Looking for a Dragob type road near DC

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by dp3000, May 18, 2020.

1. dp3000

dp3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Moved to the DC area (Arlington) this year. I've read all about the Tail of the Dragon and also read reviews on the Claw of the Dragon around southwest VA, both a bit far for a day trip!

I'm hoping to find something like these a little closer to home, within 1-2 hours of DC where you can ride at a good pace with plenty of corners.

I also know of Skyline Drive but have heard that it can get very busy.

Thanks.

P.S Sorry about the typo, can't seem to fix it now!
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/VieHecGH7YdDX58NA
    Rt 311 in VA.
    This is lots closer but still not close...

Try Skyline if you haven't yet, nice place to ride if you go during the week when it's not mobbed. Not a place to pretend you are on a race track, but really nice.

Btw that typo in the post Subject is going to give me a seizure!
  3. cyjo

cyjo n00bber

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind a bit of slab, 9 West out of Berkeley Springs WV is nice. Also in my neck of the woods is 77 West out of Thurmont, MD, but sections of that are closed at the moment for road resurfacing.
  4. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A ways, but . . . "Back Of The Dragon," Marion to Tazewell (or, vice-versa) on Route 16. 32 miles, 438 curves, 3500 feet elevation (the tail of the "Dragob" doesn't enjoy the vertical relief found here). Meets your criteria, except for distance from the Beltway!
  5. Capt Scoots

Capt Scoots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Skyline & the Blueridge Pkwy would be worth a ride, especially if you can make it mid-week, but be careful with speed. They were handing out big fines, Skyline is 35 mph & the Blue Ridge is 45 mph, but it can be a nice relaxing ride. I've always gotten away with 5 over. If you're looking for nice backroads, with sections of twisties, I could show you around Central MD. I work, so weekends would be best, but a weekday could work out too. We could meet at a Park and Ride at Rte 32 & I-70. There's a lot of good riding in the area.
  6. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    IMO, you need to spend roughly 90 minutes and head to West Virginia (Rt 50) before you strat to find any twisties that are not monitored by people in funny hats.
    goosecreek and cyjo like this.
  7. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    211 between Sperryville and the BRP.
  8. Motocox

Motocox We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer:
    Rt. 33 from Harrisonburg Va. to Davis West by-god.
  9. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Fort Valley road is a decent run!
  10. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

I have not been to this area this year.

Last year, I was in that area several times(looking for twisties.) There were a lot of cops on patrol. On one occasion, in an obvious sting, cops had pulled over a group of sport bikers. I am guessing they were probably enjoying the turns and did not slow down to the speed limit in the straight section. The cops were probably waiting. It was near the entrance to Skyline Drive, if I recall correctly.

Use caution on 211 west of Sperryville.