan to fly in a family member to give him his warm and fuzzy.

Yes, if Ewan was dedicated to the adventure riding community he could continue another season acting only as Executive Producer. He could cast two young energetic riders and set them on a fantastic cinematic adventure motorcycle journey. Ewan could still be the narrator. He could provide cameos at the beginning and the ending. Maybe he could show up in a middle episode with Charley?

I think the entire 3 season series should be celebrated for it’s achievements. It accomplished a very difficult task at getting an unrepresented and very shunned genre of motorcycling content on the air for three seasons.

Hopefully the TV market will become more open to airing adventure motorcycle travel shows. And that Ewan and Charlie paved the way for other aspiring content creators.
  10. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    How bad was Charley when they got on the bus?
  11. Deviant

Deviant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same shit happened in LWD. Oh they're on this epic african adventure, Ewan brings his jealous wife who's never ridden a motorcycle and Charley fucked off to do his own thing.

LWR was genuine, and even though they had support you still felt like there was real struggle, which in my opinion differentiates ADV from touring. It's what got me interested in ADV, as I'm sure it did for many others. LWD began a downward slide that culminated in LWU and illustrates just how different Ewan and Charley are. I appreciate Charley far more. And Claudio for that matter too.
    Proud Highway, TonyKZ1 and AZbiker like this.
  12. Proud Highway

Proud Highway one hand waving free

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Charlie has heart and in my view he stands out as the star of these series.

I’m glad they brought Cloudio, Dave and Russ too. The gang works and they seem to have grown a little more at ease with age and experience.

These series wouldn’t work without the friendship component between Charlie and Ewan. And a little like real life, it’s not perfect.

I’ve seen just two movies w/ McGregor (Train Spotting 1&2). Even though I’m not a huge fan, it’s his clout that made these shows possible and he should be given some credit for throwing in on something that is risky and probably makes him little to no money. It seemed a bit sad watching him get mobbed in the mountains of Peru and also the oblique references to his family situation. I’d pay extra to have a cut of each LW season without him stroking his beard.

As an American it was especially cool to see two companies, separated by a century in age, innovating and taking risks. We’re at our best when this is our focus.

LWU is good TV and a much needed diversion for uneasy times.
  13. DirtyRooster

DirtyRooster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tough to put what I’m feeling into words...

LWR - Ewan and Charlie talked about their lives. They missed their kids, their wives. They openly talked about that empty feeling that creeps. In when you’ve been away from your children for too long. There was a sense that everything they were seeing is new and a life long dream.

LWD - Maybe some of that magic has faded but once they settle into that trip they relax and enjoy everything they are experiencing. you get a sense that Ewan really does love his wife and bends over backwards to involve her in his adventures. And Africa, what a magical place. I’d love to go someday

LWU - they don’t seem to talk about how they feel at all. I wish they would have talked about getting older or how it feels to be divorced and starting over(Ewan) or how it feels to have your children grow up (Charlie). I could have related to those things. ewan was so uptight I don’t think he did a video diary that he didn’t comb his hair first. It took the guys half the trip Or more to relax it felt like.

Charlie has been around the world a half dozen times and in the age of social media it’s hard to experience anything “new”. Maybe that’s where all the electric stuff came from. You can’t just go on a ride with your friend, you have to be the first in some way to get likes.

The series was never going to live up to internet troll expectations. I like that they did something different. It was fun-ish to watch. I just never felt like I could relate to either one of them or the trip they were on with all of the logistics.

it didn’t feel as personal as I’d hoped. There was a lot unsaid about getting older and how life makes you feel.
  14. Order_Unknown

Order_Unknown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I just finished Long Way Up. I live in Guatemala, and three weeks ago I rode my bike down through Mexico and into Guatemala. I actually did a sprint. 4 days of riding and I was home.

Increasingly through the series they stopped highlighting the areas they were riding through. When they went through Guatemala, they barely spent any time. But it was the same, it seemed, the whole 2nd half of the journey. And by the time they got to Mexico, they were done riding.

I read one reviewer that forgave them their limited riding on the series because they are 50. Well, I"m 54 and just spent 90 days straight on the bike. Age isn't the issue.

The whole Mexico/Bus thing was really disappointing. The safety concerns are greatly overblown. They went to Oaxaca and showed nothing of the town or the area. The whole time was spent on building a bus that would allow them to fly through Mexico without riding very much at all. Seriously, Mexico should have been a highlight of the show. It just all ended without any enthusiasm.

I enjoyed the first two series a lot. But this last one was a bust for me.
    ConcreteDr, Traxx, TonyKZ1 and 4 others like this.
  15. Order_Unknown

Order_Unknown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Oaxaca...three weeks ago...

11030A5E-DD25-48A5-9870-CA7996ED3616.jpeg
    pax maac, Traxx, TonyKZ1 and 4 others like this.
  16. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree on both counts. McGregor likely doesn't objectively make much on it, amplified further by opportunity cost. My favorite part of the series though was learning the story of his adopting the little girl in Mongolia, and then interviewing her. I wouldn't doubt that was part of his motivation for doing this series.

And whatever anyone currently thinks of HD, I enjoyed seeing them invest in the show and technology. It is the future after all.
    GreyThumper and Proud Highway like this.
  17. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?! GET THAT BIKE ON A BUS, QUICK BEFORE THE CARTELS GET YOU!!!!
    HuntWhenever and Cobra5150 like this.
  18. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I did a simulated Livewire Long Way Up ride today.

I went from Popkum, BC, to Hope River, BC on the side of the road keeping the speed under 40 mph or 60 kmph.

I was riding a heavy scooter with no shifting similar to a Livewire.

I was almost killed by 16 huge trucks.

I used to do this on a 49cc two-stroke scooter. It takes a long time to get anywhere.

I also tried it on a 150cc four-stroke scooter also. Not much faster.

I watched a video of Charley and Ewan doing Long Way Up.

They hardly ever got going more than 40 mph (60 kmph) because it would drain the battery too quickly.

So I have concluded that the Livewire is the equivalent of my Yamaha BWS 49cc scooter when riding long distances.
    bajaburro, kalikali, TonyKZ1 and 2 others like this.
  19. GyroRon

GyroRon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    are the first two in the series on apple tv as well?
  20. Cobra5150

Cobra5150 What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Yes they are