Looking at purchasing a new 2017 Honda Africa Twin....need advice.

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by leeinmemphis, Sep 21, 2019.

1. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,

Well yesterday I totalled my Polaris Slingshot:

[​IMG]

Thankfully I walked away from the crash after hitting a concrete barrier and flipping it. My helmet saved my life I truly believe.

I am going to be looking to replace it and am wanting to buy a Honda Africa Twin DCT. I have a few questions for those with experience with them. The main thing is if going with the DCT worth it over the standard clutch model? Any experiences with them good or bad? The other question is if there is any reason to avoid purchasing a new 2017? As in if there are any significant upgrades that would make me seek out a newer model?

I've had a GS 1200 and a Ulysses so I'm fairly familiar with the adventure bike platform but was hoping for some insight on the DCT vs Clutch and if there are any signifcant issues with the 2017 models?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    If you cant stay safe on four wheels....why buy a a.t....lol
    Kyron, Motonirvana and Benjah like this.
  3. leeinmemphis

Oddometer:

last time I checked a Slingshot had 3 wheels. lol. They have a reputation for being a handful to drive in the rain.
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Glad your ok man. Looks like you walked away from a bad one.

DCT was never in the cards for me... I like manual too much... I love my '17 and have not felt I missed anything by having a more current model. I got a great deal on a leftover. The DCT has a very loyal following and seems to be making a lot of riders happy. I'm grateful I'm not having the crap in the tank issues that the recent ATAS is having.

Personally I think the leftover deals are too good to pass up over the minor improvements...... Unless the soon to be unveiled 2020s have anything you're interested in..... Possibly tubeless tires, cruise control.

I'd still take the savings of an older model. Love my '17.
    Junglejeff1 and jmcarter like this.
  5. Lewilewi

Oddometer:

Oops!
  6. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    That one might have two wheels now...
  7. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    DCT has been great for me. No problems. I have a 2016, #272 off the line. Been riding it a while. It’s a primitive bike with a few price point features but it’s been great.
  8. Lewilewi

Oddometer:

I must be getting old, surely theres better ways of going from 3 wheels to two.....with out the inclusion of trees...

Oh one more thing, fuck the africa twin go orange...I nearly went honda.. I'm a jap bike nut..

I bit the bullet, I went 1290 s.a.r.....its a far better bike.. buy miles less agro

..2 years on I'll never sell it and it's so good I brought another....a 300i enduro...both new both been superb, both are staying for life... toured all over europe on it with ease two up

You wont regret it
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Do you believe in a god?....... KTM!

Pizza or hamburgers?........ KTM!

Would you marry me?........ KTM!

Mountains or sea?........ KTM!

Lemon in your tea?...... KTM!

Paper or plastic........ KTM!
  10. Pablogordo

Pablogordo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The DCT just plain works but You could always consider a rekluse clutch in whatever bike you choose, still have to shift but no clutch usage unless you want to.
  11. jezza909

jezza909 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode a 2017 and a 2018 back to back today. I liked the throttle by wire response on the 2018 better.
  12. Peke

Peke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DCT?.......Eerm
  13. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I've bought 3 Africa Twin DCTs back to back to back. Big fan.

But wait for the news about the new one to come out before making any decision.
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 AT I bought when they first became available. I selected the AT after coming from a 2004 KTM950. I liked the KTM but it was a very crudely finished machine (still, I put 70k miles on it). The AT had similar geometry and ergo's but very much more nicely finished. The motor is much smoother and the bike is very comfy for me. I have 15k miles on the AT now and have just mounted my 3rd set of tires. My main complaint is the bike is just too heavy and top heavy at that. It's about 60lbs heavier than my old 950 and the KTM carried its gas alongside the motor instead of on top like the Honda. As a result, I pretty much only use the AT for touring solo or two-up with my wife. If I were to do it again, I'd probably look at the new KTM 790.

Since I use the bike only for touring, I should have selected the DCT. It is the new technology and I have a KTM 690 and Ducati for all the shifting I want.

Other things you should add to your AT up front if you buy one is: Center stand, DC power outlet, heated grips and some sort of throttle lock. This bike should have come with all that and cruise control. Maybe the new ones will.

The AT has some basic electronics but they are more of an annoyance for me than useful. I hate the traction control and ABS in dirt and I have to remember to shut them off after every engine start. Nothing worse than wanting to spin the back a bit and have the motor cut out...
    dmason likes this.
  15. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an Africa Twin bought it new and love it. It’s not a DCT and it’s an ‘18 rather than a ‘17 model.
    If you are long enough in the leg and the height doesn’t bother you I think you will enjoy this bike.
    My main gripes are only two: tube type tyres, which have stranded me once when I picked up a puncture 160 odd miles from home. And the self canceling indicators wind me up as they cancel too early. IMHO.
    Other than that I think the AT is a great bike. Proper old school Honda, not too much needless tech like some brands, (BMW style electronic pointless hill start, electric suspension adjustment, etc etc).
    The AT is a great all round bit of kit that will do what you need.
    I left North Wales today at 10am and 185 miles later at 1:20pm I was back home in London. I didn’t stop once, didn’t get off the bike and didn’t feel too sore ( I did use an Airhawk seat pad).
    I really rate this bike highly - it’s a superb ‘do it all’ motorcycle.
  16. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a '17 manual clutch. I rode it from California to Ushuaia last year over 10 1/2 months and 23,000 miles. Bike ran great, NO issues!

Here's a link to the trip and modifications LINK
    dmason and Amphib like this.
  17. leeinmemphis

Oddometer:
    Thanks y'all. I have sent an inquiry to the dealer. Hopefully we will be able to work something out.
    Amphib likes this.
  18. leeinmemphis

Oddometer:
    well the dealer has sold out of the DCT's so I went ahead with a manual version. I pick it up Saturday. Thanks!!!!!!
    dmason likes this.
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well now that you bought it, I think you will love the motorcycle! It is a very finely designed and manufactured machine. And that parallel twin motor is sweetness to live with. Probably the best there is. If yours come with the Dunlop tires like my 2016, you will find them very nice on the highway, but lacking on dirt. I tried Mefo's after the Dunlops and they were good in dirt but way too noisy. I am on Pirellis as of this week. They are the new STR Rally as seen on Ducatis and apparently the new Yamaha Tenere700. Very smooth and 'fairly' quiet, but much better on dirt roads than the Dunlops. Anyway, congratulations!
  20. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Just went from a 2007 R1200GS to 2017 Africa Twin manual to 2017 R1200GS.

All great bikes. Really liked the AT. But. I have loved my BMWs. The electronics really work in the 2017. Self leveling suspension means sag is automatically and properly set, every time I start the bike. That’s no gimmick. Also no gimmick is tire pressure sensors with real time display to the tenth of a pound right in line of sight on the GPS screen. Cruise control? Game changer.

Liked the Africa Twin. Love the GS. Say what you will, I’ll keep my electronics thank you very much.