looking for Ride Buddies going north

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Jun 2, 2020.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i quit my job last year so i can spend more time traveling while i'm still fit and healthy. for this year, my major riding plan is to continue the travel in EU however, this current pandemic put it on hold due to current restrictions.

now that it seems the relaxed attitude towards "Shelter In Place" order, i love to get on the road.

and the great thing about international travel being on hold, this comes out as a great opportunity to ride and explore the many beautiful places here in our country.

i am thinking of taking at least 8 weeks and ride up north. just as important, i always enjoy the company of others.

right now the dates and routes are still flexible, but the goal is to attend the Red Pill Rally in Montana.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/shad...-vision-corvallis-mt-june-26-28-2020.1424218/

it's possible that i can leave here as early as June 19th and take my time leisurely riding up to my destinations.

other stops will be Crater Lake and Hood River OR after the Red Pill. the ultimate objective is to reach the northern border. i would like to ride the western states, including Idaho. of course, we'll be riding through NV on the way up to Montana.

i could either ride the Africa Twin or the 701 (still need a set up to carry luggage).

possibly 3 nights camping and 1 or 2 nights in hotel are the arrangements i have in mind and could change as we roll along whichever suits the group and availability of accommodation where ever we would be.

if you're interested, please post up and use this thread to integrate our plans and coordinate our efforts. no need to ride along the entirety of my trip if you can't. a few days would be great.
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm retired, bored, cabin happy and none too bright. But you know that.
    Keep me in mind.

- Marty
  3. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Red Pill Rally also after Noobs didn't happen. I would be up for riding some of your route but it would be on a new to me GSA, not looking for anything other than easy dirt. I picked it up in Florida (Fly-N-Ride) 5 days ago and I'm currently in North Carolina on my way back to AZ (Not retired but currently in denial). I'll be watching this thread.

- Dave
    NSFW likes this.
  4. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Norty01, NSFW, Andrew and 1 other person like this.
  5. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joel,

Sounds like fun, but I have a minor medical issue that might keep me off of riding motos in the dirt most of the summer. Will know more next week. But that won't keep me from traveling and offroading in the van. Might do WABDR in the second half of July. If nothing else lets keep in touch with plans and perhaps our paths will cross.

--Joe
    NSFW likes this.
  6. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Interested.
    NSFW and Motopsychoman like this.
  7. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In! Depending on your departure date/route, will use the DeLorme, to Connect up around Cedarville / Boise-Twin Falls / Wherever, and ride to Red Pill for Rally&Camp.

Any inmates want to join me and my Halfrica Twin?
    Loose plan is to leave So.CA/LA around June 14/15th, Probably following coast north. Camping along the way, (occ.Motel too), Big Sur, Usal/Mattole Roads, Lost Coast Exploring. Depending maybe more Overnights/Camping in the Humbolt/Lost Coast/Happy-Camp/Cedarville area, and on the way to connect with NSFW for ride to Red.

Flexible on Date & routes...

Joel, wish I could continue to OR after, but need to return to LA July 4th latest, will probably ride south after Red.

Mike B
    NSFW likes this.
  8. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Checking my schedule and talking to the boss's about time off and away. Maybe i can join you for some of this ride either before or after the Red Pill or a bit of before and a bit after
    Migolito and NSFW like this.
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks guys for chiming in....:y0!

found this one, Montana's weather in June and July....all these really depends on location and elevation.

Weather in June
    June is one of the best times to visit Montana as the state basks in the glorious temperate sun. The average high temperatures are in the delightful 70°F (21.1°C) to 80°F (26.7°C) range, while average low temperatures are around a mild 40°F (4.4°C) to 55°F (12.8°C). Sunshine is plenty in the lower valleys, and the higher plains also receive adequate sunlight during the summer.
    June is wet in many places as the rain gauge accumulates 3" (76.2mm) with heavy showers, especially in eastern Montana. Summer conditions are pleasant in the fertile river valleys such as the Paradise Valley, Big Hole Valley, and Gallatin Valley, among many others.
    However, keep an eye on the weather for thunderstorms, which are common during the summer, and the vastly open plains provide a little respite from the storms and the rain! Carry rain protection and pack layered clothing, especially on the high mountain trails or the badlands.
    June sees a swarm of tourists in Montana, around the Glacier and Yellowstone national parks, and many other state parks.

Weather in July
    July is the hottest month of the year in Montana with beautiful summer weather. The average high temperatures in the state are 75°F (23.9°C) to 88°F (31.1°C) and the night temperatures average 40°F (4.4°C) to 55°F (12.8°C).
    July is a little damp, but the rain is usually light and in the 1" (25.4mm) to 2" (50.8mm) range. Sunshine is the general norm everywhere, yet the temperatures are moderate, and it is rare for any place to see the mercury column touch 100°F (37.8°C). Thunderstorms sometimes happen in July, but they are mostly of the dry type and occur mainly in the eastern portion of Montana.
    Keep in mind, particularly in the highlands and mountain ranges, that temperatures plummet during the night, so keep warm clothes when camping in the mountains and national parks. Higher altitude valleys like the Big Hole River valley and West Yellowstone see freezing temperatures in the night even with high summer day temperatures!

https://www.weather-us.com/en/montana-usa-climate#climate_text_11
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    HandCanonShootr likes this.
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Dave, congrats on the GSA. no problem, i don't plan on taking tougher roads than a graded forest road, but mostly it will be pavement on the way up.

my self-preservation is always on top of the list.

Joe, by mid July most likely i will be in WA

love to follow the sound of a triple....:ricky

cory, great if you could join me or us. bring along @rjnutt
    CA Stu and Some Beach like this.
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:

damned covid messed everyone up.....you should have bought a KTM to keep you busy in the garage.....not in a negative way, i mean farkling the bike up.

Mike, good you'll able to start earlier. i plan to do the west coastline on the way back since it will cooler than inland.
  13. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of Oregon will be much more open this coming weekend!
  14. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joel,

Depending on where you're at, I might be able to meet you for a time in later July for several days...

[​IMG]
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    nice picture Larry. that was an epic and unforgettable trip we did. for sure we need a local to guide us in your neck of the woods. thanks.

here is day 1 - 3. it's just a general route and not exactly the road we're taking. maintained dirt road is priority!

https://goo.gl/maps/wWhiCX2PSR98KcKX6

upload_2020-6-4_13-8-27.png
    Some Beach likes this.
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
  18. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great. If using that SnakeRiver campground mentioned (looks nice) makes for a long
    days ride from Crater Lake.
    Either Cedarville or CrLake, good meeting points for me.

Looks like 9 days has you leaving closer to the 17th
    How's the AT coming along?

Mike
  19. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I would suggest looking for somewhere to camp west of Boise. I prefer a couple of 7 hour days to one 14 hour day.
  20. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a CG I've stayed at several times that is on the route between Boise & Stanley: Hot Springs Campground

This is likely to be full on a Friday or Sunday, but good chance of availability on other days.

--Joe