Looking for a riding buddy in Cali+ this fall, winter, or spring.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cmattina, Jul 19, 2019.

1. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m looking to ride down to Palm Springs in early October . Have to be there for Thanksgiving . I don’t need storage space but would like to ride with someone if times work out . I have storage but for 50.00 a month I would consider sharing a space . I have a big 1150 GS need a lot of space .
    Thank you
    North Rider
  2. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Almost sounds like we should all pick a central location at least :)
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is no way 2 bikes will fit in a 5x10 unless they are 250,s I tried a f650gs and a xr650l and it was a no go.
    Steve G. and MikeRC like this.
  4. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a 5x8 trailer from another thread.
    kenstone1_Seca%20II_TightFit-1.jpg

As I see it, a storage space is to store a bike. I don't see myself needing to move around in there, just drag it out two or three times a year.

My bike is a DR650 with Acerbis tank. Scrattching, rubbing, falling over, etc., is not really a consideration...

the widest part of a DR650 is about 3 feet, and that is the handlebars. I predict if the bikes were facing different directions, and were touching if needed, it would be okay.

I wouldn't store bikes like that in my garage if i had to move them more than a few times in the season, or if they are classics with perfect paint.
    Steve G. likes this.
  5. cmattina

Oddometer:
    I am flexible in my location.

Las Vegas sounds somewhat appealing because of the flight costs, storage costs and its proximity to Pahrump, Death Valley and Utah. I have also heard that nice hotels are fairly cheap there as well (as long as you don't have the urge to gamble).

Palm Springs was my original location because i had found some cheap storage privately advertised, have family friends, and its proximity to Baja.

Arizona has a lot of options, and it seems to be a fairly popular place for storage.
    Steve G. likes this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That trailer has a full width door, the locker I have has a roll up with 6 inchs not available on each side plus my panniers are bolted on. I wish you luck trying to share a locker, let us know how it works out in the end. It just seems like a lot of hassel for little gain. Arizona has lots of storage, A & S in Tempe is great because the cab ride from the airport is only $15.00, I know of some guys who have a $50.00 cab ride to storage.
    I store in Tempe because I ride in Mexico where my average hotel is $15.00
    yamahamxr, rob1313 and Steve G. like this.
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been following this thread with interest. I can’t tell if there is the makings of a dedicated group, or a dedicated riding area or destination. I watch in envy.
    Regarding the trailer comments, I bought and set up a 6’x12’ single axle trailer 3 years ago, which I use for winter runs south to warm weather riding. 2 yrs ago, I loaded a 1200gs, Africa Twin 1000, and 800gs without issue, and parked at the Vegas McCarren airport extended time oversized parking lot. Safe, secure, central. Vegas is very handy to Death Valley, and Laughlin/Bullhead City. Although I’m sure in the full January winter, the pass northwest out of the Vegas bowl to Pahrump will be bloody cold.
    I will continue watching this thread,,,,and may ask to join you guys if the destination, time of year, ride theme, and obligatory time request off of work all line up.
    rob1313, Cal and cmattina like this.
  8. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I’ll keep the thread updated with whatever foolishness I get up to :)

Of note. A couple years ago I went over the LA in January. Snow at the top. Not good at all. I made it, but it was damned cold and wet. My advice, go south then west :)
    Cal, cmattina and Steve G. like this.
  9. cmattina

Oddometer:
    All went well. I can confirm that two DR 650s fit easily into a 5x10 with room to spare. Door size, even if smaller would not have been an issue.

Definitely worth the $$$ (hundreds?) in savings.

20190928_164514.jpg
    MikeRC likes this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks good , those DR's are smaller than the DL! lol Where did you end up at?
  11. cmattina

Oddometer:
    Would def
    Would definitely be different with a DL... Perhaps possible though. Ended up in Vegas. Very cheap flights from Midwest. Was a long ride with some nice spots and stops. Pretty good price on storage.
    Steve G. likes this.