1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for cool places to live in Central/SW OR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by jesusgatos, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Don't really want to move out into the high desert / flatland. Would much rather live in the woods, but preferably not in an area that gets a lot of snow.
  2. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    You'll need to grow a big scraggly beard and pull a few teeth first Jesse.:D

On a serious note, sorry to hear about the shite you've gone thru lately.
  3. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    It's OK. I'm going to redefine shabby-chic.

[​IMG]
  4. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Or is that more of a meth-head mansion?
  5. Shoe

Shoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Klamath Falls and spent a lot of time in Bend. Central and Southcentral Or in nice but I agree too much snow, also too windy and dusty. Eugene is nice but too rainy, and I agree Grants Pass while having awesome scenery is a little run down and lacking in restaurants and entertainment.

My vote is for Ashland; it is a fun college town that is close to just about everything you might need. Great street and dirt riding, skiing, mountains, lakes, rivers and is not far from the coast. It has lots of restaurants and is close to Medford for shopping.
  6. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I recently met a girl that's from Ashland and is currently living in Portland. She's telling me that I should go check out that area, but said that I'm going to have a really hard time finding cheap land anywhere around Ashland.
  7. PecosBill

PecosBill Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer:

and if you sell your CA beach house, you can afford a nice little place there. :lol3
  8. linkweewee

linkweewee tantum quantum

Oddometer:
  9. PecosBill

Oddometer:

Having grown up in Santa Cruz, I love the spirit of Ashland, but I prefer living in the SW Medford / Jacksonville area. Ashland is only a few minutes away, and downtown Medford is even closer. Ashland gets a lot of wind and snow, and during Shakespeare, it can be a mess downtown. Plus, the taxes and utilities are high.
  10. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    People have been telling me to look at land out around / past Talent.

Where is that?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I HATE the 'spirit' of Santa Cruz. That's why I left. Fawkin' hippies drove me nuts.

Edit: Just took a look at Google maps and found Coburg. How's the weather? People have told me that I'll want to stay south of Eugene (because of all the rain).
  11. PecosBill

Oddometer:
    Then you'll HATE Ashland. :lol3

and Talent is where the hippies live, because they haven't fully metamorphosed into yuppies yet. :lol3

You'd probably like Grants Pass then, the attitude is about as far from Ashland as you can get.
  12. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    What about the RIDING in any of these places? Me like 'um tight and technical singletrack.
  13. linkweewee

linkweewee tantum quantum

Oddometer:
    we average 50-90 inches of rain here a year, and if you're used to the sun on the east side of the cascades, well...
    weeks go by here in the winter w/o seeing the sun plus our unemployment rate is right @10%. other then that is a great place to live :D
  14. PecosBill

Oddometer:
  15. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
  16. brad21

Oddometer:
    I spent a couple weeks in Ashland a few years ago when I was still a competitive cyclist. It was March and while it was 45 and still trying to snow in Bend it was frickin' 70 down there. Loved that. And the overall vibe downtown was not nearly as hippyish as I've experienced in Eugene. Good restaurants and BREWERIES and clean. Just my nipples worth.
  17. Shoe

Shoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bet you could find relatively affordable property around Ashland if you get out of town a little way. Also the land east of Medford on the way to Lake of the Woods is nice.
  18. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    South of the willamette valley you got snadle rakes and poisendoak, north dark and gloomy winters, pick your poison. There is good riding darned near everywhere.
  19. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    During your travels up and down the coast did you by chance stop in Brookings? I've never been down there and was wondering what it was like. Going down next weekend to stay at the beach. It looks like the weather there isn't that bad.
  20. brad21

Oddometer:
    Ha! Brookings... been there a couple of times and one day saw a car driving by with what I thought was a fishing pole on the roof. WRONG!!! Shuffleboard cue. What's that tell you about the general population?

:gerg