Looking for Mongolia or does it quality as a ride report?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cyclopathic, Jul 16, 2019.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found shop and got extension welded to kickstand foot in Ukraine; guys charged me 300 UAH which is $12 USD. Not exactly right angle but much better than was. View attachment 1828768
    Cal likes this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drunk and having a completely surreal day.

Started day in Krakow; slept in the hostel full of Ukrainian and Georgian gastarbeiders then after almost running off a couple times stopped at random place trying to buy zapekanka and kava (polish baked sandwich and coffee) only to find out that they don't take credit and there's no way of getting zloty to pay for it.

Some polish guy bought me food we end up talking for a while in mixture of Russian, English, Polish and Google; he might have saved my life.

Right now I am staying in camp near Tabor Plostina (for those who interested https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ploština) and the owner is getting married tomorrow at 11.. will try to get the pictures tomorrow
    daBum, mrsdnf, Ginger Beard and 3 others like this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You dont stay still for a moment! One minute you are in Bulgaria the next in Czech Rep. Go to Pilsen and tour the Urquell brewery and the under ground cellars.
    cyclopathic and 95Monster like this.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is your plan to go through Belarus into Russia?
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No/ I have complications with russian visa filed mid May still waiting; otherwise I would have been in Mongolia by now.

I'm thinking going south to Montenegro then Greece and Turkey en route to Georgia and Azerbaijan. I was told there is a ferry from Baku to Altei, Kazakhstan so there's a way to get to Central Asia without crossing Russia and Iran.
    Cal likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Random encounters (catching up with backlog):

So did oil change yesterday. Pulled into town fiddling with phone trying to find a cheap place to stay guy stops on 1960 Izh and asks if I need help. One thing after another and I am in his garage changing oil.
    2019_0803_11143060.jpg

So I changed oil, put new in pouring old back in bottles and find a washer from main plug. So what to do? Dump fresh new oil and do it again?

We ended up unloading bike completely laying it on the side and putting washer back without loosing a drop of oil.
    2019_0803_11135497.jpg
    mrsdnf, Amphib, Dessert Storm and 2 others like this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    A visitor:: he wants to play fetch with a rock 1565417922207.jpg

(I'm not kidding I offered him several sticks but he was only interested in rock he brought me)
    daBum, mrsdnf, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Random encounters (backlog):

Happened in Bulgaria lost track how many days ago.. stopped on a side street to check GPS. Was looking for the friend routed to town could not find the street. Apparently many streets are not marked and house numbers are missing so it is not a trivial task to find when it's not in Google maps.

Car stops and guy asks in English if I need help. I explain situation and ask about bathroom; he takes me into building.. then to his cabinet. The building is the City Hall and he is a mayor.. pictures of him and his cabinet. 2019_0803_11233100(2).jpg 2019_0803_11233100.jpg
    NSFW, Amphib, Dessert Storm and 3 others like this.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha You look more like the mayor than he does.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was on late Friday afternoon he was out of work; not sure if he dresses up for work though.

He offered me a beer which I couldn't do whilst on the bike and ended up getting me a "princessa" Bulgarian sandwich sorta pizza: a slice of bread with ham and melted cheese.. bless his soul
    Amphib, Cal and Ginger Beard like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Random encounters (backlog):

Met at mc camp a group of germans end up doing Transalpina with them. 2 of them are really fast one former German enduro champ. On the way back they dragged me into doing "shortcut" 50km dirt road. Yes it was wet I was miserable in mud on stock Tourance Next 90/10 street rubber. 2019_0801_13581475.jpg
    daBum, mrsdnf, Amphib and 3 others like this.
  12. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    This is awesome!! :lurk
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I am finally catching up with backlog.. if something went amiss we will get to it in proper time. Sitting under the roof, in warm room, waiting for gulash; this is after full day of riding Czech twisties, ~250mi mostly in the rain.

Not a distilled alcohol drinker, but if this isn't a time for fireball or allspice rum, then what? Maybe I should take a page out of your book John and start carrying some.. maybe.

Czech republic has surprisingly good riding; that when you get off bitten path. Got on the road at 8am today; got off at 6:30 with rain since noon. Went to see Pravčická brána (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pravčická_brána). Unfortunately you can't see it off the road and considering late time, rain and riding boots it was in the cards. A group of Germans who just came off the hike talked me out of it and were kind to share the pictures. I took the picture of their phones or "handies" as they call them with their best shots; will try to get them off camera.

Regardless riding is good in Bohemian Switzerland; it was good in Moravia too. No high mountain passes no extremes just very good; definitely worth the trip.
    View attachment 1837098 View attachment 1837099 View attachment 1837100
    Cal and Amphib like this.
  14. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Fantastic!:clap
  15. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Loving the back log updates. Dont mess with the mayor aye. He's a big boy. :D
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Posted this in different thread:

Spent 3 days in western Ukraine went from Chernivtsi to Uzhorod and my advice: while in Ukraine stick to main roads. I took a scenic route through ukrainian Carpathians only to find that there are no roads left. On 3rd day we spent morning welding racks back together and at some point 2 boys were helping me to dig and turn bike around. What they call road can be worse than your typical BDR.

I will try to get pics of the camera;
    View attachment 1837103 View attachment 1837105 View attachment 1837106 View attachment 1837107
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Random pics DSCF1583.JPG DSCF1584.JPG DSCF1589.JPG DSCF1603.JPG
    daBum and Amphib like this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Random pics
    DSCF1612.JPG DSCF1617.JPG DSCF1636.JPG DSCF1606.JPG DSCF1627.JPG DSCF1638.JPG DSCF1652.JPG
    daBum and Amphib like this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Czech girl at gas station (she is 6'5" tall) DSCF1665.JPG
    DavidM1, daBum, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Random pics DSCF1678.JPG DSCF1692.JPG DSCF1699.JPG DSCF1700.JPG DSCF1610.JPG
    NSFW, daBum, chudzikb and 1 other person like this.