Looking For Anyone Riding North of Gangtok, Sikkim, West Bengal in March 2019

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Edmond Dantès, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès The Kanto Pain

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,
    Looking for anyone who might be riding up to North Sikkim during March (this month).

I hope to ride up to Lachen, and Thangu Valley, and Lachung and beyond to The Yumthang Valley, Zero Point.

It looks like I can get a Protected Area Permit in Gangtok, but the problem is that solo motorcyclists are not permitted in those areas. You have to ride in a group of at least two bikes.

I will be Sikkim from March 10th- March 31st. My schedule is very flexible.

If there is anyone who is going to be in the area in March (this month), and looking for a riding buddy to get around this solo riding prohibition let me know.

Also if you are a group of riders heading up that way and wouldn't mind me tagging along, I would really appreciate it if I could join your group.

The more I study the map of that region the more restricted areas are popping up. I can't get to Nathula Pass, Tsomgo Lake, Nathang Valley, Zuluk with zig zag roads and the highest altitude golf course in the world, The Yak Golf Course. Foreign nationals straying too near the Tibet Border seems to be a big no-no.

Also, anyone with any information, recommends, advice, I would appreciate it.

Best wishes to all.
  2. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul. Was there a couple of years back. Couldn't go further north from Gantok because I was solo, no exceptions to the rule. No other tourists were in town and no bikers. Line up a partner before arrival because getting one there is impossible.

A note on the roads.....Worst roads in all of india are up in Sikkim. Was there in the monsoon and they broke me, you know I'm no slouch. Best of luck buddy!
    Edmond Dantès likes this.
  3. Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès The Kanto Pain

Oddometer:
    Chat, How's it going dude?
    Thanks for the info on Sikkim. Just got back after nearly a month tooling around in the area.
    You are so right regarding the situation up there. I managed to go up to the Seven Sisters Waterfall north of Gangtok, and that was about as far as I could go.
    So true about trying to find a buddy to hook up with and ride further north of Gangtok. No chance.

Man those roads in Sikkim are tough. I got a puncture on the road from Pelling up to Yuksom and that was a major pain because I was carrying no tire irons and Yuksom doesn't even have a gasoline station, let alone a mechanic.

Heavens knows what those roads are like during the monsoons, I got another puncture coming down to Nayar Bazar from Pelling, and that road is a real bitch.

I had a brilliant trip, though. The route was roughly thus: Bagdogra- Siliguri - Ghoom- Tiger Hill- Darjeeling-Gantok-Temi Tea Estate- Namchi- Ravangla- Pelling-Yuksom-Melli-Darjeeling- Rohini- Chalsa- Phuentsholing -Cooch Behar - Siliguri

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This time it's a 500:
    [​IMG]

Seeing how far I could ride into Bhutan without a visa:
    [​IMG]

Pelling Gas Station in the early morning
    [​IMG]

Kangchenjunga, the world's third highest mountain:
    [​IMG]

Chat, I need to re-read your RR and find the Sikkim part again.

Hope all is good with you.

Best wishes,

Paul