Looking For A Cargo Trailer To Pull Behind My Shovelhead.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by DGarman, Oct 20, 2019.

1. DGarman

DGarman What could go wrong? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy All.....
    I do custom leatherwork and I'm a vendor at a few vintage motorcycle events every year.
    The events are usually within 250 miles of home..... on the closer ones I ride my bike to them and have someone with a truck bring my booth setup and product out..... on the further ones I just load up my Wagoneer and go alone..... the Wagoneer usually has to park outside the event.
    I'd like to get a trailer to haul behind Hondo, my '82 Harley FXRS, to do it all myself.
    I could use my Wagoneer like normal with Hondo on a trailer..... but then I have a vehicle and trailer to deal with at the event..... Hondo and his trailer can stay in the booth space.....
    I know I'll have to reduce my booth and product down to the bare minimum..... but I can do that and still have an effective booth.

Anyway..... I'm curious about trailers that have worked out well for you folks.....

Here are a couple that came up in a Google search that are kind of what I have in mind.....

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

https://minitrailerusa.com/BikerWagon.htm

https://theusatrailerstore.com/rally-wagon-motorcycle-trailer/
  2. StittWall

StittWall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The trailers you show are open, is that your preference? I have a Starlight from Neosho fiberglass. I have been very happy with it. Fiberglass, locks , I upgraded to the carpet liner. I have towed this trailer with my Road glide and at least four Guzzis.
    DGarman likes this.
  3. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thank you!..... I've just started looking, so I don't know what I'll end up with.
    I really need to figure out my booth setup..... and decide on tables and/or mesh panels for product.
    The Starlight looks really nice!
  4. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might search atv trailers that you haul your atv out to a trailhead and then hook it behind your atv for hauling wood canoe or whatever .:thumb
    DGarman likes this.
  5. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Good idea!
  6. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    Have you ever pulled a trailer with a bike? It’s usually weight limited to a few hundred pounds including the trailer if you’re concerned about stopping safely.

I’ve pulled a moto-camper and a cargo trailer with a GoldWing, about a 1000# bike. I kept loads to about 350# because you really don’t want trailers to tail wag on a two wheeler.
    DGarman likes this.
  7. SilentRay

SilentRay Hold my beer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been on rides with heavy couples on goldwings pulling rather large trailers . In some sharp turns the loaded trailer pushed them very near the shoulder . Made MY ass pucker !

Think light and pack minimally.
    DGarman likes this.
  8. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input Guys!
    I weigh about 200# and I ride solo..... my product is leather goods, so they don't weigh much on their own..... I'll have to work on making minimalist displays and racks and such.
    I'm figuring that 250# for the trailer and cargo would be a good number to shoot for.

I've even been looking at the 40 X 48 Harbor Freight trailer..... with some better wheel bearings of course..... and a rotating coupler..... I think it only weighs about 125# or so.

Dennis
  9. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    Have you sourced a hitch?
    DGarman likes this.
  10. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Looking for one now..... will probably have to modify an existing one to fit Hondo..... I could fab one up, but I'd rather buy one if possible.
    Oh..... and before anyone freaks out..... I used to build Trophy Trucks in the '90s..... so I'm fairly handy with a Tig welder and I have access to my brother's fab shop!
    Malamute and villageidiot like this.
  11. RickS

RickS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a trailer for sale. I pulled it behind my gold wing. If interested pm me 38E75F1F-39B1-4CD6-BE8A-0A2119606F01.jpeg
    DGarman likes this.
  12. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    You're So Cal, right? I stumbled onto this a few weeks ago:

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tro/d/las-vegas-nice-brown-and-tan-trailer/6981659102.html

I vaguely remember this trailer from a hundred years ago but, I can't remember if it's a larger Bushtec that they made for hot rods or if it was a motorcycle competitor to the Bushtec but, in a larger size. The paint screams 1985 Gold Wing Limited Edition.

Whatever it is, it's a bit large for towing behind a bike but, might be exactly what you're looking for. You could put a 360 degree hitch on it. The cargo area looks to be 5-6 feet long. If you got really desperate, you could make a rack for the top to put your awning on and have lockable storage for your goods.
    DGarman likes this.
  13. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    HitchDoc is the leading moto-hitch supplier and I don't see one on their site. You're probably going to end up making one. Two things working against you on finding one - age of bike and it's not a "touring bike".

HAH! Found one! ->https://northstaratv.com/HarleyDavidsonHitches.aspx

And some trailers I've seen in use ->https://www.timeouttrailers.org/Cargo-Trailer-s/109.htm

Awesome and sturdy ->http://www.billstrailersales.com/trailers/escapade/
    DGarman likes this.
  14. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thanks DH!

Thanks SR!
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    totally do able.

I've seen the HF 40x48 trailer used with great success behind bikes.

theres also an all aluminum one from northern tool that is same dimensions.

likely to be something at tractor supply as well.
    Malamute and DGarman like this.
  16. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Colby!..... I've seen several YT videos of guys using the HF trailer.....
    I'll check out NT and TS also.....
    If I was getting a trailer for going cross country, I'd definitely get one of the enclosed fiberglass ones..... I'll just be going up to 250 miles to an event 2-3 times a year..... I carry my product in a few plastic totes..... I can wrap a trash bag around them if the weather is bad.
    I'm not locked into a particular size of trailer..... I can adjust my booth to work with any trailer.....
    The lighter the trailer, the better..... and replace the wheel bearings with Timkens and put on some better quality tires.....
    Malamute likes this.
  17. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    plastic bags and totes suck. Come on stitcher man, make a waxed cotton canvas cover.
    DGarman likes this.
  18. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Nah..... kind of like the cobbler's kids wearing worn out shoes..... Haha!
    scot_douglas and villageidiot like this.
  19. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I’d be very tempted to just build a trailer.

EZ UP down the middle/tongue draw bar.
    rubbermade action packer on either side of it. 2x4 folding tables (Home Depot has em that fold to 2x2 and go good booth height) strapped down.

done.

canvas cover to fit the whole persona. Ain’t gotta be crazy, just a nice tarp lashed down. Use as ground cloth to sleep on.
    DGarman likes this.
  20. DGarman

Oddometer:
    Colby..... you just nailed my planned loadout to a "T"!.....
    I'm tempted to build a trailer..... but I realize my time is better spent in the leather shop making stuff.....
    I'll buy a trailer..... make a few improvements..... and then use it sparingly as planned.....
    villageidiot likes this.