Looking for Riding Buddies - SoCal

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dr..jones, May 15, 2020.

1. dr..jones

dr..jones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I've got a big bore adventure bike for longer trips and a plated dirt bike for back country weekend rides or overnight camping.

The problem is that my most consistent riding partner is my Dad. Which has made for some incredible memories over the years, but he is telling me he is just getting a bit too old for the type of riding I want to do.

So it looks like I'm looking for some new riding friends! Anybody interested in doing an overnight trip on some plated dirt bikes? Or maybe we start planning a 4+ day trip on the big bikes?

Just trying to find some cool people to ride with. Send me a message!

And just to round out this post that is starting to sound like a personal ad on Craigslist... :-)

A bit about me...

My name is Steve, I'm 37. Happily married with two kids. I work in technology sales. Some of my favorite things: Motorcycles (of course), Jiu Jitsu, Bow hunting, camping with the family, and volunteering with the Orange County Search and Rescue Team. I'm a big family man who wants to get outside and enjoy the ride. I'm not the fastest guy on two wheels, but I have been riding since I was young and can hold my own. I've done the Utah BDR, parts of the SoCal BDR, and many other longer adventures. I live in the city of Orange in Orange County if that helps. I mostly ride Arrowhead/Big Bear and Johnson Valley now, but open to new destinations and new adventures.

My Bikes:
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
    Husqvarna 501 FE
  2. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve! I'm in a similar situation in terms of looking for buddies for riding and camping.
    I'm Mike, 30 y.o., live with a girlfriend but she doesn't want to ride anymore (we got rear-ended with her as a passenger last year, we spilled with some moderate injuries to both, but while I was riding again in a couple weeks but - she won't sit on a bike since).
    Anyway - I live in west L.A., also work in tech as an engineer... Also enjoy camping, hunting (using PCP airguns, although I have a 9mm handgun for defense), also bicycle riding (which in fact I've started way earlier than motorcycling).
    Have the KTM-1190 seen in my profile pic, and a lighter, much cheaper and more nimble Yamaha FZ-6 for commuting around the city and lane-splitting - when I need neither the off-road ability, nor cargo capacity of the big-ass KTM.
    dr..jones likes this.
  3. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ It's a match!
  4. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Myself and another rider are going to lake Isabella tomorrow morning with some riding northwest from the lake, and one overnight camp. PM me if you wanna join =)
  5. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :photog
    BrockEvan likes this.
  6. MVP

MVP Orange County Dirt Noob

Oddometer:
    In the same boat as well. My riding buddy got T-boned a few years ago and doesn’t ride anymore for the time being. Can’t blame him after coming out of the coma :(.

My name is Mike and I’m 33 in Anaheim. I work nights so I’m not an early starter unless I’m out camping somewhere already. I have been camping in my truck tent recently in Johnson Valley and exploring a little bit by myself. It would be great to have some company. I have been taking my Honda CRF250r out there but I also have a BMW G650gs and a BMW K1600GTL for touring.

I’m not into camping off of a bike but I’m down to ride. I have ridden to Arizona a few times on the 650gs and stayed at Motel 6 and explored from there.

I would call myself a novice in the dirt. I don’t fall often but I’m not The most technically skilled. I’m not trying to hit the toughest hill climbs and hardest trails. I just like riding and exploring.
  7. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in OC as well, would love to join you on a big bike adventure on my 1090 sometime. Unfortunately I'm in a wheelchair until at least July, when it will be too hot to do much exploring.

I'm 27, a little young compared to a lot of the members here I suppose. Interested in doing some camping, because I work at a hotel so I'm not that interested in staying at them in my off time. My only other off road riding companion is so stupidly better at riding than I am, that it's shocking I haven't already killed myself trying to keep up with him (then the bastard tells me he was taking it easy!). Our non-traditional work schedules also rarely line up. So the concept of riding with someone who is capable of not riding fast at all times is appealing to me. I prefer mid week rides since there are less people out in the dirt M-F in general, but especially less people in trucks and jeeps that always seem to be the ones who almost run me down.
    Shodan2 likes this.
  8. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out meetup.com and facebook So Cal Dual Sport Riders group. There will be plenty of people and groups who do cool stuff.
    dr..jones likes this.
  9. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also check out SoCal Adventure Bike Riders on Facebook.
    Bullseye and el Pete like this.
  10. Pucker

Pucker This is gonna hurt

Oddometer:
    Nice bikes.

I grew up down the street from Yorba (dog) Park & the YMCA, by Chapman Medical Center off the 55. I went to LaVeta, McPherson, Elmo & CSUF. Used to ride Santiago Canyon when it was dirt. Now, I roam the hills around the 10/210/60 fwys touching as little tarmac as I can.

I'm looking for the same thing as you. I rode most of my life, most of it stupid. I ride and dress very differently now with a wife & kids. No tracks. No racing. First love is desert single track, but forests and mud don't suck. I grew up camping out of a truck, but I'm inspired to move toward bikebacking as well. I'm a bit short of all the super-lite gear needed to make that practical, so I still just do day trips.

