Long Weekend in the Oregon Outback

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by liv2day, Jun 18, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind works @Oldschoolrocker! Let me know if I can answer any questions about the tracks, etc. Happy to share GPX files and any info that'll help you plan your trip. Not sure what you'll be riding, but most of it's big bike friendly if you're experienced. And if you wait until later in June to visit, likely won't have to deal with crossing any bogs or mud puddles :lol3 :lol3
  2. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Peengwin! Not familiar with your neck of the woods, but read a good report from @WRing FL who headed north and covered some very cool ground. Not sure how far that is from where you are, but he was up in the mountains and hit some pretty cool stuff - quite different than what's out here.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff and beautiful country. The one hot tub shot mistakenly cropped a bit too high though. :D
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @RedDogAlberta!

I was specifically told that there better not be any b**b in the frame when setting up the shot :rofl :rofl
    weldpro and RedDogAlberta like this.
  5. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds great! Might be a bit but i’ve always wanted to ride in that part of Oregon. Posted most of our travels in Day trippin’ too and we are on a KTM 1290 always 2 up with trailer. Thanks for the offer!
  6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Great trip. You look very relaxed and refreshed in your last few photos.
    Another place I've ridden by and have to visit when I'm down there again.
    Thanks for sharing.
    liv2day likes this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I think the only issue you'd encounter would be getting to Fischer hot springs if you're towing a trailer; crossing the wetlands area and dealing with the 2-track that leads to where we camped would be tough with that setup (my opinion only, not a reflection on your riding skill, etc). As an aside, I noticed that there's a small bunkhouse for rent in Plush - might be something to consider if you don't want to attempt the trek to Fischer. Images below are the house and the number.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I attached a couple of GPX files, one being what I planned to ride and the 2nd being what we actually rode (which is just an out-and-back from Summer Lake).

Attached Files:

Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @superfunkomatic! Definitely refreshed and relaxed after this long weekend getaway, that area has a way of doing that to those who visit :thumb :thumb
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy chit, that was all kinds of awesome! WAY TOO GO!

On a side note, I have seen a look like this as well. Understood but Oops! :lol3

[​IMG]
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @TheAdmiral! Appreciate it, glad you enjoyed the report. :-) :-)

And yeah, that's just one section of ruts we had to navigate through. That was before the mud puddles and bog section of the wetlands too...imagine there were some harsh words directed my way (glad I had ear plugs and my helmet on...lol).
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  11. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR, excellent photo's... Looks like a awesome place to venture-too someday! Thanks for taking us along :-)
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @AZ Mark, appreciate the comments :thumb :thumb If you get up this way with your bike, definitely take time to explore and ride the area - tons of cool stuff to see (especially if you go further east to the Alvord, stop at Field's Station, etc).

Glad you enjoyed it :-)
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  13. jeckyll

jeckyll Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    That's great! The drone footage rocked and the pictures make me want to go back to that area soon :)

I really need to get a smaller bike, the WR is going to be on the horizon for next season!
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @jeckyll! The WR is a great all around bike, though if I were to do it over again, I'd lean toward the recent Honda CRF450L. I had a KTM 690 prior to the WR and really miss the extra grunt (though nothing else from that bike...lol). I went a bit overboard and put the 4.7g tank, which makes getting the front up impossible and if I don't have luggage on the bike, she's not much fun in the sand. That said, she was flawless for 2600+ miles in Baja, ~800 miles in Death Valley, and lots of small trips here and there. Great bike, just down on power/torque.

Hope you're able to get back down there, supposed to be some fantastic riding in eastern WA too :thumb :thumb
    2 SPOT likes this.
  15. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    liv2day likes this.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Orangecicle! I like the Pro Shot mount, though I wish they spent a bit more on the piece that mates to the GoPro housing. Can't get it tight such that the camera doesn't rotate and don't want to strip it - they should use a better nut to screw into.

Looks like a fun rip in the midwest, you guys slogged up stuff I wouldn't want to attempt on big bikes :lol3 :lol3
  17. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had (or have) a KTM 690, KTM 500 and WR250.

690 had an anemic fuel range.
    Put an outboard tank on the back... but the bike didn't fit me. (short legs)
    Sold it.

>"... a bit overboard and put the 4.7g tank"

I had both tanks on my WR250. The 3.1 gallon on the WR250 is a little too small.
    Replaced it with the 4.7 which gives the bike a nice range.
    Great bike for poking around the country. But I wish it was a 350 !

>"... though if I were to do it over again, I'd lean toward the recent Honda CRF450L"

IMHO: Better bike... KTM 500exc (or 350exc) with a big tank. 250 mile range.
    Have the 500exc with 2" shortened forks/shock. Neat bike.
    500exc is better long range stuff. 350exc is better on trails.

You did the right thing with your wife... don't push their riding ability (well too far).
    Just let them enjoy it.

Great ride report !
    liv2day likes this.
  18. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Hero 4 holds tight in the ProShot mount. I wonder if there's been some change on GoPro's side that ProShot needs to catch up with.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Can't disagree there, have followed @Aaron.S' thread for a long time now and can't believe what he's done on his 500. I thought about going with a Beta, but decided I wanted the reliability of a Japanese bike (even if it's all perceptual now). Have owned 3 KTMs over the years, don't want to deal with the headaches (yes, I know all bikes cause headaches, just my choice :-)).

Thanks @TwilightZone, glad you enjoyed it :thumb :thumb
    2 SPOT likes this.
  20. weldpro

weldpro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely brilliant ride report! I so, so remember those days of living the kids with their grandmother so we could get out on trips. Fun times, and man I tell you the kids grow up super fast.

My brother just bought a place up near Corvallis so I will be driving though the general area semi often, and so I was naturally curious to what sort of things were actually out there. The glass house is off the charts awesome, and it seems no vandalism has taken place (which is amazing).

Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see what you two do next!