Looking for race catheter advice from the peanut gallery

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Whodatschrome, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. MatttheHatt

MatttheHatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can build your own from amazon and save a bit, but get the sample pack if you don't know your size.

- Be honest with your sizing

- It may be worth trimming any hair that may get caught in the adhesive.

- Install with everything a little plump

-Make sure the hose neither kinks nor tugs and make sure it terminates where it won't make a mess.

-Its not as easy to piss in your pants as you might think... but if you're drinking enough you'll get plenty of practice.
    RenoMoto and Whodatschrome like this.
  3. Hukamosh

Hukamosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never needed anything like that. You hydrate but sweat most out in my experience.
    In Roadracing the 24hr usually the stints were no more than 4 hours then you had to switch rider per rules. I know of one instance of having to go while on the bike and the rider in question just took a pee on the bike but then Team Suzuki paid for the leathers and the cleaning.
    Got to do what you got to do; how deep is your commitment sort of thing.
  4. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess i should have been a little more descriptive in my first posting. The type of moto racing i'm interested in is offroad desert, not road racing. In my experience with both road and desert racing, hydration was never, ever and issue on the tarmac, only in the dirt. I myself drink around 3-4 liters for a 3-4 hour desert race when the outside temps are around 70 degrees. I'm commited to racing as efficiently as possible, but i don't think that for myself that having a wet seat for hours will lower my overall finish time. Maybe if there was a pond or swimming pool to jump in after the race to clean the caked on mud urine from my britches, but you don't see either of those too often out in the desert.
  5. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    My Dad told me of a BF Goodrich seminar he attended back when he was off roading trucks which featured Ivan Stewart. After the technical stuff, somebody asked him if he could just tell a couple of racing stories.

He told of waiting to start the 1000 one year, sitting in the truck waiting and waiting...and waiting. He had to pee and was wearing catheter routed out the bottom of the truck so he let it go. One of the mechanics standing around the truck saw the fluid and dove under the truck. He was yelling "Don't taste it! Don't taste it!" :rofl
    snglfin likes this.
  6. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    PCI knows what's up
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  7. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Inquiring minds are interested...what's the process for getting the cath outside? Assume if you're racing you have ITB pants, so are you just putting a designated slit in the bottom of your pantleg for it?

Rallying I've typically held until I hit a refueling stop and jumped off...when I haven't, I've jumped off along next to the trail...typically when I had to stop anyway for a gate or something. I assume that you're competitive enough in your format though that the 1min stop is not acceptable?
  8. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....i really didn't think of the ITB pants, so you kinda have me "stumped" on that one.

Rallying, it makes sense to hold it until the gate or refuel and that's what i try to do, but sometimes it could be an hour between gates. I have a difficult enough time reading a roadbook while just being on a bike when i don't have to pee, a full bladder just adds another dynamic that i'm hoping to eliminate. No, i'm not really competitive enough that a 1 minute stop will break the bank, BUT for desert racing, a 1 minute stop most likely means that you'll be passed by someone...and when that happens in the desert, you're going to get dusted out enough that you'll have to ride slower until the dust settles. So that could mean that other racers will have an even better opportunity to catch up to me (providing that i'm ahead of them in the first place).
    godwinmt likes this.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, i feel that i'm reasonably heathy. I go to the gym 3 day a week and do weights and a spin class for 2.5 hours without a break. I then like to crank out a short 6 mile run on the the fourth day. When i train for a dirtbike race, i like to ramp that intensity up a notch and train closer to 5 days a week. I've raced a few marathons and triathlons, and no, i don't drink that much water during any running race. When i'm racing on close to a 500lb dirtbike (ktm 990a) while wearing full gear (and not a pair of skimpy running short), i go through more way more water. My body weight before a running race is about 155lbs. After a marathon or a 20 miles training run, i'm down to around 147lbs. I usually stop to pee once during a marathon (never during a 13.1 race). A gallon of water weighs right about 8lbs...which is well within a 2.3 liter per hour sweat rate loss for a runner (also dependent on outside temperature).

Everyone is going to drink, sweat, and pee a different amount. I'm just looking for a race catheter advice for those who have worn them in the past while racing dirtbikes.
  10. Snafu2

Snafu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've no personal experience but have run race cars for people that use them including paraplegics. The best advice I heard was to speak to your chemist or doctor, this is a medical device and are used by thousands of people on a daily basis. If you're going use them you want to get it right as getting it wrong can lead to very nasty consequences and I don't mean just a wet patch, it's not a place that you want to get an infection.
    As for size, you're a desert racer, biggest is best ........................ :-)
  11. Snafu2

Snafu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the other hand, I knew someone who reckoned that qualifying with a full bladder made him quicker.
  12. MatttheHatt

MatttheHatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just cut a small slit in the back of my pants then gorilla taped the last bit of hose to go to the heel of my boot so I didn't get a soggy foot. If you wanted to be fancy you could take it to a seamstress and have her put in a large button hole at the right spot.
    RenoMoto and Whodatschrome like this.
  13. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:
    The hard enduro guys just go. You're going to wash your gear afterwards anyway...
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent many years off road racing in the Southern California desert and Baja. I’ve never needed an external catheter on the bike but used them every time while co-driving (“navigator”) in cars and trucks.

As mentioned some people (like me) will have problems initiating flow while actively racing. I just find it really hard to relax enough. Usually I have to wait until I reach a pit before I can relax enough to pee.

Much like the Ivan Stewart story and my own experience, many other people have to wait until they get to a pit before they can pee. We always used it to break in the n00bs and get a good laugh by getting them to smell the fluid coming out from under the car!!
    wrk2surf likes this.
  15. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can’t carry enough water to over hydrate while racing.
    craigincali and Whodatschrome like this.
  16. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I used the PCI condom style. Trim the pubs, make sure you don't cut it too short. It needs to be long because you will be sitting down
    Strong Bad and Whodatschrome like this.
  17. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Its
    A condom with a hose attached
  18. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Dont take this the wrong way but you wont be leading any important races and rally has many many spots where you regularly come to a stop why not take a look around check the bike real quick and have a leak. I have raced and rally'd quite a few big and long races and once I need to really piss I pull over whether at note change or on a straight away after looking back of course and lean the bike on my ass and piss while allowing it to idle. Zip up wipe my goggles and go. No more than 2 minutes lost and I didnt have somthing on my johnson making me totally un comfortable. I can see if youre in a car and dont want to un belt and climb out.

Sometimes after a wizz I take a quick snap with my self timer instamatic...

152.JPG
    JMo (& piglet) and Strong Bad like this.
  19. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great pic wrk2surf! I'm not taking it in any sort of negative way. I know that i will NEVER, EVER, EVER be leading any important races, but i still like to dice it up with the mid-pack racers so that i can get my green colored participant ribbon. Yes i have leaned my idling bike on my butt while taking a leak. It was very awkward but doable. I must have inherited my father's prostrate, because once i "open the tap" it seems like i need to go again every 30 minutes to an hour.
  20. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe i should have posted my question over in a BMW GS forum? I'm sure there are plenty of those riders who have prepped their bikes and bodies for a non-stop Starbuck westcoast to Starbucks east coast ironbutt ride.
    intrepid_ADV and wrk2surf like this.