Looking for some Ottawa area riders (BMW or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dialdn, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makin' the rest of us look bad Jimmy :ricky
    juames likes this.
  2. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    I at least fired the bikes up and sat on them. Sadly, my shady street is 100% ice covered....
  3. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Another awesome day for a ride! Could this be the start of riding season???[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Sideroadrod and bigmo like this.
  4. Sideroadrod

Sideroadrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn I too was hoping to get out, but got tied up at work and never made it. Glad to see someome did SRR
    juames likes this.
  5. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Here in NB we just had more snow dumped on us on Wed. Cleared the driveway twice in one day it was snowing so much. The roads might open for Spring but the trails will be socked in well into May I suspect. We'll see. Would be nice to get a little riding in before heading to La Classique in May.
  6. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Same here - almost 3 days of steady snowfall and we're a foot deep in late spring coverage.
    We've decided not to rely on weather for pre-Classique training - we're heading to Moab for a week end of April beginning of May.
  7. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    I did just get back from 2 weeks of riding in Baja, albeit on the big bike so I've had a bit of handlebar time recently and there was some of this :ricky and this :muuttso I should be good :lol3. Enjoy Moab!
  8. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    That's right you dog - Baja is still on the short list for us.
    Jimmy has a new Sprinter Diesel and he's not afraid to use it - it will have less than a 1000 km's on the odometer when we head for Utah.
    I think it would make a great Baja support vehicle, hehehe.
  9. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Well if the Sprinter points its nose towards Baja some time I'm willing to help balance out the load with another bike....just saying lol. I think I'll be sending the KTM next year if I can pull it off.
  10. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Noted! I'll let Jimmy know we've got another interested party. See you at the Classique.
  11. juames

Oddometer:
    What a beautiful day! Anyone else get out?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
  12. Even Madder Matt

Even Madder Matt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was about to but found my air box full of mouse nest. Do your maintenance *before* riding season, kids!
    juames likes this.
  13. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    I got out for a bit.

mar.jpg

juames likes this.
  14. juames

Oddometer:
    Spring Maintence started! Today, new swing arm bearings, chain slider, rear break pads, 17/45 sprockets, new 525 DID chain and new rad cap.. Tomorrow front break pads, fresh Motorex Cross Power 10W/50 and new Engine Ice! Still undecided on what new shoes for this season...narrowed it down to Pirelli Rally Scorpians, Mitas E-12/C-17 or Motoz Tractionator H/T.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
    Sideroadrod and Even Madder Matt like this.
  15. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Doing the same plus the suspension is out for maintenance. The motoz HT front is bad in anything wet. The rear is ok if aired down. It lasts a long time though.
    juames likes this.
  16. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    Can I get an Amen? Sunny and 11 by next weekend!

Batteries topped off, new tires mounted...I even washed my gear that assumed a basement smell over the long slumber. It's time to ride! It's just 2 today, but with sun, it was a great time to see how the newly lowered 690 works. I have to say I am SUPER pleased. I'm not an NBA star by any means, but who was this bike made for?!?! The Kouba allows me to get both balls of the feet solidly down (without real stretching). Bike seems super stable too (raised the forks about an inch in the triples); took it up as fast as I could on Sir George Cartier and all seemed great (even on the TKCs).

So...new to the area (and Canada for that matter). What's considered taboo for trail use/wet? Will it be too wet next weekend? Or will a few days of sun and wind help dry things out enough to get the bikes dirty? I received my BMA/OFTR packet in the mail this weekend. All of this stuff is new to me.
    juames and Jbone11 11 like this.
  17. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Dropped my inner clutch basket when changing out the clutch dampers on my 500. White metal vs concrete with a predictable outcome of a broken off piece. Many foul and bad words were spoken after a moment of stunned silence. $100 lesson to be more careful and attentive to what I'm doing. Also a week or two wait while the part comes in as it isn't something a dealer stocks because I'm the rare idiot to break a part that rarely sees daylight let along gets dropped on a garage floor. Son of a ….Ah well not like the trials will be open around here anytime soon. Bike will be good to go for a local Spring kicker followed by La Classique. Other bike is still on route from Vegas so I'm bike less unless I want to clean up the carb on wifey's bike and go for a spin.
    juames likes this.
  18. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Canuckistan - you will love the riding around here. I’m glad to hear that you signed up with OFTR - you will get regular emails advising when trails are open and rideable.
    In the meantime there is a ton of wicked fun gravel roller coaster roads within an hour of Ottawa - especially up Calabogie way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bigmo and juames like this.
  19. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Ground is still frozen so will be wet for a while.

But get out and ride some gravel roads. Trails are closed behind my house but does not mean you cant get out and stuck on others. ;)

What part of the city you in?

20. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trails will be pretty shitty until at least May... However, nothing beats getting after it in less than favourable conditions to build skills and confidence. That said, if you're running tkc 80's on a big-ish bike, I'd stick to the gravel... TKC es no bueno in the mud. just watch the shady bits. There's still some ice hiding here and there.
    bigmo and juames like this.