1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Looking for a riding partner Dual Sport SE Texas

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ssilliman, Sep 12, 2019.

1. ssilliman

ssilliman Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been riding a long time not any dirt for years.
    Looking for someone around the Houston (Im in Conroe) area to partner up with to ride street and some trail.
    Im good with long days in the saddle and tend to ride above the posted limit.
    Im not good at stopping and smelling the roses ( hope to improve and take some pictures. )
    Im headed to Arkansas the 28th to spend 4 days riding.
    ssilliman2@gmail.com
  2. toolfooldan

toolfooldan Need a witty/profound phrase to put here...

Oddometer:
    You should also check out TWTEX.com for other riders in your area.
    ssilliman likes this.
  3. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto!
    ssilliman likes this.
  4. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

We are too far apart for day rides, I'm in San Antonio. I have been riding many years, dirt/street, tend to ride a little up tempo enjoying long days in the saddle. I stop for water or take a picture without getting off the bike and smell the roses as I go by. I bring snacks with me and like to take a break when I find a nice place in the shade to relax a short while.
  5. ssilliman

Oddometer:
    I always love an excuse to ride the hill country. Maybe you can show me some new roads I have not had a chance to take the GSA off road except a couple of forest dirt roads
  6. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gravel roads in the Hill Country can be fun, just have to watch out for concrete water crossings, they are slick.

I'm headed for Colorado next Saturday for a week riding in cooler weather and great roads.
  7. ssilliman

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I did my big ride for the year already 9000 miles 19 days. Im leaving the 28th for Arkansas hoping it has cooled a bit by then. No bad roads in Colorado except I25
  8. shooter_t1

shooter_t1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Conroe also. How about some single track in the SHF.? I'm new to the Adv bikes but have been riding Moto/street/SM most of my life. A Buddy and I ride our xx90 Adv R's pretty well anywhere that looks fun and is legal. We are always looking for others to ride with.
  9. ssilliman

Oddometer:
    Would love to
    Leaving Saturday for Arkansas but sometime after would be great
    Ssilliman2@gmail.com
  10. shooter_t1

shooter_t1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I'm going to be gone awhile too. Give some time for the temps to come down too.
  11. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in Pearland with G310GS. The gravel roads at SHF are fun but not super long. Do you know of any single tracks there open enough for a GSA? I was there last month and all the east trails were closed for maintenance. I tried a couple of the west trails with a buddy riding a KTM 1290 adv and we did not make it very far before having to turn around due to fallen trees not low enough to go over and not high enough to go under. One could probably throw a light dirt bike over it but not an ADV bike. Add the heat/humidity and the sandy patches to that and you’re in for a good workout...
    I figured I was not at the right trail(s) since I've heard of others riding single tracks there with larger bikes. Although to do it with a GSA you really need to ride at a level I don’t believe I’ll achieve in this lifetime. If you have instagram lookup @blakedragesku videos at the SHNF on his 1200gsa
  12. shooter_t1

shooter_t1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got on some single track the other day that was whooped out in places, and a bit of a challenge, but fun as hell on my 1090 R . Heck, depending on tires, you should be able to get just about anywhere on that 310. Now, there were a couple of guys on some big Beemers (GSA 1200's) that I saw when I crossed 1375, but they were staying off the single track. My bikes a workout at 500-510 lbs wet, so I can't blame them on those even heavier bikes.
  13. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. shooter_t1

shooter_t1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^ Kelly's pond. Between 208 Trailhead and KP Trailhead. Crosses 1375. I played around in there practicing through the whoops. About 3-4 miles. I was trying the different riding modes. TC on/off, offroad, sport, ABS on/off etc.
    fbga likes this.
  15. shooter_t1

shooter_t1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll bump this thread. I rode the North Balloon Trail in the Sam Houston Forest last week a couple of times. It's about 7.5 to 8 miles of single track and while it was challenging on my 1090R it was also a blast. It's especially fun to see the faces of the dirt bike riders when I come out at the trail heads on my big bike. What I found sad though, was all last week I didn't run into anyone else on a big bike in the woods. I did make some believers out of a couple of XR 250 guy's though. :)
    I'm out of town till the 14th of Dec, but if anyone wants to hit the trail mid Dec (weather permitting), hit me up here and maybe we can ride. The sense of satisfaction I get from riding my 500 lbs adv bike on the tight trails is the exact reason I bought this bike.
    fbga likes this.
  16. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have very limited dirt riding skills but also have a lighter bike than yours... I might join to see how far I can handle ...
    shooter_t1 likes this.
  17. shooter_t1

shooter_t1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's easier then you think. Your bike should be no problem. My buddy on his 1290SAR is going to tackle it next month with me. Should be fun.
    fbga likes this.
  18. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Spring and would welcome the chance to ride with some others in the area. Am currently planning on riding the CDT next Aug if some others would be interested.
    shooter_t1 likes this.
  19. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your going to try the CDC in mid winter?
  20. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hit me up when you get back I've been out there a few times riding