Looking at a used LC4?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Clayman18

Clayman18 n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I was hoping to purchase something 05 or later but this 99 caught my eye. Came with all the parts and service manuals has just over 12,000 miles. He has writen down all oil changes around 2500 miles and valve adj every 5000 miles they replaced shaft bearing at 4,000 miles. feeling good about it for just over 2,000 dollars. Although not liking silver.
  2. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Welcome Clay and good man.

Pictures?

A link to the workshop manual...

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ktm-tech/ktm-lc4-workshop-manual-98-a-35025

Make sure you get the tools!!

b
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Folks say painting them is not difficult; one fella even had his sprayed with bedliner... :D
  4. alsaasla

alsaasla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hello guys
    i was looking at a 640 adventure model 2002
    but the engine number doesnt start with X * 858X *X X X X X X but instead 2*584*x x x x x x what does that mean ?
    does it mean this one has a replaced engine from something else ?!!

the chase number i think is good
    it goes like this vbkgsl402MXXXXXX
    i got this info from this link http://support.ktm-parts.com/entries/491659-KTM-Vin-Number-Identification-Chart
    am i understanding something wrong here

in the hondas
    there is an applicable starting number for the motor and chasis number for that exact year like in this page here
    http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/frame.html

is there something like this in ktm also ?
    i read many pages here and history changes but couldnt find anything yet :norton
    so maybe someone more informed tell me where to find such info

also how should i know which country is it from ?
    i tried the online parts fische but it doesnt state the country of origin
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    alsaasla,

I don't know the serial number stuff.

You might try a good dealership (they should be able to check), or contact KTM North America directly.
  6. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Alsa,
    I have an '02 Adventure.

chassis # VBKGSL4032M754962
    engine # 2-584*34490*

Country of origin is Austria.

Does that help?

You should get an Owner's handbook.
    Two parts manuals(one for chassis, one for the engine).
    Two suspension manuals(fork and rear shock).

And a tool kit!!

Demand all that out of whoever is selling the machine or demand a lower price.

Anyone who steals/loses a toolkit or manuals is a moron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron

bill
    FABrauer likes this.
  7. alsaasla

alsaasla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thnx a lot meat popsicle, but would a north america ktm be able to identify a non USA version ?
    anyway i will try to contact them but i really wanted to understand the vin of ktm. i will keep searching anyway

bmwktmbill yeah that helped a lot at least now i know that the motor number i have is actually normal. it just doesnt make sense in my head
    it says it should start 858

i really dont care for the manuals i already downloaded them
    but the toolkit which he claims he didnt get when he bought the bike from another person is going to be deducted from the final price for sure :) that was my plan
    btw what tank size you got on yours ?
    the one i am looking at has 28L tank but the gas cap doesnt have a lock key ! is that normal?
    its really important for me to be able to lock the gas cap, petrol is scarce here and kids like to experiment a lot . evil:jjen
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing they have access to all VINs via the Austrian division.
  9. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Alsa, my 640 Adv has the 28L tank and no locking cap.
    Not sure if one is available, perhaps another inmate could help us with that question?
    bill
  10. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    The goose that lays golden eggs has dropped another one on me this week.
    It's a 2002 LC4 640 Black & Red with 650 miles! The guy didn't even bother to wash the dust off. He installed a new battery and had the carb cleaned in order to sell it and I rode it home :D. I want to change the oil ASAP as I can smell bad gas in the sump. Did these bike come with synthetic from the factory or was there a break in period with mineral oil? I wouldn't mind doing the clutch shaft bearing just because. It would be a shame to damage a virtually new LC4 :clap
  11. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    You lucked out on that find...
    I've been using Rotella T 5/40 synthetic in my 640 for a long time with no issues, a very good oil at a decent price...
  12. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    So what did you end paying for the 'golden egg'?:evil
  13. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    Not as much as I should have but more than I wanted to :D
    Stay tuned as I don't tend to keep bikes for very long. Although this one's a keeper
  14. Aussie Jase

Aussie Jase Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sadly parted wifh my 640 adv (and XR 400R and XL 250) a few years back due to moving to the city. I killed the LC4 on a long dirt trip (that trans bearing failure - if you search you may find my original posts about the trip and the death of the motor) replaced the motor, upgraded to hydraulic clutch and was a happy owner (until I moved and sold up).

After about 3 years without my bikes I am now looking at 640Advs again (moved to the country) and all the bikes are plane trips away. Before laying my cash on flights can anyone tell me if a hi flo grey motor on an LC4 guarantees that the bike was released with the upgraded roller bearing or is this potentially a case of just the head upgraded. I recall my original LC4 was a black motor.
    I have trawled a number of posts and some are not sure on the 03 model bearing status (one bike under consideration is an 03).
    Thanks in advance.
    Also any idea on what sort of miles major work is expected on any LC4 (assuming the bike was serviced by someone who cares during it's life)?
    Jase
  15. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Nope my old 2001 LC4 was a Grey High FLo motor and it was originally equipped with the old bearing but was fortunately upgraded to the Roller Bearing before I purchased it. It's really not that big of a deal to replace the bearing from what I've read up on it. In the old LC4 thread I believe it referenced what years/vins were affected and how to replace the bearing (Without splitting the cases). http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558

To me it's more important to find a well taken care of, good bike than whether or not it has the roller bearing. Sure the job is a bit of a PITA but hey it's maybe $100 to DIY.
  16. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:

The 2001 models did not come equipped with hi-flo heads, if yours had one on it then one of the POs would have done the switch... The Hi- Flo motors with the upgraded bearings showed up on most models in 2003 but I believe some Dukes listed as 04 models still had the old engine... I have not heard of a case where a 03+ hi-flo motor came from the factory with the old style main bearing..

Not all pre 03 motors came in a black color scheme, some yrs were grey... The best and simplest way to tell if your buying a bike with the newer engine is to look for a juice clutch slave bolted to the side of the motor just ahead of the countershaft sprocket {under sprocket cover}... If the bike has a cable clutch then it is an older model...
  17. Aussie Jase

Aussie Jase Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps - the "Juice clutch slave" makes perfect sense.
    I remember the fun I had sourcing a compatible aftermarket master when living remote. My new second hand replacement turned up on a pallet and I scratched my head thinking bugga didn't expect a non cable clutch :-) - The joy of motor upgrades hey?
    Anyhow guys greatly appreciate the feedback, whatever bike I buy will be doing around 1,000 miles to get it home so lets hope it's been well cared for.
  18. PAFarkle

PAFarkle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No activity here for a few months....I am going this weekend to check out a '02 LC4 640E with 11,XXX miles. Don't have a ton of info on it yet, but its reasonably close to go see it in person. Should I be concerned at all with the age considering the mileage? I was making a list of everything I should check out closely, don't want to miss anything. I am hoping to pick it up for a good deal as my first enduro bike. Something to learn on that will surely see some dirt naps. I don't want to drop a ton of cash right off the bat in case I don't take to it very well. but I have read so much good about these bikes and this one seems like a good deal. Any advice is helpful.
  19. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    Looking at a 99 640A tomorrow w/ only 3300 miles. A garage queen. $2900 might be a little much but I am pretty stoked to find her. :clap I will go back and read the "what to look for stuff".
  20. Lotus1967

Lotus1967 NorCalxPlant

Oddometer:
    So... am gonna go see this beast tomorrow after work...
    likely source of leak would be??

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4834482246.html

Any and all chiming in muchly appreciated...

live in Marin County and desire exploring mendocino on this _ucker...

:evil