Looking for a riding buddy in Cali+ this fall, winter, or spring.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cmattina, Jul 19, 2019.

1. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I got the desert bug last year on a trip through the States, which included Colorado and Utah. I also get a little cagey over the winter and wish I could do a week or two trip somewhere warm.

I'm thinking of bringing my DR650 down to palm springs (non-stop flights from Winnipeg+) this late summer/early fall, and flying back. There are a couple cheap storage places I found that can fit two or 3 bikes. I would love to split on the storage fee with someone. We can get it for as low as 33US per month per person (25 per person in a less secure spot). If the bike is down there, I feel that make for a pretty cheap winter vacation after factoring in flights.

Of course I am happy to ride alone and just share the cost of storage, but it would also be cool to find someone to ride with.

Death Valley, Mojave, Baja, Etc. are quite close to Palm Springs. And when it warms up, a bit, figure Utah is do-able as well.

I'm a normal guy with average off road riding skills.
    Steve G. likes this.
  2. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think you will have any problem finding riding friends down here. For info on local rides and riders you should follow the LA Adventure Rides thread. Great people and they are always putting together rides in the areas you mention (all various skill levels and bike sizes).

The Noobs Rally and the Pahrump Rally might be of interest to you too. One is in the spring and one is in the fall (when it's not too hot or cold). Same Mojave/Death Valley area.

Hope that is helpful.
    Steve G. and cmattina like this.
  3. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It is helpful. A big concern is the storage issue. Expensive down there, but if I share the cost with one or two people, it's feasible!
    Steve G. likes this.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you considered Las Vegas as a storage base? Only because it’s so close to Death Valley. Of which I’m rather smitten, off road wise.
  5. cmattina

Oddometer:
    I have considered it, but have not found storage priced as low as I've found in Palm springs. I'm open to ideas or suggestions on places to store though!

EDIT:

Scratch that, finding some decent rates.

I guess my preference was palm springs because i know the city, the area, and have some family friends there. But Vegas and phoenix do not sound bad either. Would really just like to get the storage expense to a minimum. I think 3 bikes could get into a 100 dollar locker.
    Steve G. likes this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pay 45.00/month in Tempe 5 minutes from Sky Harbor airport.
    rob1313, cmattina and Steve G. like this.
  7. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I still prefer palm springs for it's proximity to so much, but then again, from a bit of research phoenix doesnt seem to bad either.
    Steve G. and Cal like this.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem with Palm Springs is the air fare from Calgary, it is always $100.00 more than to Phoenix
    Steve G. likes this.
  9. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a bike in storage in Vegas each winter for a while now. $50 a month. It’s the only thing that keeps me sane through the winter.
    I went to the noobs rally for the first time this year and it was awesome. I hope to go again. I’ve been all over DV, Mexico, Moab it’s been great. I highly recommend it.

I’m away on a B.C. run right now. I’ll look up the area you’re thinking once I’m home.
    Steve G. likes this.
  10. cmattina

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely warming to the idea of Vegas because of the cheaper flights and storage than palm springs. I have some family friends in Palm springs I can stay with occasionally, so that is a draw there.

I still want to try and share a locker with one or two people. Could be $20 a month savings each which adds up over the course of a couple years.

I found a drive up 10x10 for $94/Month in Vegas. That's the best deal so far.
    Steve G. likes this.
  11. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    For a single bike last year I used affordable storage. I paid $50 a month, and it was a drive up. 5x10 unit. Narrow door, but my bike has always fit.
    Steve G. and Cal like this.
  12. cmattina

Oddometer:
    What kinda bike is it? Think you can squeeze two in there (facing different directions perhaps)?

I know I sound like a cheapskate. But, i figure $25/month saving equals the price of a round trip to Vegas from Winnipeg.

$600US a year is a bit much compared to $300US a year.

It CAN be done.
    Steve G. likes this.
  13. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I was using a DL 1000 then. I often thought that a person could squeeze another bike into the space, the problem is the door opening. The one I'm using in Abbotsford right now I have to turn the bars side to side to get the bike to go into the door opening. It's that narrow. (Super Tenere in this case) If you were talking a Dr 650 and a DRZ 400 I could see it as being more feasible. Plus a new scratch on a true dual sport isn't really going to be noticed.
    Steve G. likes this.
  14. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Hm

Yeah im on a dr650 with acerbis tank,barkbusters (etc.). So, I'm able to just stick it wherever (if it fits, it sits).

If you're on a super tenere, i don't know if it would be a good match (yes, I was seriously asking to share in my post. LOL). I guess that depends on you aversion to scratches tho.

I have a couple buddies that are considering it, but they're not really the "adventurous" type. 5 hour drive are their longest adventures.
    Steve G. likes this.
  15. MikeRC

MikeRC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, as an open discussion I am going to do this this winter. I'm done with regular, scheduled work in mid-October and moving one or both bikes down south at that point (KLX400SR and R1200GS). I like Palm Springs for the proximity of storage to the airport, SoCal pavement and unpaved. Phoenix for flight costs and some roads around there I have yet to explore. Las Vegas would be my last choice. I am already committed to a 4 week moto trip in South America November/December and winter vacation with SWMBO late January-February. So the bikes would sit unused most of the winter. But it still saves me shipping/trailering costs in January & March when I can spend 2-4 weeks down south.

Mike
    Steve G. and rob1313 like this.
  16. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike. I was kind of hoping for an open discussion.

Las Vegas is good for flight prices, proximity to DV and Utah and storage prices are decent too. Pahrump noobs rally is close too.

Palm springs is good for Baja proximity as well as a couple other spots. Storage and flights are most expensive though. I did find a 10x10 in Palm springs for $100. One single unit, secured condo area (privately advertised). That is the absolute cheapest. I guess a 10x10 would fit a big GS and a dr650, or three dr650s.
    Steve G. likes this.
  17. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking this year I'm going to change it up a bit. I usually ride down in September and leave the bike there for the winter, but this year I'm thinking I'll wait until around Christmas and load two bikes in the van and leave the works down there. I'm still not sure where.

Of note, talk to your insurance company. A lot of them are none too pleased to find out you're leaving the bike down south for extended periods of time. I actually changed insurance companies for this reason. Also be aware that they will ask at the border if you are leaving anything in the country. I tell them I'm leaving it for the winter and bringing it back in the spring. They've been a tad sour about this but have never told me I can't. I suspect the sourness is because at one point I left a bike stateside for 3 years.....
    Steve G. likes this.
  18. cmattina

Oddometer:
    My insurance company is pretty permissive. Never asked me about leaving it last time I road it down.
    Steve G. likes this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents..... you do not want to leave your bike in the storage during the summer months, the lockers get up to over 150 F!! Forks seals and batteries take a beating. My friend left his in Tempe and his new battery was toast, he also had one of those lithium jumper batteries that had completly exploded from the heat! Rubber and vinyl take a beating. Mine stays from Oct to April.
    Steve G., MikeRC and rob1313 like this.
  20. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I was lucky, the first time I did it I landed a climate controlled inside unit (had to tell them the fuel was drained) so I wasn't too worried about cooking the bike. Getting the bike into the door and around the corner in the hallway, and then backed into the unit was fun. I'll bet my tire tracks are still on the opposite wall.

Cals got a very good point, watch your time frames.
    Steve G. likes this.