My bike is a Honda 650L w/ a 6-gal tank & racks to hold more. Waiting on delivery of a replacement front wheel, otherwise I'd be riding. I don't mind riding alone, but it's only a matter of time before that catches up with me. I've needed help in the middle of nowhere before, and there's no longer any cavalry ready to locate me and recover my broken body &/or bike. I'm the cavalry, now.

Anyway, Pioneer Town is next for me. Did a lot of trails in the area already, but haven't officially checked that one off my list. Also thinking of the Husky monument & Pinnacles. Drove past them enough times going to DV, might as well see them too. Speaking of DV, the cabins there are awesome, and I've only ever seen a couple of them occupied a couple times. I'm dying to stay in one of those. Dialing in the carb while I wait for my wheel. Blessed to still have a paycheck, but TONS of time now on my hands. Let me know if & when you'll be in the IE/Pass area. I'm down for anything around Big Bear, Mt San G, Mt San Jacinto, Joshua Tree, Johnson Valley, etc - after I get that wheel on, that is...

Also, there's a Temecula-based group in the West forum that rides every Wednesday (HUMP DAY RIDES). They may be a bit closer to you, but their rides are never longer than afternoon/evening. Big group, and they appear to be well organized.
    Zubb and dr..jones like this.
  11. dr..jones

dr..jones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for so many great suggestions, resources and conversations started! Such a great community on this forum. I appreciate everyone who has responded.
  12. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://dualsport-sd.com

San Diego Adventure Riders. Great group with a lot of 250's up through 1290's. Check us out if you want to ride between you and the border.
  13. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there room in here for someone who just wants to ride Scrambler-like routes? Or just ride mostly pavement on ADV/DS?

I'm also in South Orange County, CA. I've been off road A FEW times and have the scars to prove it and not interested in adding any more. But I do love exploring.

Anyone interested in exploring an abandoned Navy Base in the desert?
    dr..jones likes this.
  14. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    Sure, more details please.

I have a fast adv style touring bike and lately have found myself with bit more time on my hands than I am used to. I also ride (or, "rode", since the whole racing season is in question) fairly seriously off road but that is a completely different animal. Personally, I do not care to cross boundaries much and am fine riding mainly pavement when on the street bike. S OC.
  15. OCLandspeeder

Oddometer:
    Cool. I can hang with faster riders on the streets to a point. But off road...very slow because I'm a dirt noob. I've explored the Mojave & Anza Borrego desert here and there, but mostly I ride to explore, not really for the sake of off roading challenge. I like to see new, and interesting places, that one rarely sees.

I don't have any details to the abandoned Navy Base because it's not really something widely documented. I've been there once but didn't get far because I was alone and the place was completely devoid of people and I didn't want to crash and die there alone. It's at the Salton Sea. But it's not in any map. You have to know the EXACT "road" to take to get there (it's not anywhere near Bombay Beach). Some areas can be deep sand. But it is REALLY cool to see.

Come to think of it, there are tons of abandoned places in the desert. There's Pisgah Crater (surreal Moonscape) near Amboy. Ludlow Ghost Town in same area. Not too familiar with Anza-Borrego. Tried going to the Rock House near Borrego Springs but only made it to the Dry Lake Bed before getting worried about crashing alone.
  16. OCLandspeeder

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Bombay Beach, it's looking like a partial "dry lake" there now. The shoreline has receded quite a bit and large areas are flat and "dry". But it's NOT! Venture too far into the Sea and you will sink like a rock!
  17. Rustler

Rustler Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    Rips Millar likes this.
  18. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see that you are aware of the deep sand. I'd be pretty wary on it on a scrambler and very limited offroad experience.

Pisgah crater is a cool spot to check out lava tubes, there are a few sizeable ones in the lavaflow right near the old cinder mine. The lava rock can be very sharp and rough on tires, so make sure you have to ability to make repairs/install a tube if you get off the road pretty much at all out that way.
  19. OCLandspeeder

Oddometer:
    Out on that abandoned Navy Base, the sand was similar to, windblown sand dunes. Some areas were sort of hard packed and my DR650 was able to float over them, other areas were quite soft. There is a "road" that lead into the base but it comes in and out of site depending on where the sand blew that week or month. It's quite surreal. And not many know about it. Enough folks know because I saw tire tracks. But it's nothing like Glamis or some other crazy weekend places.

Pisgah is a great place to visit on adventure. The whole area is surreal to me. It's probably been in dozens of movies. When I went I didn't really ride too far into the rocks at all. I stayed on the well worn paths from other vehicles. Ludlow Ghost town and Amboy Crater is not that far from there.

If any of you good folks are interested, let's all hook up to go see them.
    Zubb likes this.
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an awesome day ride. I’m down for that!