Looking at getting a new to me bike. Have ?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Greaslife, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Greaslife

Greaslife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about a new bike. I'm on a dr650 . Being a big boy 6"4 and 300lbs I need more comfort when commuting to work 70 miles round trip. Also need to be able to ride around the desert with the kids . What's some of thing too look out for when looking at these bikes? What's considered high mileage ? I've looked at nada guide for pricing putting them between 3-6k . Am I making a good choice on the 950 or 990? I know they are pretty much the same bike other than the 990 being injected . Am I missing any other dirffrences between the two? Any help or input you could give is aprecated .
  2. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan of the 990 platform- love mine. But I wouldn't consider it fun to ride around the desert in a casual way- sand is its Kryptonite.

Yes, one certainly CAN ride it in sand, and I've done it- but I don't find it fun.

I think the bike you describe is probably a 690 (a little short for you) or a DR650 ; )
  3. Greaslife

Greaslife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the DR but it no hwy bike. Around here if your not doing 80 your going to get run over. The DR is no fun in sand I stay away for that stuff as much as I can. Our desert is a mix. Mostly hard pack. Thanks for the input
  4. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    990 in an R designation should fit the bill. I am similar size but 6'7". It was pretty easy to throw around in sand and rocks when I rode one for a good 8 hours a few years back. Probably under 20k miles would be the ticket, but depends how well it was taken care of.
  5. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    the 950 and 990 can be great in sand...but setup makes a huge difference. 950 if you are good with carbs. Fuel injection is better in the whoops, but many like the throttle response of the carbs better. Later 990s with the updated gauges make more power. 950s don't have ABS, non-R 990s do. Lots of year to year model changes. Most bikes are still $5k and up unless they are very high miles, which by itself isn't anything to be scared of. Late 990Rs are still usually around $8k and are generally the best of the breed.

Check out the HOW (hall of wisdom, google will find it) for a lot of the common faults and things to check. It's all been posted here plenty of times but takes some searching as well.

Some desert riding on mine. No steering damper, but good suspension from Konflict and some decent tires.
  6. Greaslife

Greaslife Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info . I have been doing a lot of learning today . We go to JV quite a bit nice short flick .