Looking for Mongolia or does it quality as a ride report?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cyclopathic, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are having a hell of trip....and breaking that new bike in proper!

Ughhh, stomach issues on the road suck.....hope you recover quickly. Looking forward to the rest of your adventure.....
    cyclopathic likes this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So have been helping 2 kin souls with their situation; his IDP got lost crossing Turkish/Georgian border, and then they got stopped and nailed with tickets. Multiple visits to traffic police, post office, court; spent Friday and today afternoon. I think we have a solution hope it works out for them.

To everyone: keep your documents in the same place; count and check them when you are giving them out and count and check them when you get it back. Have it organized the same way. There's nothing wrong with being anal on this matter unless you want to end up in Turkish prison (in this case maybe Georgian).

And it was raining this morning so stuck in Batumi for another day LoL
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was preaching this expression (apparently American) along the road to guys/gals hope it will catch up in the rest of the world.

People in Ukraine, Czech Republic, Romania, Turkey were amused to hear it for the first time.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never used a IDP just my regular license, can he not use that?
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what is the convention and which country recognizes what.. they didn't bring the original licenses with them so whoever advised them wasn't right. IDP is invalid without original DL.

I don't wanna go into legal details of their situation and other side complications and post them on internet let's leave it at that if I ever make it to North or we meet in MX ask I'll tell you full story.
    Cal likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple traveling tips for Georgia:
    Insurance can be bought online at https://tpl.ge/
    Geocell cheap 10L for SIM card and 9L/no for 3Gb plan which BTW covers Azerbaijan and Central Asia. You will need to call to activate roaming and if your phone require manual APN entry just put Geocell/internet
    Found a place to change oil next to Welmond hotel open 10-9 and they said can get filter and Motul 7100
    VTbeemer, Cal, chudzikb and 1 other person like this.
  7. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had slow start yesterday; first had to resolve phone SIM, second after several days in the bed in hostel. Not the best hostel but in the center, nice owner who cooked/gave me food while I was sick and gated yard with stone wall for my bike! will definitely come back.

Anyways OsmAnd was only showing 4hr from Batumi to Borjomi so I didn't worry about leaving late and wasn't planning full day regardless. Dropped bike taking off kickstand at the market. Guy came and helped to pick it up and asked me if I am drunk. I said no just sick and haven't recovered.. haven't eaten for several days. Was a slow start and took recommended "georgian mountain road"; will ask Georgians what they call it. Ok road not in the best shape but reasonably good by local standards. In every village those speed bumps which locals treat like the end of the world and everyone who ever been to Chihuahua will laugh at.

Last 50mi to Borjomi was new good pavement good twisties both on Batumi and Borjomi side.. many construction spots on Batumi side they are taking care of rock slides. Alexey who recommended me this road said yeah many ride it on enduros and you will be fine.. and it is GS-friendly.. wasn't sure what to expect.

Regardless there are about 30mi of no-road in the middle.. that part of the road hasn't seen new asphalt since Soviet years. Felt like being back to Ukraine. Lucky for me but it was dry just wet and muddy at spots. But this is mountains if it rains water will be for days if not weeks. In some places road turned into river bed.. ran into ditch oncoming car left me a slippery line not good for worn Tourance front. Didn't drop the bike had to walk her out of the ditch. 30mi of BDR I would have enjoyed it if not for the weight and tires.. and stomach bug.

There are many signs for wineries, side roads if you come packed light you can make nice few days exploring area
    chilejack, Cal and VTbeemer like this.
  9. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Cyclo

Great report so far. Appreciate the tip re the Cinque Terre. I’m headed there later this month after a brief loop through the Dolomites. Ultimately my goal is to get through the Stans also to Mongolia but will break it up and continue next season after laying up the bike this coming winter.

Nice to see ride reports from this part of the world.

Dan
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was too busy riding to post. Right now having a break waiting to find if I'll make a cut for today's ferry if not next one in a couple days.

Went to the region with Lord of the rings-ish name Vardzia; one of the poorest regions of Georgia. Vardzia has cliff dwellings similar to what you see in SW except in Vardzia it has an old mideval monistery. Didn't quite made it to the caves the tour of the fortress killed me earlier. Maybe next time. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vardzia

Some good riding on and off pavement not that I felt adventurous; dropped bike people were asking if I am drunk.. wish it was.

Had a couple busy days rode Georgian military road.. if you get a ticket (and road is policed at the top and ski resort area) you pay at the border.. $17 USD for passing in no-pass zone
    chudzikb and Amphib like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So a little update on Geocell card: you have to have it registered properly in your name or roaming won't work. The best is to go to Geocell office and have it set up there.

Also I was told Russian ₽350 SIM card gives roaming..
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That does not look so good! I wondered where you had gotten too.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Horug Tajikistan.

Had above fixed yesterday but guy didn't have good welder so will be looking for someone tomorrow
  15. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Extra gusseting, send bill to SWM!!
    mrsdnf likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid $60 this morning and I'm guessing it is gonna be about as much for next round.. will see. Problem is to take shock out you need to disassemble exhaust.

I sent pictures to factory guys; maybe they will hire me as a tester.
  17. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did that happened?
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't anything to register as oh shit! just for whatever reason bike started feel low I'm guessing compound effect of potholes in post-soviet space.

Roads were built with 7t/axle load limit and truckers are running 105t+ rigs shredding roads like there's no tomorrow. Weight stations are non-existent and when they are they can get bribed.

Roads are bad at times, worse than what you see in your typical BDR or what I have seen in Mexico.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slow down on those roads and ride like an old man( like me)
  20. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    You already are... a Beta tester!!