Looking for parts to a klr 600

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Danielj, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Danielj

Danielj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi as the title says I'm trying to find parts from a klr 600 but I'm not having much luck. Does anyone have any tips and ideas for places too look? I've already tried eBay partzilla and a couple others but not luck. Id appreciate any help.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    check ebay

maybe Eagle Mike

what parts do you need? there are some 650 parts that work. not a lot but some
  3. Danielj

Danielj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll definitely check but I'm trying to hook up a klr 600 kick start in a klr 650 so I need the idler gear kick start assembly and some other parts.
  4. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a kickstarter set, but due to covid will only be able to ship after May 2021.:dunno
    Beezer likes this.
  5. Danielj

Danielj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm more then happy to wait
  6. Beezer

Oddometer:
    guess you know then that the clutch basket has to be pre 1996 (it was a mid year switch... early 96 may work)

change the doo, change the early balancer weights if they are the spring loaded ones, and over service the forks. the book is wrong about oil level
  7. Danielj

Danielj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm using souperdoo instructions to complete it all I've already found a 95 clutch basket a per o8 clutch cover and a per 11 transmission for my bike. So all I need now it the kickstart assembly and the idler gear.

https://www.souperdoo.com/stuff tha...ckstarter-but-were-afraid-or-too-smart-to-ask

As for the door I got one from eagle Mike with the torsion spring upgrade. I didn't know about over servicing the forks I'll have to look into that more thank you.
    Beezer likes this.
  8. Beezer

Oddometer:
    book says pull the springs, collapse the forks, fill until oil is 190mm from the top. that is minimum, anything less is dangerous. I used to run KLR tech days and checked dozens of bikes & never found one that had that minimum oil level unless the owner did the work. when the bike was a 600 (slightly different forks) the minimum was 170mm... that works better. more oil = less dive. my starting place was 170mm and 10psi air on top (sticker on the fork says you can use up to 25). until I installed Ricor valves (way worth it) I ran oil at 150mm or so, though I've tried more. oil can be added through the air valve hole. 1cc = 1mm change due to fork geometry