Looking for BRP gravel options

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Sonny S., May 1, 2019.

1. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any tracks or even names of favorite gravel, dirt or other roads that run kinda parallel to the Blue Ridge Parkway from Front Royal, VA to Boone, NC?
    Non franchise food stops or attractions are welcome too. Don't mind hopping on the BRP then back off again. We'll be on DR650's but not looking for technical single track. We'll be taking the MABDR back up from Damascus.

Thanks
  2. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    I don't have anything super specific but IIRC there's a whole bunch of gravel forest service roads running through George Washington and Jefferson National Forest that are open to the public. I could be remembering wrong though so check beforehand.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  3. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/gwj/maps-pubs Grab the MVUM from here. Shows all the forest roads in GW/Jefferson. As you get farther south you're not running through NF land and the gravel will be harder to find.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  4. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool thanks!
  5. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever use gpx files from this site? I just found it. GW & Jefferson Forest is 1000 tracks. Shows a lot of beginning and end to tracks but no access or connected by FS roads. Are the FS roads usually open spring to fall etc.?

http://open-mvum.com/
  6. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah... I think it's just a database of random tracks and points from users. Now I see. Definitely a TON of garbage in there. I was hoping for GPX files for all of the open MVUM trails.
  7. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sonny S. likes this.
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might also take a look at Furkot.com. Furkot can access the Data.gov database that contains most of the NFS MVUM current data. The screenshot below is showing MVUM current data that I have added to a sample Trip Plan for the area that the BRP runs through.

Also, with the current version of Furkot and a Furkot Pass you can save as many of the MVUM tracks showing on the map to your PLAN drawer as "Maybe" (Skipped-routes) and export them to GPX Tracks - without having to include them in a Planned Route.

BB2E2034-9CB9-4C7D-871D-6F9FE966DFA0.jpeg

The MVUM data can be found in the FIND drawer as show in the screenshot below:

B1C37D65-B22C-4A6E-A6B8-DC1761673B9F.jpeg
    Sonny S. and dstutz like this.
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool. And that sample trip you did. That's looking good too. I don't think I quite understand though. Can you keep adding to it? :-) lol
    Thanks
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course...you can plan a day-ride or your around-the-world adventure. You just keep clicking on the map and Furkot will help you plan your trip. Furkot has some awesome advanced features but it's best to start simple and pick them up as you go: like seeing your day/partial-day route elevation profile.

4BD49441-2F41-481C-8683-3C3380FB7555.jpeg
    Sonny S. likes this.
  11. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dstutz and Sonny S. like this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Liberator likes this.
  13. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile