Looking for a lightweight, fuel-efficient dual-sport for intercontinental travels

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by freedomtoroam, Jun 9, 2020.

1. freedomtoroam

freedomtoroam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Fellow Adventure Riders,

I am rearranging my touring setup from a BMW F700GS to an all-purpose dual-sport. I'm looking for something that is bulletproof, easy to maintain/repair at home and abroad, lightweight, all-terrain capable, and good fuel-efficiency or tank expandability. I want to do some jaunts south of the border and eventually down to Central and South America. I took the GS from the Southeast USA to Nova Scotia this past summer and, though the majority of riding was on-road, it really felt too cumbersome and heavy for the long-distance haul and off-roading (panniers, tools, clothing, camping gear, and rotopax for extra fuel). I've been looking at Japanese dual-sports as they seem to check most of the boxes for a reliable, lightweight dual-sport that can be ridden hard. I have been considering the Suzuki DR-Z 400 and DR650 series, but I would love some suggestions, advice, or guidance on bikes and what to look for in an intercontinental, minimalist setup. Cheers!
  2. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    I shouldn't show you these pics really as you would have to build one, there not off the peg but couldn't resist as there's probably not a box you can't tick with it..!! 20200408_142547.jpg 20200408_142556.jpg
    Hannda and AwDang like this.
  3. freedomtoroam

freedomtoroam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey that's pretty rad! CRF450L? More than I'd like to spend new so I'll take a look at the used market. I will most likely be customizing the next bike anyways...what's the capacity on your aftermarket tank? I'm trying to find the perfect balance between fuel-to-weight and distance ratio.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    You should have posted this in Thumpers since that is the type of bike you are suggesting you want.
    RedEX and cyclopathic like this.
  5. freedomtoroam

freedomtoroam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense, thanks for the direction. I'm still pretty new to the forum so was unsure where exactly to post. Can thread owners or administrators move discussions to the proper forum or do I need to create a new post in Thumpers?
  6. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If staying on mostly good roads paved or not, check on Versys-X300
    danketchpel likes this.
  7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a drz and when it was geared well for off road it wasn’t any good for highways. That being said, they’re cheap and larger tanks are available.
    RedEX likes this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Probably have to send a PM to the Beasts mod and ask them to move it. Of course I have no idea who the mod is for this section or how to find out who that is....
  9. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    [​IMG]
    GB.AdministratorSuper ModeratorSuper Supporter
    Welcome to Beasts! This is where we talk about multi cylinder adventure bikes.
    Please use Thumpers for all single cylinder topics.

Top thread

Just my guess.
  10. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a well set up DRZ but Im down by San Diego. If you are interested PM me for all the details......
  11. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the DR650 is the bike for you. DRZ isn't really geared for highway stints, although it can be pressed into service, and for any other kind of riding should be fine. But the DR650 has a huge parts and accessory aftermarket and can be made into a nice little pack mule for your RTW-type riding. Over in Thumpers, and on DR650 Thread, you may see OhioDanimal posting occasionally from somewhere in South America. His DR650 is a good example of how far you can go with an RTW build for this bike.
    ag_streak and Motopsychoman like this.
  12. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    The bike holds 30litres if you include the jerrycan. It most definitely isn't a crf450 either, sounds like you'll end up getting a thumper of some kind. Good luck, your at the critical stage, choose well....
  13. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    CRF250 with some modifications.*

*CB500X engine.
    Hannda, danketchpel and RedEX like this.
  14. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
  15. freedomtoroam

freedomtoroam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'll be taking the gs for one final, long haul then considering some single cylinder options. Cheers!
  16. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forget the DRZ400. It's a dual sport bike but is poorly suited to travel.

The DR650 is the clear choice. If you can buy one that's already been modded for travel, you'll be ahead of the game.

Avoid the KLR 650. Too heavy, shit suspension & brakes, and a mediocre bike in every sense of the word.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Yes, avoid the KLR.

The DR200 can actually do the job.

The heavy Versys X 300, and DR650 and RE Hima are good too.

The DRZ400 and WR250R like to be ridden hard. With the some mods they will be fine.
    ___
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    CRF250L comes to mind.
    AwDang likes this.
  19. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I will be selling my XChallenge. It has all goodies required for your travels, ready to go including the Touratech tank, Wolfman bags, travel spare parts, and lots of other items. It is ready to go. 22000 miles. I can not think of anything else you will need, except your underwear. This is setup based on years of overseas travel experiences. . The is THE bike for your intended purposes. PM me if interested so I can get you further details.
  20. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Another vote for a CRF250L
    Do it all hammer, well except for the 80mph interstates outwest, at altitude with a headwind, that is.