Looking at a used LC4?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Marshy

Marshy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Grreatdog, thanks for the link and your input. It sounds like it might not be a prominent of a failure as I believed. Sounds like the Cam follower bearing and water pump it more likely to be an issue..? Can never be too cautious when buying a 15 year old bike I guess. Just because it has low miles doesn't always mean much.

Regarding the cam follower bearing and water pump, what interval should a person wait before they consider replacing the bearing to prevent failure?
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't even know those were problems. With the exception of the "they all do that" cam cover leak, I never laid a wrench on my motor.
    Marshy likes this.
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The 2003 SXC already has the upgraded mainshaft bearing... 5K miles is bugger all and unless the bike has had the crap run out of it or has lacked proper maintenance the engine should be in top shape inside..

I used to rebuild the waterpump at 25,000 miles and always found the seals to be good for another 5-10 K miles... I would do the intake follower at the same time and found I was changing out good serviceable parts so I changed my interval... I now run the cam follower bearings until they get noisy or show play upon inspection, instead of removing a good part..I just put an intake follower back in my latest rebuild that has over 100,000 KM on it, so they will go the distance...
    Marshy likes this.
  5. ShayneFromOz

ShayneFromOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOuld anyone be able to help be fully identify my 1997 620 from the VIN?
    I tried so many KTM VIN lookups and none can find it .. I cant find any charts that mention the GS part of the VIN

VBKGSD403VM712107

Thanks
  6. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got mine with under 10K miles on it and the water pump seal failed almost immediately. Seals harden with age even if not used at all, and mine hadn't been used much for about 10 years. But it's not catastrophic as long as you know what to watch for and don't ride on it for thousands of miles like that.

I've had many issues like that - seals and wiring problems that I attribute to age and vibration more than miles. Just this last week the radiator fan switch died. Is it a huge deal, nah, just one of about a dozen things that craps out once in a while on an older bike. Think of it like buying an older porsche, it's high quality, it's fun, but it's not the best choice if you're hoping to ride it all the time forever with nothing but oil changes.
    Shooter1 likes this.
  7. bibo01

bibo01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thread revival here...
    I am looking at a 640 Adventure 2007 in good conditions, 20.000 Km, pannier stays and hard top case. The bike is in South America and intended to be used for a very long trip. The asking price is US$4300, negotiable. In your view, how much would a fair price be for this bike? I assume that there will be a series of small fixes to be done due to age. Thanks