Looking for some advice involving Krauser 4 valve heads

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Myduffy, Nov 16, 2019.

1. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a find. If you can't find any takers here there's a fairly active NM Airheads group and a number of members in Silver City. You might hit them up.
  2. Myduffy

Myduffy n00b

Oddometer:
    That sounds interesting, any chance you have a link to that?
  3. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two Krauser-headed bikes were entered at a race at Daytona "back in the day". They were impressively fast, but neither finished the race. The team claimed both bikes suffered gearbox failures, but...
    spo123 likes this.
  4. El Matador

El Matador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please check your inbox.
  5. scottyb

scottyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Built back in the day. Have a spare set of heads with cylinders. anyone interested?
    getonyourbikeandride likes this.
  6. Arktasian

Arktasian Lets call it Naturalized

Oddometer:
    How does John communicate - on line or at the track? I've only encountered a couple of projects/ individuals that were open to discussing their craft with another squirter.
  7. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check with David Hunn in one of the above comments. That’s the bike there but there was also a turbo, injected 90s aswell.
  8. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be looking for a buyer on these, sell em off and fund other parts of your build.

Neat find, nonetheless.
  9. wallaman

wallaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Krauser heads are a great addition to an airhead! The only real downside is the addition of some weight to the valve train due to the addition of an "extra lifter" that fits in the head itself. (Stock lifter - new Krauser pushrod - new Krauser "lifter" - new Krauser rocker arm). That heavier valve train tends to be hard on stock cam and lifter contact surfaces, particularly at higher RPM. I don't recall who, but someone made a nice cam for this setup that had ramps that helped minimize this aggravation. Also, the Krauser lifters that ride in the heads had press fit "buttons" in the ends of the "lifter tube". These tend to leak and the lifters fill up with oil making them extra heavy. When (not if) this happens, the cam/stock lifter wear gets really bad eventually with catastrophic results. (I've never found a used set of these lifters that didn't have at least a little oil inside of them.) Easy fix is to silver solder the "buttons" into the tubes so they don't leak. That gives you a reliable top end that breathes well - a major improvement to stock based on the seat of my pants :) The Krauser pistons use Porsche rings that are readily available and can be had for chrome or cast iron barrels. And yes, the heads (even if not complete with all the other bits) are worth a LOT of money!
  10. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:

That would be Ray Peake, not John.
    Kiwiabbo likes this.
  11. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roger.... I knew it was one of those clever buggers