Looking for Mongolia or does it quality as a ride report?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cyclopathic, Jul 16, 2019.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost went off the cliff earlier today coming up the wall out of Kotor; was trying to get around stopped bus and clipped right side bag with cliff on the left. At some point I was holding to bus wiper for dear life until bus driver came back and moved bus a few inches. A lady tour guide from the bus was holding handlebar to prevent it tipping off the cliff.

Be safe out there it was a blockhead move
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes, Alexis take it easy out there. Lots more riding to do.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happened again today; was going through Tirana and bee got sucked in and beat me just below navel. Took 10mib before I could pull out, undress.. little guy was still hanging by his innards. I should probably stop opening jacket to scoop air it was 99 today.

On a plus nothern Greece has excellent roads 130mi came easy especially comparing to 190 through Albania.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Backlog: camped 3 nights on Mediterranean Sea in Croatia.. off the trees next to my tent IMG-20190820-WA0000.jpg
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roads of Montenegro; they have all kinds of roads good bad and ugly. Some were actually pretty hard harder than Cinque Terre. Mostly due to being narrow, overgrown and with many blind corners. You can expect a car coming around and taking all width and quite often it did.

They (Chinese) are building a road from the sea to Beograd old road got rerouted and used by construction trucks which are much heavier than it was designed to carry. As a result it turned into what Dalton is; patched with gravel and watered to keep dust down Screenshot_2019-08-22-14-00-31.jpg Screenshot_2019-08-22-14-44-20.jpg Screenshot_2019-08-22-17-06-05.jpg Screenshot_2019-08-22-14-48-01.jpg
    Amphib and Cal like this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Greece I liked Meteora and toured the Monastery's.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really random pics DSCF1725.JPG DSCF1806.JPG DSCF1832.JPG DSCF1805.JPG DSCF1373.JPG DSCF1445.JPG DSCF1490.JPG DSCF1509.JPG
    vsaltao, Mofrid, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... DSCF1531.JPG DSCF1757.JPG DSCF1534.JPG DSCF1313.JPG DSCF1370.JPG DSCF1551.JPG
    lvscrvs, chilejack, Cal and 3 others like this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    me with Ampelio Macchi DSCF0516.JPG
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    random pics DSCF1421.JPG DSCF1334.JPG DSCF0520.JPG DSCF0545.JPG DSCF1517.JPG DSCF1493.JPG
    Amphib, chilejack, Cal and 2 others like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    .. DSCF1543.JPG DSCF1521.JPG DSCF1556.JPG DSCF1579.JPG
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 days in Greece; wide flowing roads, much wider than in US. You would think they would be easier than Montenegro and they're.. until they are not. You can easily have a 70mph road coming into 10mph hairpin with no warning. And there could be sand or gravel in your lane behind the turn. Almost got caught.

Also Greece has an abandonce of abandoned roads some finished and some not. Built on EU grants until stopped by austerity. Very surreal you could be traveling on modern highway to see no cars, sometimes washouts and overgrowth; highway ending in nowhere. Then come to dirt road which sees more traffic.

Sort of what you see in post apocalyptic movie..

Landscape looks very Wyoming-esce.. rolling foothills yellow burnt by sun grass.. if not for the peach, apricot and other fruit trees. Obviously it doesn't get as cold here as in Wyoming.

Wild life signs saw wild cat (not a bobcat something smaller and long tail, dead foxes, hedgehogs.

@Cal thanks for Meteors suggestion. It was a good day trip
    Amphib, chilejack and Cal like this.
  13. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    How's Turkey looking?
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got out.. in Batumi found new friends, food, wine and hostel to stay in.

Didn't go to Istanbul; took ferry to Chardak then went to Ankara; slept in some pansion at the lake. Some nice mountain roads on western side of the Anatolia and then on nothern side going to black sea.

Need to post pictures; had people come and talk to me at gas stations, kids mounting bike and posing. Was in Ankara with my friend he showed me city.. 15/07/2015 had a great impact on national conscience; whomever was behind it will have to deal with consequences for generations.

Turkish drivers are scary; don't go to the town after sunset looking for hotel. As my Turkish friend put it: beware of the yellow cars and blue buses. As long as you keep the distance everything is fine. I would also add any buses and old cars in country side. He also said there are no rules everyone makes their own.

Found some old caravanserai; was just passing stopped and took pictures.i Will post them later.
    chilejack, Amphib, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah and @Cal Turkish drivers are on whole different level comparing to Mexico and Greece. Almost got killed by Georgian taxi cab driver pulling out of the border control. He was passing and either didn't see me or didn't care. Alot more danted cars and the ones which has been fixed..
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the same in Albania, drivers pulling out and not caring, its survival of the biggest!
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was stung by a bee in Tirana; took 10min until I could pull out safely and undress; little guy was still hanging by innards.

Yes Tirana is crazy but it got nothing on Batumi and by amount of cars with the signs of accidents it's really scary worse than Turkey or Greece or Albania. I went today to buy oil to do oil change; living town tomorrow.. alive; that's the plan
    Cal and chilejack like this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it finally happened: I got a stomach flu.. headache is killing me.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 days later and still in batumi.. mullah finished evening prayers so it is after sunset.

Actually finished a potato owner fried for me yesterday; was strong enough to walk to the store and get water. Hopefully leaving tomorrow.

This is not the first time getting the stomach bug on the road but everytime looks like the worse.

Watched Loma vs Campbell Luke put a good fight Brit fans should be proud.
  20. RC.

RC. ADV FOR LIFE

Oddometer:
    Awesome report. Feel better soon and keep the rubber side down.
    cyclopathic likes this.