Looking for avatar artwork source

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by ROAD DAMAGE, Aug 20, 2018.

1. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris/Bryan etc. :wave

I'm trying to find the source for the avatar artwork for Mark Steur's (Graywolf11) ADV account.

As you are probably aware Mark organized and led the Fall Colors Tour here in the Rockies for several years. He passed this last year so this Fall we are having a Memorial FCT in his honor.
    I'm trying to have some stickers made up using his avatar artwork as the basis. They'll be for all the participants (and anyone else that would like to have one).
    https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2018-colorado-western-slope-fall-colors-tour.1332728/

Any ideas on how to find where Mark got that specific avatar artwork? I've spent some time snooping around online and I've not had any luck. Any ideas from you computer gurus? (I already asked Stu and he sent me here.)

Thanks for any and all help!
    Best, Robert
  2. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
  3. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Graywolf11
    Forum software can re-size photos to use as avatars, but I doubt it will automatically resize an animated GIF. Especially if it was done with the previous forum software. Also, that is 50x50 pixel which would be smaller than required currently. Between that, and the style, I suspect it's going to be a fairly old animation. I'm assuming you're seeking a sticker because he's had that avatar for a long time? Point being where-ever it originated from, I think there's a decent chance there isn't a much larger version.

To make it easier for others - Member Profile
    [​IMG]
    kwthom likes this.
  4. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet 'Man-Child'

Oddometer:
    I'm a digital art 'hack.' I go back and forth, between, PSP6, Paint.net, MSPaint, etc. I could probably do it, it would be 'the brute, hard way' I'd take this image, and enlarge it on my browser enlarge. Keep 'screen-shooting' until I caught the best wolf's 'stride,' and then either clean it up, or use it as a bottom 'layer' to 'trace,' i.e., redraw it.
    Edit- here's some screenshots.
    wolf.png
    It seems like it'd be easier to reproduce the image from scratch, finding the 'best' wolf pic, then working from there...
    Edit2- what size ye thinking for the finished product?
    Bodwick likes this.
  5. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:

aldend123,

Thanks for the reply.
    I think that you are probably correct about there not being larger copies of this.
    Another inmate found that the artwork was credited to an artist named Shawn Fennox. I reached out to Shawn about her artwork, but haven't heard back yet.

Yep, correct ................ I'd like to use that exact artwork for a memorial sticker for Mark as it was his avatar for years.
    And his online name "Graywolf" is actually important as family names ............ His son is Grayson Wolfgang ............. so I'm trying to produce a sticker that will keep it all "thematic" and true to his ADV identity. Maybe I'm overthinking it? :scratch :lol3

RD
  6. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:

Hi Knute,

Thanks for the time and feedback.
    Are you looking for some work? :wink:

Not only is this task "over my head" ............. I actually understood very little of what you just wrote. :lol3 :eek7

The screenshot in the center is probably truer to what I was looking for, as that is closer to the "default screenshot" for the avatar.
    I wouldn't even know where to start to reproduce the image from scratch ............ but I do understand that it may be the simpler option.
    I'm thinking the the image should look crisp at 3" x 3" .................. as I was planning on about a 3" x 4" sticker with 1" of copy at the bottom.
    I have no idea what that 3" x 3" translates to as far as size of image artwork as a function of resolution? Bigger is better?

Below is the copy that I was thinking about. Might even put the upper line of copy on the bottom of the image if need be?

RIP GRAYWOLF

Mark W. Steur
    Oct. 1949 - Nov. 2017

And I guess the copy area background area at the bottom would work as a medium gray color?
    I was thinking a dark color outline would "tie together" the different image and copy areas.
    I wanted to use the above Hi-viz green color for copy, as THAT was always the color that Mark would use for his posts. (It was sorta one of his" things" that he always did.)
    There may be a font that would work better than the default ADV font?
    Again, mostly trying to stay true to his online traits/image with the design.

I'll send you a PM.
    Thanks for your time and interest, RD
  7. Knute Dunrvnyet

Oddometer:
    Final
    GRAYWOLF2 FINAL50.png
    trumpet, CaseyB, barnyard and 2 others like this.
  8. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    Outstanding work! Well done :thumb
  9. Knute Dunrvnyet

Oddometer:
    Thnx. I'm a self-taught amateur, and I probably do some things 'the hard way;' but it's a lotta fun.
    nomiles likes this.