Looking for race catheter advice from the peanut gallery

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Whodatschrome, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could wear a diaper like that lady astronaut who was driving to kill her boyfriend's wife.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    I am the same. But still will never wear one. Most rally bikes have kickstands.
  3. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an update, i ended up ordering a PCI catheter. I don't have much expectations on whether it will work for me or not, but i'm going to try it out anyhow. I'll experiment with it on a trail ride to see if it will be comfortable enough for me during a race. If it doesn't work out, then no big deal, i've wasted lots of money in the past on much more expensive parts that didn't work out for me. I'll keep everyone posted if it works out for me or not. If not, then keep your eyes open for a used PCI race catheter in the Flea Market...
  4. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the internet, where people will tell you how you're pissing wrong. If you have a medical supply place in your town they sell the same set up for folks and for cheap. I'd say try a few to get the best size it makes a difference.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went out to the first couple of the Rock Crawler races known as King of the Hammers where there are 1,000’s of young guys spectating covering the steep canyon walls. Many of them carrying back packs full of beer. I noticed that a bunch of them were using external catheters as seen by the little hose taped to the back of their boots!
  6. jgas

jgas Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    I am retired army. Some guys used them on long missions where we might be stuck in a truck for hours, or in a hide. I couldn't let go with the thing in my thing. Tried, didn't work for me. I just learned to be very uncomfortable, sometimes in real pain,and hold it. Not everyone could. I've seen guys pee in bottles while driving! Pretty good coordination. For racing I have peed my pants then used my CamelBak to dilute it. I used to carry the biggest CamelBak Pak with the largest bladder for drinking, and stuff another small bladder in with it. I just used a wooden plug in that hose and dumped it all. I ran that hose down near my crotch. A few times I just didn't have to pee so I drank from that system too. It dries pretty quickly at speed. Have also taped a water bottle to the bars and simply dumped that in my lap after a piss. Both were a bit refreshing! I've also been afraid of getting a catheter torn out in a crash. I admire your dedication! Good luck! Just remembered something...look up Safari land Soldier Solutions. MX legend Rick Johnson and Jeff Benrud, retired special forces Sgt. Major, own this company. They train military and contractors in off road motorcycle riding, and make products to support that effort. Benrud solos Baja 1000 on a bike and uses a catheter. I bet they would be very happy to help.
  7. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    The one the OP is refering to is a condom with a hose attached to the end. Not one of the internal devices. Yes, the hose could possibly get tangled/yanked but in the worst case should only lose a bit of skin and hair as the condom tears off.
  8. jgas

Oddometer:
    Ah. Didn't know about these. Makes much more sense.
  9. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like when Larry Janeski did the Baja 1000, he had the tube coming out of his leg somewhere above the knee. Go to minute 5:27 for a quick glance. There’s a few more close ups further into the movie.

10. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    l

I agree with all of the above. And yes, it is VERY hard to piss in your pants when riding off-road. Pic from the first Kings of the West R.A.C.E. courtesy of Hilslamer.

upload_2021-10-13_6-18-27.jpeg
  11. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think that the only time it would be even a possibility to pee would be during a smooth transition section where there’s no bumps? That might be difficult to find a 1/2~1 mile section of smooth terrain during a race.
  12. TallPaulAZ

TallPaulAZ On borrowed time

Oddometer:
    I've used the one linked in the op many times racing off road cars. they work great and I've never had a problem with them. You get used to peeing on the move.
  13. jgas

Oddometer:
    We were getting the old fashioned kind from army medics. The internal type. Hardest part was insertion. I tried it once. Just could not go! Some guys and a few gals used them. I have only been able to pee once while racing without stopping. I had a system to dilute my lap with extra water, but I couldn't do the deed except that once. Do we love to ride or what?!