Looking for another rider, SF-Prudhoe Bay, June

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by deepcdiver, Nov 21, 2004.

1. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    Am planning on a trip from the SF Bay area to Prudhoe Bay this June or July, and would be interested in hooking up with a like minded traveler, will be riding a KLR650, some camping, some hotels....
  2. ggemelos

ggemelos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother and I were planning on doing that trip this coming summer. We don't have a fixed schedule yet. We are also planning on camping and the occasional hotel. It would be nice to share information or even join up for the trip.
  3. Ultrafirebike

Ultrafirebike Flaccid Member

Oddometer:
    It ain't exactly the UCC, but a bunch of us over at the MTF are planning a 48 Plus! at the end of May. Check here and this thread too.
    The 48 plus! will have three start points: East coast is Maine, West coast..I'm not sure, and Midwest is near Omaha. (I know about the East coast cause I'm planning that leg of it.

If none of that interests you...look around anyway, lots of good info there. Mention my name and Wheeldog will buy you a beer in Alaska.

[​IMG]
  4. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    Maybe we can make our trips join up. Check out my thread - with no responses yet - - - I'm happy to see that you're planning something similar.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60880

I will be coming up the west coast after spending a few days in Baja or if I'm behind schedule direct from Southern CA. I'm working out dates this month.

I did a ride to Alaska from the Chicago area in 2003. Alaskan Highway there and the Cassier Highway back. Lots of things to take your time with on a trip like this. In 03 I rode my cruiser, this time I will be riding my GS. I prefer camping and riding vs hotels and big meals. Let me know. Larry
  5. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    Is the purpose of starting in Maine to duplicate the route by Ron Ayers.

I would think that starting in Vt and heading over to HN and then Maine would be better.
  6. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    The purpose in starting Maine is it's the nearest of the 4 corners (maybe) to me and I want to end up in Alaska. No desire to do all 48 this year. That's on target for 2007 (If I lose the IBA Rally lottery again) or 2008. Seems like I'm out of sync with your group. I wish I would have done the MTF UCC last year, but . . . I'll be looking forward to reading about your ride. Larry
  7. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Im planning a trip from New Zealand in June , start in L.A. buy bike, up to Alaska for longest day at Dawson then down to Sturgis, want to buy 2nd hand DR650. Do the suzuki dealers have a web site with bikes for sale. Cheers Toddy
  8. BARB

BARB Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Hello Toddy, glad you found the site. You might even check out the Vstrom 650, it's more comfortable than the DR for long distances. Not as good off road as but it would be fine for the trip you are planning. Barb
  9. real gone

real gone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many days were you planning on traveling?
  10. CraigTransalp

CraigTransalp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Toddy,
    People in SoCal generally use the weekly "Recycler" that gets published and is in Liquor stores, supermarkets, and online at: http://www.recycler.com/asp/rmail.asp
    Ebay.com is another good place.
    Their are a few DRs around at dealerships. They usually are priced high though. This is your least likely source.
    If I was interested, I would join the DR usergroup at Yahoogroups.com then post your nterest to buy used in SoCal. Same idea for XR's too.
    Good luck,
    Craig
  11. CraigTransalp

Oddometer:
    When I go back to Alaska, I'm gonna use Cassier Wilderness Road in British Columbia up and back. The AlCan highway in central BC is a waste of time.
    Let the 18wheelers have it!
    Craig
  12. CraigTransalp

Oddometer:
  13. Ultrafirebike

Ultrafirebike Flaccid Member

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay...Yes, the purpose of thie Maine start is to follow the Ron Ayers route. I am one of the ride coordinators for the 48 Plus! for the MTF. We've been in contact with Ron about the run, and we'll be seeing him in Hyder at Hyder Seek. I've taken his book and plotted a course following his route down to the Gas stations and Hotels he used with a few minor variations. (The Hawkeye Truckstop in Iowa City has been closed down, so alternate plans have been made)
    We are Adding Mexico into the mix which will add about 500 miles to the route.
    The other two starts are variations as well, meaining they all have Mexico, and one is shooting for a 10/10ths certificate as well. (I'm not a certificate whore, so I will only go for the 48 Plus! and not any others that I could get along the way [BBG orBorder to Border])

The other LD events this year at the MTF are the annual Poker Run From Hell...this year in Texas. The PRFH is 5 days, 5,000 miles. At the same time, there will be some Adventure rides, some Flower Sniffin' rides, and the first RAT IB ride. The RAT is the Ride Around Texas..closely following the border of Texas all around the state. This will be a new Iron Butt Ride this year. The planning is being done now and the ride is in October. There is another 50CC/100CCC ride planned in the spring as well.

There are more rides in the planning stages for '06...but that is too far off as of yet.
  14. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Don't forget D2D
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10945&page=179&pp=10