Looking for Mongolia or does it quality as a ride report?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cyclopathic, Jul 16, 2019.

1. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Or get a Ural
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did at the end but I don't think it matters; you just get beat up more and get nowhere.

You know the thought had crossed my mind a few times I had seen a few singles parked here and there.. but then I remembered a guy who had to rebuild heads twice on the way to/from Mongolia. Original Urals were built to handle A-76 they overheat and mushroom exhaust valves on long trips.

Superdual was stellar on this trip despite all I still like it and would have bought it over again but then CRF 250 Rally would work on these roads equally well.

If you decide to get SD plan on ditching exhaust cans (they are like 10lbs+ each), replacing POS OEM rack and reenforcing top shock mount. Also getting quick disconnects for hoses on top of the tank, proper bark busters and enlarging kickstand foot . The rest of the bike up to the task A+
    VTbeemer, mrsdnf and innathyzit like this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it has been many weeks since I posted here proper; I think it was back in Georgia. I would have to go back and read old posts. Too many things happen; right now it's 8 o'clock in the morning; we got out of Pamirs yesterday. Remind me never go drinking with German and Irish guy; you don't know where you end up at the end of the night.

The day before yesterday was an easy day. We did Ak-Baital and Kysyl-Art. Ak-Baital is the highest at 4655m.. it's paved except for last half mile and goes straight up. You start at Morug at 3600m (12,000') and climb up for 26mi? to climb another 1000m/3400'. On northern side it is gravel but it still relatively straight with a few gentle turns and while not paved would be an easy ride in any weather conditions. While you climbing up and descending down to valley road runs in parallel to Chinese border. You see the chicken wire fence built back in Soviet times failing in some spots. I know if you don't have pictures it never happened; it will have to wait 'till I come back and get time to dig through.

The one you have to worry is the Kysyl-Art on other side of the valley. Not sure what it means in native tongue; it has to be either red clay or red effin mud; I suppose it would depend on how much rain it had seen. Tajik border control is right on the border at 4282m; guards who man it have to take high blood pressure meds. They said it will be down to -60C there a month later.. sh!ty job if you ask me.

Kyrgyz are more sensitive and built their checkpoint to the valley below. It has to be one of the highest and strangest crossings in the world you go 25km between checkpoints. I managed to loose my documents in no-man's-land. Gladly I stopped to take a leak and take pictures.. that's where the missing documents were discovered. Luckily they fell off at the bottom of the descent and I didn't have to go all the way up to fetch them. The old habit of strapping pack temporarily to get to the other side which worked beautifully at any other crossing is not for this one.. be mindful. I discovered pack laying on the ground and by the time it was packed and bike turned Kev who was riding first caught up with me.

Kyrgyz side took longer as we need to get a year importation paperwork done for bikes; even if my bike with be wintering in Kazakhstan you still do the papers at the Custom Union border crossing, just like you would entering EU. The default import period is 90 days; if you want to extend it you have to tell the Customs..

From a couple days ago take 2 View attachment 1926446
  4. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't think you will make Banamichi in November. :-) You write an excellent ride report, but I am waiting with great anticipation for the pics. One other thing that would be good is a route map if you can do it. I had to look up the Pamir Mountains and recognized their nickname, "Roof of the World". You are on an epic journey! Keep up the good reports.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm flying back home in 5 days so technically could make Banamichi but I don't have bike in US and leaving es-vu-em here for next season.. unless you know someone to borrow bike from or I find used low mileage x-country somewhere and pull the trigger on it.

I will try to put a map of the route and if you want you are more than welcome to tag along next spring.. not sure what the route would be. The guys I rode with last few days are really hard core they have been to magadan, Mongolia, Africa, etc.. rafted bikes across the river on Eastern BAM.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought for food:

These cans has been with us on many adventures.. as emergency food which hasn't been eaten for that or other reason. The can on the left is horsemeat purchased at gas station in Kazakhstan has been through other 'stans including trip to Pamir. Not sure what is the story of the can on the right (I think it's chicken breast from Costco or Walmart) and it looks like it had been coast to coast.

But the crown piece is Spam in the middle; it had been to Dalton, Dempster, Copper Canyon and Los Cabos.. crossed lower 48 multiple times. Probably 50k miles under the belt if not more. I just couldn't bring myself to eat it; not a big Spam fan. KIMG0099.JPG
    roadcapDen, VTbeemer, Cal and 3 others like this.
  7. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fried Spam in a skillet with some hot sauce is A ok in my book!
    LC1, Cal and RedDogAlberta like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually cook it with fried eggs and/or mash potatoes.. it's too big for one person and of no use since I left my cooking set with friend in Bulgaria. Maybe I'l bring it by your house and we eat
    chilejack likes this.
  9. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha...I'm in!
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I'm guessing you have had the can of spam so long that you wont eat it due to the great sentimental value it holds to you. :D
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be honest I just don't like Spam

I have been in situations where you know that you won't get anywhere so you just pull off the road (side road exits make good protected place) and pitch your tent, assemble cot, etc and then open a can of tuna and pull leftover bread. I don't think I could gulch a whole can of spam without puking it and leaving it unfinished probably not a good idea.. just saying.

On a side note: camelthorn patch ain't the best place for camping; good thing I didn't have inflatable mattress.
    chilejack and mrsdnf like this.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a good rest at home and soon you will be dreaming of getting back on the road!
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already am; have been off the bike for 2 weeks. When is Banamichi meetup? are you coming?
  14. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No that's not my movie.. the guys I met at checkpoint before Khorug (they just came out of Bartang) and then later in Wuhan valey. We rode together from Bibi Fatima to Osh
    NSFW, mrsdnf, chilejack and 2 others like this.
  16. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Nice video, that’s really the “ high lonesome”. Where were they? Have you ridden there?
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's in Bartang valley Google it for more info; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartang_River

It's on my to-do list; I haven't had time to do it and didn't want to go there by myself too much risk my frame just broke and wasn't properly welded at that point. And if anything happens there it could be a day or two before someone comes by.

I met Kev&Co on M41 just a few klicks from valley entrance point they entered valley from east side and came down on western side.
    chilejack likes this.
  18. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you kept in touch with the factory on the frame fail and if so are they interested in modding future production bikes?
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Motor7 I exchanged emails and suggested to beef up mount; it is up to them if they decide to and how long it will take to get it implemented.
    chilejack likes this.
  20. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Next year take the Spam to Hawaii, they love it there and have many different kinds!