Looking for a route suggestion - Ottawa to Dawson City

Discussion in 'Canada' started by advnirvana, Jun 3, 2009.

1. advnirvana

advnirvana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of taking some time off work and heading up to Dawson City for D2D. The earliest I can leave the Ottawa area is June 20th. I would like to make D2D, but if I do not it wont be the end of the world.

Looking for some suggestions on getting through Ontario and the western provinces.
    Open to any suggestions, however I would like to stay on the Canadian side for the trip. I might head into the US on the way back.

I would like to camp with the ocassional hotel/motel stay . I will be riding a well equipped 2007 GSA. Have no problems putting some long riding miles in.

I was thinking about just jumping on the road and riding west with no specific plan, but I wouldnt mind some suggestions of what to see and what to avoid.

Thanks
    Andy
    2007 R1200 GSA
    1994 Defender 90
  2. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it took over 7 years to get a reply, and I have no information for ya, but I am heading to D2D in June of 2017 for the 25th anniversary - leaving Ottawa June 5th, returning July 5 or so.
    If you have any route info to share, or if you are interested in joining - please feel free to let me know.
  3. Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's D2D?
  4. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D2D is a motorcycle gathering ( not a rally) that happens on the summer solstice in Dawson City. There is some information on D2D 2016 in the Alaska forum. Been there for 3 of the events, looking at going back in 2017 for the 25th anniversary.
  5. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the OP dates from 2009, I certainly hope the trip has come and gone.
    I would hate to think he's been waiting all this time for a response.
  6. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, I agree statsman. I guess I should start a new thread for the 2017 ride. Looks like it's gonna be quite a time
  7. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    100_2234.JPG Signpost Forest

1106.JPG
    A side trip from Whitehorse YT to Skagway AK

100_2595.JPG
    A wet one from this past June, the Junction of BC16 and #37

IMG_20160604_091237075.jpg
    Another route option from southern BC to the north is to ride to Vancouver Island and depart from Port Hardy at the north coast of the Island via BC Ferry service to Prince Rupert. A bit mores costly but heck..I'm worth it.

Not sure what kind of "route options" there are for getting out of Ontario to head for Dawson... from commercial truck experience of years ago, I recollect that you got 2 choices to get over Lake Superior while remaining in Canada. Nice ride if you don't mind black flies, and near identical scenery for two or so days. My personal preference from southern ON is to cross into Michigan at Windsor, pick up I 75 to the Mackinaw Bridge, then head west on #2. Its a great ride with bits of slab and lots of "rural" secondary paved road taking you thro' Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana and Idaho. The #2 meets Idaho/BC 95 just north of Bonners Ferry Idaho, and heading north up the 95 to Eastport Idaho puts you back at the border crossing into Canada (Eastport-Kingsate) where my shack is, on the banks of the mighty Moyie River.

BC 95 will take you all the way from the border to Golden BC to connect with the Trans Can #1 west, you ride over Rogers pass and continue west into Kamloops BC ..the northward "off road" travel options open up considerably once you get onto #97 north of Kamloops.... another option that will take you due west is to go a short hop on BC#95 north to Curzon Junction with BC#3, and thats a straight shot thro' southern BC along some great river valleys and over some grand passes, eventually hooking up with BC 97 in Osoyoos...or if back at the #2/95 junction in Idaho you head south towards Bonners then Sandpoint Idaho you can pick up the #2 westbound that will hook you up to Washington #20. Great bike country on well maintained secondary hiway thro' eastern Cascades and staying on that route will take you to Washington/BC #97 at Tonasket WA where turning north puts you entering Canada at Osoyoos BC. The #97 north will take you straight up thro' the Okanagan to Kamloops.

Are you lost yet ??

or ...look at the Trans Canada #1 route all the way from ON across Flatistan to BC, and at the #1/BC 93 junction head up the Icefields Parkway past Jasper and onto #16 west to Prince George BC. From P George you can either head due west continuing on the #16 which will eventually place you at the junction of the Cassiar Hiway/BC #37..the location of the iconic Alaska sign at the Petro Can Station. Heading north on #37 gives you and optional side trip from Meziadin Jct west to Stewart BC/Hyder AK, or skipping the side trip and staying on #37 thro northern BC's finest landscapes with another optional side trip from Dease Lake to Telegraph Creek BC. .. or carry on straight up #37 to Watson Junction YT where the #37 meets the Alcan Hiway a few kms west of Watson Lake, location of the Signpost Forest.... or at Prince George turn north on BC 97 and ride to Dawson Creek were the Alcan Hiway starts...either way The Alcan will ride you all the way to Whitehorse YT and then onto YT #2 north to Dawson ..just in time for the 25th D2D. See ya there...
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another option for a GSA is to get off-road on the TCAT, Trans Canada Adventure Trail which is an off-road route from coast to coast even if they're been paving the Trans Labrador Highway. People are investigating an alternate route through Nova Scotia/New Brunswick.

Go to graveltravel.ca for more info, the GPS tracks are free.
  9. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the input inmates.
    Right now, at this very early stage in teh planning process, I have these ideas:
    I want to ride the Top of The World highway, Dawson City to the Alaskan border @ Little Gold
    I want to ride north from Stewart Crossing to Keno City on the Silver Trail
    And I think I have decided to ride the Icefields Parkway north to highway 16, on to Prince George, to Kitwanga, to Cassia highway to Upper Liard.
    From there I will probably stay on #1 to Whitehorse. . .
    No matter what the route, it is bound to be on hell of an adventure!
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Icefields Parkway is a very nice ride, well worth it.
    cal08 likes this.
  11. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Keno is a nice detour. Make sure you make the trek up to signpost hill.
    Telegraph Creek is another nice detour off the Cassiar at Deese Lake.
    The Campbell Hwy is a nice ride from Watson Lake to Carmacks.
  12. soberjoe

Oddometer:
    Thank you skibum69 and The Maz. I will definitely make a point of getting up to signpost hill. I rode the Icefields Parkway in 2012 heading up to Jasper and will definitely travel that route again on this adventure.
  13. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some great stops mentioned on here already. Eagle Alaska is a great ride in off the Top of The World Highway. Kennicot Mine at McCarthy a must see if you are in the area. Hatcher Pass is a very nice ride across to Palmer and has an old mine ruins on the way that you can tour.
    If you get to Keno take the time to tour the mining museums, some pretty cool stuff there.
    You will have no problem filling in a month, in fact you will wish for more time once you get into it.
    June is a great month to travel up there as you beat the worst of the tourist rush. I have done it a few times in June and the weather has been good as well.
  14. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Trans Canada is boring so go north or go south

For straight through quick riding I agree on #2 through Sault Ste. Marie and along the southern side of the Canadian border. Nice and rural and you can easily take lesser travelled routes heading in the same direction.

The TCAT will have a more northern, more rural route with lots of gravel. The way I plan on doing my next trip west.

While up north I'd be sure to hit the Canol.
  15. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    Hey Fellow riders....keep me on the radar should you need a place to crash or change tires..I am on the way to the North..Edmonton, Alberta.
  16. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May have too look you up for that!