Looking for info on Kettle Valley Railway - Princeton to Merritt

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zarly, May 8, 2006.

1. zarly

zarly Action Pants!

Oddometer:
    I left Penticton this morning and headed for Summerland. There was a dotted line on the map leading from Summerland to Princeton, and I decided to take it. I went to the info center in Summerland and the nice lady gave me directions to the road I pointed out to her on the map. Turns out it's called the Summerland Princeton Road, and it's got about 39 km of gravel in the middle. Another surprize for me, is that this goes along side the Kettle Valley Railway, which I've always wanted to ride. The info-lady said that motorcycles aren't allowed on it. I was sure that motorcycles were indeed allowed on the KVR, and when I came across the entrance to the KVR there were rules for motorcycles to not exceed 30km per hour, so I figured I was good to go. I rode it from Faulder to Princeton and it was absolutely beautiful.

Tomorrow I am planning on continuing on to Merritt, or Hope... I'm not exacatly sure yet. So my question is can you indeed travel the KVR from Princeton to Hope or Merritt? I've looked around on this site and the internet and I can't find anything detailing that route. I'm in a motel in Princeton now, and am going to go head out for dinner somewhere. In the morning I will see if I can find my way back to the KVR and hopefully I can follow it to Merritt... If anyone can give me any information that would be great. Cheers everyone!

ZDW. :ear
  2. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    You can get on the KVR in Princeton, (get a local to show you where) and ride thru to the Coquihalla Highway just south of Merritt. Its an easy ride and scenic.

Manxman
  3. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    Or keep going to Coalmont and there's a road that will take you to the Coquihalla. Can't recall the name of it and directions but someone on www.dualsportbc.com should be able to help you as our annual Routledge Run has gone that way for a couple of years.
  4. zarly

zarly Action Pants!

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll let you know how it goes! I hope it doesn't snow on me again!
  5. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey zarly, :D

Nice to see you back brother..:D
    Have a safe & wonderful trip... Don't ding up my plate!!
    NO WARRANTY... :rofl

Rick.

]Thanks I'll let you know how it goes! I hope it doesn't snow on me again![/QUOTE]
  6. zarly

zarly Action Pants!

Oddometer:
    What a great time that was! I took hundreds of pictures and enjoyed myself immensly! I have some questions about whether or not motorcycles are meant to go on the KVR since the made it into a part of the Trans Canada trail. So... does anyone know? The lady at the info booth said no motorbikes allowed and so did a couple of signs along the way. However, there were also signs along the way that said "Motorcycles and ATV's max 30km/hour." So... I went on it anyway and hardly saw a soul.. but I'd like to ride more of the KVR and I don't know if I'm allowed to.
  7. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    "Its easier to ask forgiveness than permission."
    Go for it Zarly, and then tell me all about it! :freaky
  9. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    The KVR is actually a bit of a sore spot for us riders in BC. While there are some sections that can be accessed easily by bike, more and more portions of the trail are being blocked off and restricted to non-motorized traffic only. This is a 'trail' that had freaking trains run over it for crying out loud. No one consulted anyone when they designated this route as part of the Trans Canada Trail system. They just looked at a map and said 'hey this way looks good'.

Riders are an extremely small minority when it comes to issues like this. Not only do we have to deal with the stigmatism that is associated with motorized means of recreation (ie quads, 4x4, skidoos, etc,etc) people assume that we should be perfectly content with riding the roads and trails that we have already. In a large majority of the cases, that may be true. I am sure that most of the good folks riding here would prefer to ride roads and trails that are legally open to all, but it really irks me when they take a perfectly good road or trail and designate it off limits on a bureaucratic whim or due to special interest group pressure:deal .

end rant.

Anyway, I say that ride the portions of the KVR that you have access to. Try to avoid the portions that are near heavily populated areas as you might run into public resistance more frequently around those parts. Also, don't forget that the KVR has all sorts of legal roads running beside it that also have great scenery.
  10. gravelrash

gravelrash Decrepit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode the section from Kelowna to Naramata. At one section where there was a road access, there was the same 30kph speed posting. Came across a few mountain bikers that were friendly, and a few walkies with dogs that weren't. Their dogs were running loose and being a pain in the ass, but I guess that's OK. Gotta love it. :scratch
  11. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:

are you joining the bc big traillie ride in June - Dantesdame is trying to fit in