Looking for Mongolia or does it quality as a ride report?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cyclopathic, Jul 16, 2019.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't been posting; was too busy. Trying to catch up.

If you ever find yourself in northern Italy do Cinque Terre.. a couple screenshots from GPS: Screenshot_2019-07-21-12-24-16.jpg Screenshot_2019-07-21-20-30-20.jpg Screenshot_2019-07-21-12-47-56.jpg Screenshot_2019-07-21-20-30-43.jpg

I have been riding around lakes and Alps and thought it would be hard to impress but roads in Cinque Terre are seriously sick. Not that many people; not as much as around lake Como and Maguire.

Camped for the first time; 2 times at Camping IL BRACCO, (Via Antica Romana, 16030 Moneglia GE, Italy)

Owner with very un-Italian name Rudy spoke pretty decent English; noone else didn't for many miles. In the hills it's very different from the coast.

If you want to see the villages go to Levanto. Ride up to the railroad station there is a motorcycle parking on the left. Otherwise tough to find a spot. Get all day €16 ticket to see villages. And when you're train hopping skip Corniglia; it's up on the hill so you would have to climb the wall.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has been having issues with kickstand. Can't get off the bike to take a picture. Lost count how many times bike ended up on the ground because of this. Getting good dismounting off without putting it down. Need to practice doing it on the moving bike.

Posted about this in Superdual thread. Need to pull pics off that thread.

Here is goes

View attachment 1807380 View attachment 1807381
    Cal likes this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Fuji FinePix quit transferring pictures; can't get them off the camera. Some really nice shots.. I am sad
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    geeez Alexis that sucks dropping the new bike!
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    The X stand measured at its longest point, center of bolt to tip of stand was from memory 330mm.
    Hope you get the camera worked out. Trip sounds like a real buzz.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm used to. Handlebars is the contact point and I put real handguards so there isn't any scratch on the bike yet
    Well at least I can still take pictures. Will be calling Dusseldorf first thing morning hope they can get me fixed.

@Cal: I am at Moto camp Bulgaria now they've got really nice setup I think my SWM hat walked away can't find it.

Thinking going to see Romaniacs tomorrow race is on Tuesday
    95Monster likes this.
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Say Hi to Ivo and Polly I helped their tile man mix mortar for the floor in the bar. There are some nice rides over the Mtn's near you Ivo can tell you , lots of old Soviet monuments. Do you have a room under their house?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moto camp has tools and knows where to find a welder
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah i know. I will be coming back on the way to Montenegro. Will need to talk to welder to see if she can weld aluminum; this is isn't something people would have handy
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Random encounters:

Stopped at gas station. See blue MZ parked by the curb. Guy working on station comes to pump me gas I say no I do it myself. I have installed a fuel sock in anticipation of going east and it pain in prosterior department to put gas in.. takes forever.. I'd better do it myself.

So finished with pumping; asking guy if this is his MZ and can I take a picture? Yes! Exchange names (Nikolai), try to communicate no English on his side no Bulgarian on my his Russian is "malko" my Google translate fu is freezing up.. somehow it works.

I go to pay for benzine, check bathroom come out he bought me a coffee.. I don't think they are making fortune at gas station and it doesn't look like he would take money and he would be offended if I offered. No that I have any Levs to begin with. Go straight to bike and pull baseball hat I was carrying.. black with US flag and give it to him as he works in full sun whole day.

Tell him that I will stop at this station again in 10 years so his bike is still here. Google translate finally works so this gets translated and we laugh. 2019_0803_11185733.jpg
  11. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's raining pretty heavily here I have WiFi so might as well catch up.

Random encounters:

Ran out of gas on autostrada trying to get from foothills of Stelvio to Serbia border. The fuel gauge on Superdual is funny it would stay full for almost 100mi then it drops through the range pretty quick. I was filling up when it gets down to 1 bar; takes about 12.5L at that point with tank rated at 18L. So decided to see if you can run a little longer (actually missed when it dropped to 1 bar) and found in hard way that a) the fuel pick up is in the front so it runs out on uphill b) gauge will start flashing when engine cuts off. Well nice to know wish dumb ass thought of this and carried a couple liters in rotopax.

