Looking for a Riding Gear Closet for the Garage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Schmittenhymer, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    Something to hold a half a dozen jackets, pants and a couple of helmets.
    Anything out there that's not just cheap wood?
  2. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple I've seen at Home Depot. Relatively inexpensive. my criteria are: shelves/cubbies for helmet and boots, shelf for miscellaneous stuff, hanging rod for jackets and pants (or a one-piece suit).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetM...Freestanding-Cabinet-in-White-12336/100580672

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Tvilu...MI04Okn4fH5AIVFtNkCh1WYAztEAQYASABEgINGfD_BwE

I had something similar to the first link at my last garage. Loved that I could keep my riding gear someplace other than my bedroom closet. Unfortunately, it didn't make the move with me 12 years ago.....and no space for such a piece of furniture in my current garage.
    Grreatdog likes this.
  4. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might check craigslist. Here is a free one local to me. I was recently in a habitat for humanity type store and saw some very similar to this( metal) in the $20-$30 range.
    upload_2019-9-11_7-10-40.jpeg
    Amphib and Ironforge like this.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used the white one until my wife appropriated it. Now I use the winch post on my boat trailer. :lol3
    Amphib, maydaymike and racer1735 like this.
  6. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorta back story, in Germany most people in cities live in rented apartments. New blocks since 1945 have an underground bomb shelter/garaging. You get allocated a numbered spot, some times you can buy into an extra one. Lots of people who do this also rent a park space size cage for storage. You can also get smaller cages the size of a wardrobe that will fit in your regular spot if you have a small car.

TL:DR
    Basically a wiremesh wardrobe. Very simple construction, you could use a 2" weldmesh, cut and or fold it where necessary. Use hog wire clips to hold it together. If the mesh turns out floppy, staple some battens or tie some rebar in the corners - could make the legs too.
    How sophisticated does it have to be? Maybe some thin ply on top to help with dust.
    luftkoph likes this.
  7. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple of s-hooks like are used to hang a bicycle up put into the ceiling with a heavy curtain rod between them to hang the gear from on hangers. A couple of hooks that are used to hang large PCV pipe...can pickup at Home Depot or Lowe’s....screwed into the walls are great for hanging helmets on.
    Arbolmano and Tall Man like this.
  8. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Might want to include space for dehumidifier, boot glove dryer
    anotherguy likes this.
  9. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    Not a closet so no dust protection but I have a Triton Products modular clothes rack in my garage for riding gear. Basically the right half of this.
    [​IMG]

If you contact Triton directly you can buy as much or as little of their product as you need. There pegboard hooks are the bomb too/
  10. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did something similar. I bought a plastic shelving unit with 18" deep shelves, and left out the 2nd from the top shelf. Then I used thick heavy duty zip ties to suspend a broom handle as a hanger rod. Plenty of room for all of my gear, and it sticks out one end for extra hanging space (I use it for my courier bag).
  11. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is not exactly what you are looking for, but I encourage you to check out your local 2nd hand building supply place, habitat for humanity, etc IF you are trying to do this economically.

The two attached photos show two cabinets I picked up yesterday for $10.
    FB22E18E-BF53-4E9B-8330-0C59FFBF43FC.jpeg 716DDF5C-FA93-41B1-8F8E-B2B7B3D70D82.jpeg
  12. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem with open shelving in some locales is dust. Even with an enclosed garage.
  13. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

In my garage, the problem is spiders. They'll take up residence in anything that sits for a day or so. Leave your helmet sitting out for a few days, and you'd better check it for webs before putting it on.

I keep my jackets/pants in our guest room closet, but a nice cabinet in the garage would be great to store helmets. It would just have to seal like a refrigerator. :D
    anotherguy likes this.
  14. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I keep everything inside. Too many issues in the garage.
    mitchapalooza and anotherguy like this.
  15. Dagofast

Dagofast Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer:
    We use one of these. Yeah, it's from Ikea so it is "cheap wood" but it works.
  16. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made space in the mechanical room for most of my stuff as it is inside the house without any dust or insect issues. Went to take a picture today and noticed the wife has claimed a shelf for some preserves though. :hmmmmm

20190918_170646.jpg
  17. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe an old refrigerator....that’ll seal out the spiders and bugs.
  18. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nature abhors a vacuum. So does my wife.

We moved to a bigger home, and we had tons of empty basement space. Soon, the floor began to be covered with boxes of her "stuff", and she let our adult daughter store some of her crap "because we have room and she does not".

So I built a shelving unit, 2'D x 8'L x 6'H.

And then another, to keep stuff we never use...

When she said we needed a third, I built it on a day she was away from home. Then I filled half of it with boxes containing rocks from the creek, taped shut and marked "Toyota spares".

Sorry dear, no room for more shelves.

I expect we will be "downsizing" in 8-10 years. It will be easy to get rid of the rocks.

Back on-topic: If your gear is Hi-Viz, you want a light-tight storage cabinet that will block UV light . The fluorescence results from a chemical reaction between UV and pigments in the material that produces visible light, and those reactive pigments are eventually used up. Save them for the road.
    cal08 likes this.
  19. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant.