1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for cool places to live in Central/SW OR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by jesusgatos, Aug 21, 2008.

1. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
  2. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Fook yeah! That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for sharing. I think I need ot go back and spend a little more time over there...
  3. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grants Pass is a sucky, depressing place to live with no place to ride. Shit, it takes me 20 minutes to get here from home.

[​IMG]

All these trees in the way, lonely, deserted, it's just depressing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things are so bad here we don't even have guard rails or painted stripes. Bend is probably way better.:lol3

[​IMG]
  4. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Didn't mean to offend anyone, but the parts of town in Grants Pass and Rogue River that I drove through were pretty run-down. I would LOVE to come back to see what I missed. Please let me know if any of you down in that area wouldn't mind playing tour-guide...
  5. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    What are the winters like over there? Do you get much rain? Can you ride year-round?
  6. wibby

Oddometer:
    We get our share of rain but nothing like up North

Get a little snow but never sticks around more than a day or two

I ride year round
  7. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    That's what I wanted to hear. Sounds like I need to load up my bike and head back over there for a better look around...
  8. Voidrider

Voidrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I grew up a bit west of Grants Pass. I still love that area.

I live in Klamath Falls now. I have stayed a bit from time to time in Bend, and I really prefer Klamath Falls. Now, I don't really think the town here is all that great, but I like having the lake here. Bend...eh....its a little too much on the desert side for my tastes. Klamath is even too desert for my liking. Grew up in heavy forest, and just like it.

I wouldn't live in Medford if I had a choice. We have friends in Roseburg, and I am not keen on it either. I'd rather live a short trip from a reasonably sized town. the ONLY downside IMO is that the summers get a bit too hot in the inland valleys. As a kid, having a river nearby was a great way to keep cool.

I lived out near Merlin, and the roads out there are plenty fine for street bikes, and there are a bajillion old trails and logging roads and such, besides the forest service roads.

I'd like to try living on the coast someday, but even my wife is happy about eventually living somewhere in the Rogue Valley.
  9. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    North Douglas co. is a great area to live and the riding suburb. Bigger citys for that airport thing are Eugene to the north and Roseburg to the south. Land prices are good because it's mostly farming and woods. Downtown Oakland has a historical district. Lots of little communities scattered about, some nice and some not so nice. Terraine is rolling hills and oak forest in the lowerlands so a little more open than from Cottage Grove north.
  10. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Jeez, we got 'em fired up.:huh Sorry guys, but by depressed/depressing I mean a lack of jobs and having to see crap hole homes every other place driving down the road. Even if you love it there, you must admit that 50% of the area looks like tweekers out of control. I used to go by my old place when I visit, but it's completely trashed now and I can't stand to see it. :cry

I never used to ride pavement year round. I'd ride until the end of November, then park it until spring. If you lived in town you could ride around town pretty much year round, but after a few near crashes in shade ice I'd just park it and switch over to the dirt bike and ATV for the winter.
  11. wibby

Oddometer:
    50% ? That's pretty funny, well unless you ride out Grave Creek or around Wolf Creek area.

But I wish more Californians felt that way, so they'd quit moving up here :wink:

But even those places are no way near as bad as Northern Calif, like around Humboldt County. There's places in Humboldt that you'd swear you somehow got transported to Tennessee. Some great riding roads there though

Not everyone is cut out for it I guess, but even a lot of the cruiser riders, ride in the winter, and some of them live out of town. See a few dualsports still running from time to time but I have not seen another big adventure type bike since fall or late summer
  12. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    Hey Now Wibby! Whoa!
    I gots some good 'ol friends up the graves crick way,, be nice,:lol3

plenty old folks up in them hills bought acreage with old mine sites,(since mines are everywhere) and there are miles of tunnels, and ya never know what some old redneck might just have stashed inna old mineshaft or tunnel. I have only 2 or 3 complaints with the area,
    poison oak
    rattlesnakes

we have poison oak here too, but yours is savage and mean and hunts people down.
    I grew up with the 'un-groovy buzzworm' in the klamath river canyon, don't like 'em.
    Buncha hippies and little kids splashing in graves crick, summertime, beautiful, nice, hot enuff, but not too hot day,,a red chow dog kills a rattler less than 15 feet away from the kid's beachtowels. Uhh, don't go in the bushes to pee kids,,please!
    I do not think the OP house hunter is gonna fit well into the GP general vicintity , maybe get some facial scars and knock out a few front teeth, and move to woof crick, but I don't think it's a good idea. He ain't gonna fit in. Probably good 'ol presumptive Eugene, the "Berkley of the North", will be a better chance for fulfillment of the 'brushed stainless steel and sterilized' expectation, cuz what I'm reading says ,,,aw,, never mind.

Hiya Wibby! I like Oregon.

All of it!

to the OP,,try Adel, or Paisley, less than sparkling nayborhoods to thrill and enchant you,,,:huh what nayborhoods??! Only good hardworking Oregon folk, not at all like what Bend has become.
  13. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Oh, SHIT. There's poison oak over there? Goddammit. I swore I'd never live somewhere were there's poison oak again. Itchyitchyitchy...
  14. wibby

Oddometer:
    I forgot about the poison oak :lol3

Usually where all the best single track is :eek1
  15. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Ugh, dude I'm so allergic to that stuff.
  16. wibby

Oddometer:
    Ahhh yes, prednisone is your friend! :wink:

I only had to go to urgent care 5 or 6 times this year
  17. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Ah, now you're just trying to scare me away. I'm going to come down and ask you to show me the good shit.
  18. wibby

Oddometer:
    Bring the WR :wink:
  19. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Well, my needs have changed a bit as I'm not longer married. So now I'm looking for a CHEAP piece of land where I can build an off-grid hunting shack. I need to establish a new basecamp. Just somewhere I can throw-down a few shipping containers and make a simple live/work-space. Anyone know where I can find an acre or so for less than $5000?
  20. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wagontire?