Looking for partners for the TAT 2015

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Bbenson, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking to to do the tat in 2015 and would like to find a riding partner. Exact date is pending upon what old man winter brings to the Rockies, but it will be roughly the end of August beginning of September, between the heat of the desert and cold of the mountains this seems to be the window.
    I will be leaving from NYC. Going for a light pack. I can't afford a motel every night, but I don't think I want to sleep in one every night either.
    Although many of the final details are not set, the date is far enough away for change and it will change pending if I find a partner for the whole run, go solo, or meet several different riders My schedule is fairly flexible
    Not going for record time, 3 weeks roughly. I want to see the scenery and meet the people along the way. So if interested give a shout out

Any advice is welcome
  2. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will subscribe to this!. I am in for a bit of the east part. I can't bite the whole thing off in one chunk right now because of work. If I don't do the east end earlier in the summer I will see what you have going. I am in SFL so I will trailer up also.
    You heading south through the mega-opolis of the east coast is how I feel about Florida and Georgia (east side). Flat and hot and boring. I have run it a dozen times at least on a street bike. No need to do it again.
  3. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have begun to acquire the long list of gear I will need to make this trip happen. It always amazes me how much gear is need on any adventure.

The start. A good toolkit that won't weigh a ton. Trying to keep my gear to the 30 pounds. The goal is to keep the bike and gear under 300lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A cheap computer with solid state drive and no fan

A good gps

[​IMG][​IMG]

And PRB. aka "the holy shit button"

[​IMG]

In addition a tracking device I rent before I leave. Used a briartek on my last trip. Gonna go for the delorme this time.

And a good compass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck in your preparations.

I'm sure folks looking to do the TAT with partners will want to know what you are riding, your riding style - (ie MX fast, or smell the roses slow, or whatever in between).

Any info like that will probably help folks open up lines of communication to you for the trip.

Safe Travels.
  6. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I will be riding a 2014 KTM 500 with a some modifications to increase the service intervals. I want to ride a light bike that has the power for the highway and sand. Last jan and feb I rode the southwest on my ktm 250 and it just didn't have the power. I am not looking to race through the trip but I am not a snail.
  7. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Curious about how you are getting from NYC to the TAT on the 500. If you have a lot of time, you could try the TET. But, riding roughly 800 miles of pavement on the 500 seems like a rough way to start a trip. (I have a similar bike- Beta 520.)
  8. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have debated this question a lot. Easiest way on me, would be shipping it closer and flying down. I have been in contact with a rider who left from my area on a WR 250 and rode down, has his whole ride on YouTube. Easiest logistcally, put my 17 inch super motos on, regear, and put a wind screen on. Plus other modifications to make a light adventure bike. I would ship my offroad set up and unneeded gear to a ups store near the begining of the TAT and set the bike up for the trail. Sending all the road gear back to NYC.
    But I will check out the TET, might be an option. Put a request in for the files, thanks.
  9. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    I have done a big chunk of the NJTET and most of the Blue Ridge Trail in VA (not exactly the TET, but close- some parts are shared). It will add a lot of time to the trip, but I bet it's a pretty cool ride if you can manage it. Good luck!
  10. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden most of the TET. It's a great ride that is more about riding and scenery than getting anywhere.

I've ridden the TAT from TN to UT.

Living in NY, the TET is easily accessible to the op.

My advice is to get to the TAT start as safely and efficiently as possible. The TET, while a great ride, will add days to the trip. Those days are better spent in Colorado.

FWIW...

My TAT plan included trailering from CT to Alcoa TN, just north of the TAT start. For $30 I stored my car and trailer at a personal storage place across from the Knoxville airport. My ride started there.

Upon arriving in Oregon, I expected to ship my bike to CT (about $700) and fly ack to Knoxville from Portland. I was then going to drive the car and trailer home from there.

My trip ended in Utah so I rode the backroads back to my car in six days and trailered the bike home.
  11. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a good idea, especially since I need to rent a spot for my jeep while I am gone for $250. Got to love nyc alternate side parking. I found storage across from the airport, called storage pros. More than 30 dollars, more like 145 for a 10x20 but cheaper than leaving the jeep here. Kinda kills two birds with one stone.

Thanks
  12. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Storage Pros in Alcoa by the Knoxville airport is the place I used. They let me plark in a 30' space along the curb inside their fence. The move in special got me some free time. My car and trailer were there for a month and it cost me only $30.

I liked having the car there in case of an early mechanical failure on the bike or debilitating crash.

Don't forget to visit Sonny's BBQ while in town. :deal
  13. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not gonna cook gourmet meals but smaller than a 2 cup measuring cup and about the same weight. Five days fuel per 4 oz canister based on; Coffee and oatmeal for breakfast freeze dried camping meal at dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have looked at different sets of gear for the trip and found this badlands barley used on ebay. couldn't pass it up.

[​IMG]
  15. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under 300 pounds all up is optimistic! Three of us did Mexico to Canada and back (31 days) this year and the first thing we did on our return was to weigh everything we carried and wore. Long story short, we were all at about 65 pounds. That included riding gear (skivvies not included), very light weight camping gear, loaded saddle bags, handlebar carry-all, tank bag, literally everything except the bike. Since we were all on WR250R's there was a bit of sharing as well so we spread out the spare tubes, and a few tools.
  16. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at dry weight and saddle bags. With fuel and gear I am wearing I will not make those numbers. But being in the US I will have the ability to restock pretty often. But we will see, I will weigh in before I leave.
  17. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might be able to do some of the eastern portion with you. I would also be on a 500 EXC and like to travel light. Plan on several oil changes and at least one tire change, depending on which tires you're running to start out with. Three weeks for the whole thing seems a little optimistic based on reading other TAT reports, but I don't have first hand TAT experience to base that on.

Subscribed - even if I can't go I'll be interested to see how you pack and prepare the 500 for this adventure!
  18. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am going to add. A large clutch cover, oil cooler, and oil conditioner to rotella diesel oil to extend my service interval.
  19. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode from the middle of Oklahoma to Port Orford, then to Seattle WA. this past summer on a ktm 500 xcw. The 500 will do you well. Changing oil is a few minute job, I don't understand what the fuss is about. Any way I live about 1 hr. from the start of the TAT in TN. and would allow any who wish to park at my place while they travel. Have acreage so room is not an issue. Also plan to ride the eastern section this spring. If any one is going I would think about tagging along. Rode the western side solo. Fantastic ride.
  20. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a great offer thanks. How was the west solo?