Looking for some Ottawa area riders (BMW or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dialdn, Jan 17, 2009.

1. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Taking off this week for a ride north to Abitibi Canyon. We'll loop by Abitibi and camp near Smokey Falls. Not a long trip, 1500 km return unless we get side tracked and explore other routes out and back. Really just looking for some saddle time and remote (ish) camping. Pics to follow next week.
  2. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Fall colours fall water..
    Out for a little paddle with Mrs CdnX to take in some fall colours. We we were exploring an area we hadn't paddled but knew from driving by. A little ways in and we came to a beaver damn. No problems I just hauled the boats over figuring the return trip we just paddle over it and slide down to the low side. Saw lots of this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The return trip over the beaver dam went well.. for me. I'm heavy enough to sink the bow under and keep the kayak balanced. Wifey is a light weight so the boat ended up balanced on the tip and tail...for a short period.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

R'oh r'oh
    [​IMG]

Freaked me out but she did the right thing and pulled the release on the spray skirt while I was pushing her boat with the bow of mine to keep it from going completely over. Water was pretty chilly but we had her back in and the boat pumped out in no time.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  3. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Late start today as my buddy's pannier had lost a bolt and we had to come up with a KLR solution, cheap simple and reliable. We're 50km north of North Bay. It's raining pretty hard on our first night of streath camping.
    We left home around early evening and chased the sun out of the sky. The first day's ride when you just want to make distance to no place in particular. Once the sun disappeared altogether it was well past time to find a place to camp. Lucked out and found a good spot, I'll mark it and share. We sat around a little stove fire having supper and passing a flask back and forth until it started to rain. After 11pm now so rack time.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I have a few bike parts to get rid of in the Flea Market.

BMW brake pads and turn signals, Bosch fuel pump for free. R1150GS handguard plastic for free.
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Anyone want this Scottoiler oil or should I just recycle it? You can see the level in each bottle. Free, of course.

[​IMG]

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
  7. Brit711

Brit711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like the oil and the hand guards... BUT I'm not sure when I will be over in the Ottawa area next... I am near Hawkesbury ;)
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I can hang onto them for you. Let me know if you make it into town.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  9. Brit711

Brit711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Anybody into old bike leather jackets? I have a Sears bike jacket from the early 80s in size 42T to give. It's in reasonable shape for its age, though I noticed one of the shoulders has some stitching coming apart.

Perhaps someone into vintage bikes?

[​IMG]
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    And the "Bent Valve" Award goes to Stephanie!

[​IMG]

I was cleaning the garage when I found a bent valve from her Ducati 750SS, from back in the days when we rode bikes that looked good and sounded nice.
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    If anyone's considering heated gear, you could do a lot worse than buying Warm & Safe gear. Stephanie and I have their heated jackets and glove liners and they work really well, even with the marginal electrical output on the DR650. Their controllers work in a way which doesn't waste electrical power.

Well recently we had a couple of their controllers fail so I contacted the company and they worked with me to try a number of tests on the gear, and when the controllers proved faulty, they gave me an RMA and let me send them back for exchange, assuming they prove faulty for them too. These controllers are 2.5 years old. Warranty is 3 years.

The replacements arrived today, just in time for the cold weather we're about to get.

Also, there's an inmate discount in the vendors thread.
  13. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    I don't have their gear, or any heated gear but a few years back I contacted them and was really pleased with how personable they were and open to talk about their gear and answer my questions.
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Ok here's the report and pics.
    The bikes, my GSA and as mentioned ^ my buddy's KLR.
    [​IMG]

What's on the GSA? Well why travel light? Basic tools of course, tent, stove, cook set, water filter, sleeping bags (mmm two down bags..warm), two helinox chairs, 10x12 tarp and two telescoping poles. There 36 hrs of rations and snacks, flask of whiskey, bottle of wine, camera, phone, extra gloves, ablutions kit and all the riding gear to be warm and dry in wet and cold temps. It all packs up tidy like and is reasonably balanced.

I don't know what's on the KLR, some twine my buddy found on the side of the side of the road probably?
    Route day 1 &2
    [​IMG]

Day 1 is covered in the quote above. Anxious to be on our trip we rode into the dark, contrary to common sense. But we did find a good stealth camp. Coordinates to follow but we were near Temagami, just north of North Bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 2
    Some heavy rain over night so we packed up wet tents, had some breakfast and broke camp. Our goal for the day was Smokey Falls and I thought was we'd spend a day there camped out. The ride up to Kapuskasing was relatively uneventful, cool but we lucked out and missed the passing rain bands for the most part. Once in Kap. we fueled up and went looking for Smokey Line Rd. GPS and phones were of no help. Well any dirt road going north will do. And as luck would have it we hit the right one. What wasn't lucky was it was heavily used, wet soft and slick as snot. The big GSA shod with 70/30 tires had me wishing for TKCs. We made it 20km or so and decided to pull off and camp.
    Great night camped just past the first bridge we on a river.
    Looking into the tarp and chairs
    [​IMG]
    Flaskity flaskity flask
    [​IMG]
    We sat up late into the evening with a light rain falling and plenty of scrounged wood keeping the fire going. Fantastic evening that was a highlight.

Day 3
    We awoke to this.
    [​IMG]

And we were dealing with this:
    [​IMG]

A little leak from the the KLR's rad was growing. We'd picked up some sealant but it wasn't working.
    Crap roads, snowing, the BMW's continued attempts to dirt nap and the KLRs rad...do we turn around? Nope. On we go!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found this on the way
    [​IMG]

A long straight stretch of powerlines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made Smokey Falls, or at least the gate and worker. Construction prevented us from visiting the falls and with the weather continuing to turn to bad we pushed on over the dam.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty cool. The road after the dam was nice solid gravel and we turned up the go. It was cold and really snowing so we didn't stop much. Once we hit Smooth Rock Falls we fueled up and pushed on. The rad leak became problematic when the temp gauge on went into the red. Time to stop and reassess. We pulled into Kirkland Lake and into a hotel.

Day 4
    Simple day, no pics. While waiting for the ice to melt off the roads we walked to Cdn Tire and grab a jug of coolant. Kirkland to Petawawa was minimal drama but the leak was getting worse so more frequent stops to top up the rad. Great trip with just the right amount of challenges. The night around the fire and the scenery we passed made for a great memorable trip.
  15. Brenski

Brenski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NIce trip, write-up and pictures! I have canoed in the Smooth Rock, Abitibi Canyon area as a teenage Boy Scout, (grew up in Kirkland Lake). Fun waking up in the outdoors to snow, eh?
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Lots of great pictures in that post but this was may favorite.

[​IMG]
    BikerBobber likes this.
  17. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Nice area and the time of the year made for some cool scenery with fall colour and snow capped trees. Yup woke up in the night to snow sliding off the tent then it cool off and everything froze. I was a little concerned the BMW wouldn't start, takes a lot of juice to roll over the old tech tractor engine.

Another angle with the BMW bogarting the scene and my attempt at being artistic. Colours pop with the magic setting on the camera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DRPiersP and Lycan1 like this.
  18. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day for a ride in the woods!

[​IMG]
    Even Madder Matt likes this.
  19. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

So the last time I saw a bent valve like that, I timed an engine incorrectly. So you sure it was Stephanie s fault? Just checking. .. ;)
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Hey Sean, good of you to admit you time engines incorrectly. :)

I don't remember blaming anyone for it. First ride of the year, the bike had been running well, then it started running badly about 250 kms from home - as far as we can tell one of the belts was loose and slipped a cog. We hadn't changed belts on it, but we probably should have before that happened.