Looking for a lightweight, fuel-efficient dual-sport for intercontinental travels

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by freedomtoroam, Jun 9, 2020.

1. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not look at a modified CB500X? That bike seems to tick a whole bunch of boxes for your needs.

I'd also consider the Versys 650 & 300, maybe a Vstrom 650 but it's a bit heavy and big feeling. I personally think the Versys 300 might be a bit too high strung for long pavement runs.

But I "think" my first choice might a CB500X with some suspension upgrades etc, maybe partial Rally Raid kit?
  2. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    You're my new hero.
    RedEX likes this.
  3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Not mine. I didn't do it.

I just happened to observe a thread where a Canadian fellow butchered his CRF250 then resurrected it with more mota! Then a couple of others who, inspired by him, undertook the same modifications.

Not one bad word about the combo from these hackers geniuses. Other than "I should have done it sooner."
    Hannda and AwDang like this.
  4. johno_slc

johno_slc '08 Weestrom

Oddometer:
    Mmm I owned a 2008 VStrom. I wouldn't find it well suited to your goals. I consider them to be the Trans Am of adventure bikes--plastic looks good, but the performance doesn't match. Too to heavy, too heavy at all.

Now the later model years are definitely better in terms of weight and top heavinesd, so maybe you could consider that. I understand several South American cities' police departments ride the VStrom, so parts may actually be available, too.

Ymmv, but if you're leaving the GS world due to weight, stepping over a Strom isn't going to get you anywhere.

I'm with the others: DR650.
  5. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I should note that in at least one of the various "Unicorn Bike" threads a couple years ago, one of the guys who built one stated that the CRF500L is still a compromised machine in its own right - more heavy-feeling than the original 250L at low speeds, somewhat less composed over distance than the 500X or any other polycylinder bike (I believed he used the CRF1000L Africa Twin as his personal reference point), and it takes a ton of hard and precise effort to build one

not to say that it's a bad bike or bad idea - I have never ridden nor even seen one in person, unlike both the 500X and 250L, of which I have ~4300 miles on the latter - but know that it's not a perfect cure-all, because the engineering necessary to make a perfect 50/50 adventure machine is extremely difficult and often outright contradictory

anyways, I'm a fan of the CRF250L and WR250R for liquid-cooled reliability and EFI, but the DR650 and XR650L are also both brilliant if you don't mind carburetion in exchange for some serious low-end grunt
  6. hammerun

hammerun Secret Eleventh Commandment - never fear.

Oddometer:
    KTM 390 Adventure?
  7. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second that. If the reliability lives up to Japanese standards.
  8. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    CRF 450L

[​IMG]

AJP PR-7

[​IMG]
  9. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On this point I'll have to agree. Just finished a 4000mi loop from So CA that reached MT, on my Rally-Raid CBX. Used less gas then the AT & Big GS along for part. Wore out chain & r-tire, took me down every (dirt) road I pointed it at. Mine a 2016 ABS model. Great balance between dirt & highway. Could always use more HP or another gear, but not if it gives up it's manners on FS roads.

Mike B
    20200615_070922.jpg
    Hannda likes this.
  10. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would consider SWM Superdual X or T (18"/21" or 17"/19" wheel sizes). It comes with everything you need from factory sans GPS:
    swm.jpg

https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/04/article/swm-superdual-x-review/
    Hannda likes this.