Looking for partners for the TAT 2015

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Bbenson, Nov 3, 2014.

1. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep + 1
  2. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Your location might offer some opportunities to commute to and/or from the start (I'm on the west coast of FLA). I've toyed with the idea of trailering to a point south and west of the start so that I could have easy access to the start and finish. Considering the trailer if I have a shortened vacation time (I'm calculating my escape for good though - that is 11/16, but I might be able to retire 11/15!). If I have more time I'd ride up from here, with plans to head up to British Columbia and possibly beyond after the TAT.

Just looked up the TET. Never knew that existed, but that looks like a great summer vacation ride since it is a loop!
  3. NicorAdv

NicorAdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What month you plan on starting?
  4. hardhat

hardhat Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Planning to do the Western half of the TAT - Denver to Oregon fall 20115. A few of us are planning at this point. Let me know if there's interest out there. Cant disengage for a month to do the whole thing. Plan to ship bikes to Denver, then ride to Oregon. Probabably 10 days riding (that sound right?) Leave around Labor Day. (Frank says that's the best weather. And Frank knows!)

My bike is a well used but reliable KTM 625 SXC set up for adv riding. Others are bringing Suz DR400 and a Suz 650. We are "reasonable" adv type riders. Not racers. Looking to have fun, not ride super fast. Mostly hotel, some camping.

Let me know if you are interested!
  5. derrickbwg

derrickbwg Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm Interested. My riding partner just decided to bail this week. I have a KTM 500 EXC that I bought for the trip last year and a new business got in the way. I'm in North West Ohio. Wide open on dates and time frame.
  6. NicorAdv

Oddometer:
    For me it is the 1st or 2nd week of June.
    Still trying to decide if I want to run the TAT, or just head to N.M., Az. to look around.
  7. NicorAdv

Oddometer:
    I am going to run it.
    Start date 1st/2nd week of June (preferred) or July or Aug start.
    Solo - 1st/2nd week of June.

No limitations on time frame to complete.
    Don't mind meandering around and taking time.
    Not really in a big hurry to complete, I like to stop and smell the roses.
    Have no interest in stopping for pics in cities or what not, but wilderness, wild landscape is a different story.

Don't mind going solo, 3 riders (max) would be best. IMHO.
    Although to get 3 riders together that are not limited to a timeframe would be kind-da hard.
  8. rastawheel

rastawheel Pittsburgh, PA

Oddometer:
    Steel City. Single track and No-trail heaven.
    I have two of us leaving out of Denver end of July and running down to Salida and out to Port Orford, then down the coast to San Fran and head back east to Denver after that.
  9. NicorAdv

Oddometer:
    Do you have a timeframe you have to meet?
  10. ndavis

ndavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to do the TAT up to Utah, am retired so the dates are flexible, I have a KTM for the woods but I think my KLR is a better choice for this trip.
  11. NicorAdv

Oddometer:
    same 'retired'. I like my DR, no plastic to break when dropped. :)

I really prefer to leave about the latter part of the first week of June.
    Going to try to turn it into two trips in one, need to leave Or and come back through Arizona and New Mexico, while avoiding California.
  12. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey TAT riders, I'm just a half hour or so from Tellico Plains, Tn (the start of the TAT). I was lucky enough to have done the entire TAT a number of years ago. I had a blast! :D
    If I can be of any help to you folks, feel free to PM me. I have garage, tools, cabin/shack, etc......
    I'm in Tallassee, Tn 37878. Rick
  13. NicorAdv

Oddometer:
    Looks like I may ride else where in June, CDR.

Have to wait and see what else this other rider has to say about riding it.
  14. rastawheel

rastawheel Pittsburgh, PA

Oddometer:
    Steel City. Single track and No-trail heaven.
    Not really, but plan is to leave around the end of july.
  15. Haenszel

Haenszel Let it ride.

Oddometer:
    Messaged you, OP.

I'm in Buffalo and am looking to take a few weeks in the back country out west also.
  16. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably obvious, but if you do share tools or other essentials, then be sure that you are prepared to end the trip together, or plan to purchase what you need if you have to split up.

I did the trip with a couple of riding buddies, and we agreed that if something happened that would end the trip early for someone, then the others would insure that that guy got safely to civilization somewhere and the others would continue.

A catastrophic mechanical failure ended the trip for one guy in Nevada. We got him and his bike loaded in a rancher's truck headed for Winnemucca. Everyone remains friends and riding buddies today.
  17. Sassybobo

Sassybobo n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm from Buffalo too and I've been tossing around the idea of a western ride! Just have to figure out how and when to get time off...
  18. mpgmr

mpgmr Utard

Oddometer:
    I have purchased an '06 DR650 from an inmate near Nashville (fly n' ride). Though it is pretty well frakled now, I am having a 7.9 gal tank (live in UT - SA ride anyone?), lever guards, and better skid plate added. I will pick up the bike near the end of April or first part of May. Brother and I have done the Western TAT (Boise City, OK to Port Orford) so my TAT ride stops in BC and I will slab it from there to NE UT. I am still deciding on how best to get from the Atlantic Ocean to Tellico Plains - either gpsKevin tracks or slab it to Andrews and then over the Smokies to TP via Sam's new addition. Have ridden the Mex2Can, Western TAT and over the years have had many hours on dirt bikes. Self-sufficient, two hundred miles in the dirt in a day is a good day and reluctant but good with slabbing it when time constrained (to get done by dark) type of rider. Prefer moteling it, but bringing hammock just in case. At this juncture, my brother is not likely going, thus I am seeking others who might be leaving TP in the above time frame (late April/early May). Have/using Sam's maps, roll charts, and GPS tracks. Shoot me an IM if the above is agreeable or to chat further, and if you are good with having company over the Eastern TAT.
    mpgmr AKA Gary
  19. Jh321

Jh321 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in Michigan and would like to do a trip some time early june (aka close to june 1st). I have to be home June 19th. I know the colorado passes aren't supposedly passable till late June but I was in keystone last week and they had barely any snow. Most hillsides were bare.

I will be on an f800gs and have raced motocross/trials.

I would like to meet up with at least one other person to do it.I am completely open to anything though and love just adventuring around. Anyone doing early June?
  20. psd96

psd96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My plan is to leave around the middle of May and ride as much of the TAT before I have to head south to the highways. I have to be in SoCal by the end of the month. I don't plan on pushing hard so I may only get to west Oklahoma. I'll be camping and hitting the hotel/motels along the route. I'd like to meet up with other riders also, that whole safety in number thing, but I enjoy riding alone too.