Looking for some info

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Steve Young, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Steve Young

Steve Young A Scotsman in Canada

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody, I am shortly immigrating from Scotland over to Calgary. I posted in another forum and was directed to here. I'm going to buy a GS, but was wanting some info on Blackfoot in Calgary, and the other BMW dealership in Edmonton. Which do you recommend ?
    I also have to sit my bike test again as I'm now officially a resident (long time coming) , whats involved over there. I sat my test 20 odd years ago.

Any info appreciated
  2. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you will find Blackfoot have a good reputation ..... sorry I don't know about the wobble test out West .... However, its not difficult out East.
  3. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle test in the big city is kinda tough. It's comprised of 8 low speed skill events in a parking lot. If you don't practice the 8 skills, you probably won't pass. I went to Too Cool Motorcycle School:

http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com/

In an afternoon, they provided the bike, showed me the 8 skills, gave me time to practice, arranged for the government examiner to come to the parking lot, and I was out of there in 4 hrs. You can't get insurance without a bike license so you can't get a plate. That's assuming you are a skilled rider. If not, take the 12 hour course from them....it could save your life (Things may be a little different in CDN) . Not much riding goes on around here in the winter, so hurry up, or book it for early spring.

Blackfoot is better than Argil in Edmonton. Blackfoot pissed me off enough times to make me go to Vancouver for all my servicing, but they are trying to improve. They sell 130 BMW bikes a year, and used to have one mechanic. You had to wait 6 weeks for everything. They didn't stock any parts - air filters were a special order item. I think it's gotten better. No BMW helmets available in N.A. so bring one with you. A BMW Rally Jacket is $1000 here.

Check out my other posts if you want to get a feel for what to expect riding wise.
    [​IMG]

Snow is more consistent than frozen mud.
    Welcome
    Stand Up
  4. Steve Young

Steve Young A Scotsman in Canada

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Stand up. I'm currently in the process of selling up in Scotland, and packin my shit, lookin to be over end of October. I have kind of resigned myself to the fact I'm not gonna have any 2 wheels till next Spring :cry I have been commuting regularly to Calgary over the past few years so have first hand experience in the weather over there. Awesome summers and cold winters. Which suits me fine, bike / snowboard in that order. Anyways roll on next year. It's gonna be fun checkin out some new roads etc....Have a lot of time off in my job and theres a lot of Canada to cover. Calgarian gilrlfriend doesn't quite know yet how many miles I will cover, but hopefully she'll come around :lol3
    Cheers anyway, and GO FLAMES GO !!! for tommorrow nite pre season game, lookin forwards to it.