Looking for Socal service Guru

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NOMODOC, Nov 19, 2004.

1. NOMODOC

NOMODOC IT'S HORSES-MEAT OR STEEL

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for someone in Socal who does their own service on BMW/GS/1200 who would be interested in teaching me. I'm a retired surgeon with knowledge of how the bike systems work but with little hands on experiance with valve adjustments, throttle sync etc. Of course I would be happy to pay for the advice. I just want to be able to do my own services as I want to know they are done right!

If you can help please PM or E-mail.

THANKS
  2. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    ...but I do have a joke for you...

A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Harley motorcycle when he spotted a well-known heart surgeon in his shop. The surgeon was there waiting for the service manager to come take a look at his bike. The mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey Doc can I ask you a question?" The surgeon, a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic working on the motorcycle. The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take valves out, fix'em, put 'em back in, and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I get such a small salary and you get the really big bucks, when you and I are doing basically the same work?" The surgeon paused, smiled, leaned over, and whispered to the mechanic..... "Try doing it with the engine running!"
  3. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I know next to nothing about the 1200 motor. But, my 1150 is becoming very familiar to me.

Next time I'm adjusting my valves you are welcome to stop over and share the experience. I don't charge. And there is usually something cool to drink and some chairs to sit in. Once upon a time I had a real job as a BMW mechanic, then I listened to my wife and graduated... Ya know I never did have to create any powerpoint charts when I was spinning wrenches...

The first thing I go looking for after buying a motorcycle is a manual. I don't know if BMW have one available yet, and Clymer probably won't for another year or so.

Once you know the factory drill, valve adjustments are simple as are throttle body syncs.

My next challange is to bleed the brakes. That requires tank removal and I have to plan this just right, so there isn't that much gas in the tank. And as long as I'm there, I guess I'll service the battery and change the fuel filter.

email works best:
    richard.e.nowels@boeing.com

cheers,