Looking for partners for the TAT 2015

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Bbenson, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was fantastic, parts are very remote. Don't really recommend it but I would do it again, just make sure you always ride inside your skill level. Carry a spot, carry plenty of fuel and water. Would be more fun with a companion, That is why I will look to ride with someone on the eastern half, but if it doesn't work out I'll go it alone. Fill free to call if I can help in any way, but most important is to make sure you do the ride.
  2. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden in the west solo and it was remote. Hopefully I find a partner. Seems like I can ride separate parts with different people, maybe even meet some on the ride.
  3. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw very few riders or my trip. Was hopping to and followed some tracks a few times but never was able to hook up with anyone, it was still a great adventure. Bbenson what is your skill level? I have read many ride reports and just cringe and wait for the accidents. If you go it alone ride safe and enjoy the experience. I was lucky and never fell or had any flats or other bike problems. Gas got a little hard to come by a couple of times and I had a 3.3 gallon tank and was carrying 1.75 gallon in a rotopax. There are a few of the gas stations that are on Sam's route that have shut down.
  4. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been practicing for the ride. I would say I am an intermediate rider. Can get through most things I have encountered on the trails here and out west. Not with blazing fast speeds, but I know my limits, especially when solo. I would prefer to ride with someone so I don't have that fear fact of being solo.
  5. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is really not any thing hard on the TAT . I think if you ride cautiously and inside of your skill level you should be fine. The only close call I had was I was to busy watching some wildlife and came close to running off of the road in New Mexico. I hope to hook up with some one to ride with this spring or summer when I ride the eastern half.
  6. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watch out for the wildlife! I was almost taken out by a calf (hiding in some scrub and jumped off a slope right in front of me), an antelope and a deer. Lots of critters out there!

As stated, nothing really difficult on the TAT. Just be sure you have basic spares and can fix a flat. With a little luck you won't have any. It's a great ride!
  7. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally bought my bike. It will be shipped after the new year. I will post pictures. It just got real.
  8. BackroadsOnly

BackroadsOnly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am tentatively planning on doing the eastern portion this summer and getting through Arkansas and a portion of Oklahoma depending on time.

I am planning on camping unless the weather dictates otherwise. The 990 needs some different treads. :eek1
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll subscribe. I'm interested, capable, have the bike, gear and time.
  10. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    I have been lurking and recently subscribed. My interest keeps growing.

I am starting to plan a long trip out west, then north for 2016 (possibly 2015), but I always take a two week MC trip in the summer and will for 2015. My summer trips have always been on road, but last week I purchased a 2011 DRZ with the idea that while on my way out west and north that I could at least ride fire roads, dirt roads, and light trails.

It might be nice to do part of that two week trip on the TAT (part would be getting to and from), probable at least a week and a half's worth.

I'm a good road rider, but new to off road (at least on a MC). I am getting out as much as possible. By later this spring I'll know if I feel confident enough to go.

I've spent many miles traveling on a GS (R1200) and only off road for a few of those - it was too big (and Florida is mostly sand).
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'll throw my hat in the ring...i'll be riding dirt from Vegas to NYC, not the TAT, then returning west via the TAT, then north to Canada and south to Mexico on the CDR hopefully...my ongoing RTW plans have been curtailed until early 2016 so 'a little' domestic ride sounds good

I'll be on my KTM 625SXC and have everything i need in a 38 liter dry bag

if you want more details on me, my riding etc look at my profile, ride reports and build threads...there's quiet a lot
  12. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning to ride the TAT starting from the North Carolina outer banks around September 1. Plan to camp almost exclusively. I am riding a DRZ400. Maybe we can share some of the ride.

Ralph
  13. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So she finally arrived. Everything looks good except for the clutch line. It was crushed in packing. Not a big deal but has to be dealt with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Augdog1964

Augdog1964 2015 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I want to do the trip, be on my new KTM 690 Enduro R... I'm a lifelong harley rider and did offroad as a kid... so I need to practice up...
  15. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have been putting in some saddle time on my 250. Now I have to get some time in on the 500.
  16. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    If you find partner(s) to ride with share the load when it comes to tools. For Example: There's no reason for each person in the group to carry a set of tire irons, so one guy can carry those, another the pump etc. (This has worked for me on bicycle rides where weight is measured in grams).

Also I've seen some titanium tools from Motion pro that'll cut down on weight too. I HATE being loaded down with crap on a bike. Some guys take waay too much crap, others don't take enough. I plan to have my bike prepped well enough that it won't break (new chain, sprockets, tires, cables, wheel bearings, pads,fluids etc.) but still keep a master link a tube and patches and tools to make those repairs.

The TAT is a trip I've wanted to do badly for at least a half dozen years. Due to my work schedule I can't plan a year or 6 months out, more like a month. I will most likely start down in Trinidad CO (hopefully this year).
  17. nbleak21

nbleak21 NOMAD

Oddometer:
    I've been considering the TAT this summer as well... Don't know yet if I'd be able to run the whole route, but definitely up for the eastern bit.

I'm relatively close to the TN start, so if you decided to ship equipment, feel free to PM me if you'd rather ship to an inmate with a garage and tools instead of a UPS store.
  18. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nbleak21
    Where are you located in TN?
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad advice...every rider should be self sufficient, if there is a break down on the trail and the second rider for some reason has to take off to get help he needs to be able to fix anything and everything as well...take this from experience, 3 1/2 years on the road an over 100,000 miles

or if that doesn't work for you...

what if you and your riding partner have a falling out, who gets to keep what???? :jomomma:thwak:bash
  20. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bug!

I am down in Jupiter and I am prepping my new-to-me 08 690r for a trip this year. I was intermediate or better off road on my xr350 (that tells you how long ago!) and have been piling road miles since. Been lurking here for a few years and on a trip to TN last year I rode a few hundred miles of horrible gravel roads on my Road Glide so hence the KTM! I want to at least do the TET S and some of the TAT this year. Definitely need some seat time beforehand! I am watching this thread as I may be able to hook up with B for a bit of it.