2019_0803_11313232.jpg

So I am out of gas on the side of the road with thumb up in the air.. noone is going to stop will have to push loaded bike 3km slight uphill to next gas station. Then the guy stops in 116 BMW and asks what is the problem? He speaks very good English (uncommon in Italy) I tell him that I ran out of gas and ask if his car not diesel? I have some tubing to suck gas out of only need a little to next station. No it's diesel I have rotopax we are trying to figure out how to bring gas back as it is limited access paid road and exits far apart.

Meanwhile road service guys coming we communicate with dispatcher over the phone. No they don't have any gas but they want to tow me. No I don't want my loaded bike dragged on top of the truck and Andrea comes and tells me what I felt: tow is gonna be expensive.

We settled on them helping to push bike 100m to safety and I'm giving a red rotopax to Andrea with €50. Not that I don't trust people but the worse case scenario I still have to push bike to next gas station and will need to get new rotopax.

Andrea comes 15min later on side road and throws full pax over the fence. I am trying to convince him to keep the change he gives me all back. He is a rider too I can't buy him a drink or coffee or anything; just me feeling shitty for not being able to repay favor. We exchange emails I guess my gratitude will have to go to next biker I see at the road side.. that's how it goes.

I put 5L into tank ride 3kn and put another 13 at gas station, so to SD owners rejoice tank can hold 18L
    2019_0803_11311759.jpg
    misterk, 95Monster, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your a real charmer. :D
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's Andrea.. I'll put my pic later
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Random thoughts:

So what was that turned you on to traveling by the bike? Was it a Long way around? Ted Simon books? Zen and art of motorcycle maintenance? Meeting someone? My kids wanted to go across the country because they saw Wild Hogs believe it or not.. left really strong impression in 11yo mind to endure travel on the back of my Ninja across US of A (talk about butt crasher).grrr

It's been many years since but for some reason I want to rewatch motorcycle diaries. Maybe I should get off my ass and learn Spanish. I talked to the friend of mine in Mexico about "bucket list" and wanting to get to TdF at some point. He is 77yo doesn't have strength anymore said he wants to do it before he goes. We talked about bikes and he really likes Versys X for the trip. Maybe I should pick one used in US and meet him in Ecuador; he said he had gone to Panama and it took 27hr of paperwork to get back to Mexico; he isn't doing it again. He is or rather was much better rider as me but 77yo and it's a long trip. Probably not going to be what you want, but I can always come back, right?
    95Monster and mrsdnf like this.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup do it while you can! I started moto travel around the age you are now and I am still going strong( well maybe not that strong!) at 65. I love Eastern Europe. Slow it down and enjoy. Are you going to visit anyone in the Ukraine?
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No only bukovina and Carpathians the people I knew long ways from the border.. and it's been 30 years..

I just talked to the friend and they had taken a ferry from Baku to Aktau.. which would avoid Russia Iran and Turkmenistan. There is also one from Bulgaria to Georgia.. maybe I just head that way and get to Pamir now instead of putting it off for next year? I wish I knew about this beforehand.
    95Monster and Cal like this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So rode north today through Romanian Bukovina and ended up on Ukrainian side in Chernivtsi. Took forever to find hostel.. effin booking.com no GPS coordinates were right at least once.

@Cal I thought you were blowing it out of proportions when you said the worse off-road you rode was Ukrainian cobblestone. No it is not a joke. Will try to post pictures if my camera behaves.

On positive side suspension on SD would eat it all up like nothing and I wouldn't wanna ride anything more extreme on loaded bike. Also traffic is moving really slow speed limit signs are purely symbolic
    95Monster likes this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats the way I went into the Ukraine had a nice lunch in the park in Chernivtsi , found no English but not a problem for you:D Then went up ti Lviv where the city roads are busy and well worn!
    Did you not ride the Transalpina or Transfagarasan ?
    Haha and I rode it on a 1200 Bandit. At least I could get both feet down.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm across from the park in hostel. Main street was ok but the side was worse than a rocky section off Transalpina Germans dragged me into doing on street tires.

Language is interesting because they don't speak neither English nor Russian and I haven't spoken Ukrainian for 30 years.. understand everything but hard to speak.

Yes I have done Transalpina and Transfaragasan; later one twice south to the lake and back
    Cal likes this.