Looking for good Roads

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BillyGoat, Jan 24, 2005.

1. BillyGoat

BillyGoat n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there people. Well, my brother and I are going for a 3 or 4 day camping trip on the bikes. Looking to head east from Toronto and see how far we get and what we find.
    Can anyone point us in the right direction for some good routes to take.
    Looking for paved roads as I do ride the Honda CBR.

Thanks for your help.
    Not interested in riding the 401 for 5 hours.

Graham
  2. Viking

Viking Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer:
    Great roads between Hwy 11 and Quebec, even going into the Lauretians on the Quebec side give you vey nice sport biking paved roads.
    Have fun.
  3. BillyGoat

BillyGoat n00b

Oddometer:
    Anything east of Quebec worth checking out. US or Canada for prefered path. Thinking of maybe Maine as a turn around point.
  4. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doode,

Vermont and New Hampster (Mt. Washington was a gas). Lots of members from there who can recommend good road and camping.

If you had more time tho - I'd do Cape Breton

BM
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    :stupid

Lots of better riding thru upstate NY across to Mt Washington that will be a lot more fun on a roadbike than doing Ontario.

If'n you wanna stay in Ont, from Bracebridge east thru Bancroft and Calabogie has a bunch of goos stuff. Then hop the bridge in Ottawa, and head north on 309 out of Gatineau heading up thru the Laurentians.
  6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...Then don't.

Seriously, the only thing I'd add to the previous suggestions is Maine. One of the least busy states, and nice roads/scenery. Then there's NB, and NS...

Why would you want to turn back??
  7. Canucker

Canucker Looking to escape...

Oddometer:
    Hey BillyGoat,

3-4 days is not a long time, depending on how many miles you plan on burning each day. Like others have noted here, New Hampshire / Vermont (Mt. Wash... Kankamagus Hwy... etc etc) is a blast... best riding this side of the Rockies. North-east Ont has some great roads too... up around Elephant Lake (near Barry's Bay) or south towards Calabogie. If you're heading to Quebec, riding in the Laurentians (St. Jovite, Tremblant, etc.) is a hoot, but not for the faint of heart (the road conditions suck ). If you're heading farther east into Quebec, check out St. Mauricie Nat'l Part (best fast sweepers I've ever done :evil) or any of roads heading up to Chicoutimi.

If you have any mapping sofware (MS Streets & Trips, Mapoint or Garmin's Mapsource), I can send you some routes. I've ridden most of the above areas extensively. Just drop me an email.

Cheers,

Mike