1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for cool places to live in Central/SW OR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by jesusgatos, Aug 21, 2008.

1. PecosBill

PecosBill Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer:

"relatively" being the key word. :lol3

That Eagle Point to Lake Creek stretch isn't as economical as it used to be either.
  2. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Yeah, poison oak is almost a deal-breaker for me.

I've seen plenty of affordable land for sale around Klammath, but it doesn't really look like I'd be getting away from the snow if I move down there.

Yeah, Brad pretty much nailed it. It was OK I guess. Didn't really hold much appeal for me though.
  3. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    I might not have found any land yet, but I did buy a Deuce and a Half yesterday. It's an old M109A1 with a 12ft radio box on the back of it that I'm going to turn into a motorhome / dirt bike hauler. I'm thinking that if I get this situated and buy a couple of 40ft shipping containers to stash all my shit in, I won't be in as much of a hurry to find land and set up camp.
  4. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    How tight ya want it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Oh, I'm already planning to come visit you Wibby! Probably not going to be able to make it over there for a few months though. Gotta get this motorhome built first.
  6. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Be sure to post up some pics of your deuce and a half when you are working on that. Old Beerslayer up in Portland has been talking about gettting a Deuce and a Half for a new property he just purchased outside of Myrtle Creek in S. Oregon.

That old 63' is an incredible find!
  7. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm stoked. It's actually in pretty good shape. Here's pic that my buddy Matt took while we were picking it up.

[​IMG]
  8. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Nice! Looking forward to this ride report!

What's your next move? Found a place to move to yet?

Good luck!

Please let us know if you come up to Portland.
  9. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm moving INTO the Deuce. Seriously. The plan is to build it over the next few months and then live out of it full-time (with a trailer full of dirt bikes in-tow) for the next year or two. I'm going to use that time to save up some monies and find an area where I want to buy some land and build a house.
  10. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Good luck and keep posting up your progress on the Deuce! Sounds like a good story is brewing here....
  11. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    ...and Thanks! I will.
  12. scott_shelli

scott_shelli GS Newbie

Oddometer:
    We live in Bandon and wouldn't think of moving, but I totally understand those who feel it's too cold and windy here. Bend is a pretty good place for outdoor activities, it has a little of everything. Our family has a house in Sunriver, just south of Bend, and we love visiting the area several times per year.

From what you listed as priorities, I would have to steer you toward the Roseburg area... The one downside is the high concentration of true rednecks. Not the good 'ole boy version, but the type that guzzle Hamm's and will jack up a Buick if it's parked in one spot long enough. Other than that, the area has a lot of great qualities.

Good luck on your search!
  13. Beerslayer

Beerslayer Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer:
    Hey! I resemble that remark :deal

That is one sweet looking Duece. As my riding buddy BrowHouseBeer says, I have been looking for one myself. Quite appropriate transportation for Southern Oregon. I like your housecar approach. You can buy an M105 trailer pretty cheap for it to put the bikes in. There are a bunch of them up for sale out of Ft. Lewis. Here is a fine example http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2193875&convertTo=USD

My better half is pretty tolerant, but she is balking at parking the Duece in front of our house in suburbia. She says it would look better painted pink and blue camo. I am considering it.
  14. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Sounds like you and I would make great neighbors, eh? We're on the same page as far as trailers go too. I almost bought an M105 this morning for $350, but then the guys on steelsoldiers.com told me to take a look at the M200 and the M353. The 200 is set up as a dually and the 353 has a drop-frame. I think the 353 is pretty much exactly what I need, because I'm planning to lengthen the frame and drop a 14-18ft aluminum enclosed trailer box on top of it. I've been eyeballing old uhaul trucks thinking that I could use a cab-over box and store firewood and charcoal grill a generator and stuff under the cab-over part of it. Would be pretty slick, but I've got to focus on the truck to get that conversion done first.
  15. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    That's the only thing keeping you from having a Deuce in your driveway? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
  16. Beerslayer

Oddometer:
    Hell ya! I like your idea for the trailer. I am on Steel Soldiers too but have not posted, just lurking. There is a nice Duece for 4k in Sheridan that I am considering but was hoping to get one for a bit less.

-Most- of my friends think I am nuts for wanting a Duece. I still want one. Can't listen to those Dumbasses all the time. Of course they are probably right, but I -still- want one.
  17. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of Deuces on the market right now and more coming because the Mil is phasing them out, so I wouldn't be in a hurry if you're just looking for a regular 'ol M35. I bet you can snag a nice enough one for closer to half that, or a super-clean one for $4000 if you're patient.
  18. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Having grown up in the Rogue Valley I may be biased.

The landscape around Roseburg is just f'ugly
  19. Beerslayer

Oddometer:
    Having grown up around there I agree with you that -Roseburg- is fugly.

Get out in the hills around there though and it is another thing entirely. Just as pretty as the Rogue.