Looking for some Ottawa area riders (BMW or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dialdn, Jan 17, 2009.

1. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Welcome!

As the others have said, most "trails" will still be snow/ ice covered in many places. Espiecally the ones that are used as snowmobile trails. Best to stick to gravel twisted for a few more weeks.
    bigmo likes this.
  2. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    I'm in New Edinburgh, about a block from Rideau Hall. There's a guy close by that has a couple of KTMs (both tagged). I need to drop by and see if he hangs out here. And as weird as it sounds, I was dropping my youngest daughter off for a musical dealio over in Nepean (off Rowley Ave if I recall) and a guy was cleaning up a tagged KTM as well. It looked like a smoker from a distance. I went back to say hi, but he had closed up his garage and I didn't want to look like a stalker lol.

I'm signed up for the Valley Rally event (I'll be riding my dirtbike). Def looking for some stuff suitable for the big bike too. I was here all last summer, but had some issues with Service Ontario (long story) and missed out on a couple months. I got a couple of good rides in Quebec (east of 309 mainly). I was really surprised how much nothing there is. I need a better plan for gas as I almost ran out a coupe of times.

I do plan on playing hooky at work a few times on Wednesday's and riding with Woody down in Perth. That's an easy way to kill and afternoon.

As odd as it sounds, I like trail maintenance. I find it therapeutic! I assume the club will send out trail work emails? If so, I can probably even drag the girls along.
    Jbone11 11 and pelvis_98 like this.
  3. Even Madder Matt

Even Madder Matt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the calendar on the BMA website, there are trail maintenance days in May.
    bigmo likes this.
  4. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the quebec stuff can be remote to say the least. Planning fuel stops and tracking mileage up there is a must. That said, for bigger bike stuff, there is a metric shit ton just west of Ottawa. The hydro line off of Joe's Lake is a fan favourite for bigger bikes... at least for me :D Pencil lake rd. is also good.
    soberjoe likes this.
  5. bigmo

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, little help needed. I'm still learning all of the peculiarities of living in Canada! i'm having trouble finding metric hardware. Tried Lowes, Home Depot and Canadian Tore - SAE only. There is a Fastenal close by (assuming they have it), but they are closed on the weekend grrrr.... I have a bolt that's 10mm too short.

Any ideas? I live in New Edinburgh, but at this point will drive just about anywhere.
  6. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Home depot where I live has metric.
    Might not be in stainless though.
  7. Sideroadrod

Sideroadrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ottawa Fastener in Bells Corners just down the road from Canadian Tire. They have all types of metric. This is where I always go. You can get whatever you need there.

SRR
    soberjoe, juames and bigmo like this.
  8. juames

Oddometer:
    +1 for Ottawa Fasteners! Awesome store!
    MotoPundit and soberjoe like this.
  9. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As previously noted, Ottawa Fastener Supply, 2205 Robertson road is the place to go for metric fasteners. What they don’t have in stock they will order in, but honestly they keep most everything you might be looking for in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    juames likes this.
  10. bigmo

Oddometer:
    Thanks all!
  11. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    TSC has metric, don't know if that have them (TSC) actually in Ottawa, or its only in the outlaying areas?

Don't know about your Canadian Tire, but some of them do have metric. For some reason though they might not keep it with the other bolts, they may have it in pull out shelves in the next row or some odd spot. or maybe its just my Canadian Tire that's screwed up.

Or go where all the others have stated. :)
  12. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Firstcall auto supply. Off of industrial..Lots of metric choice
  13. bigmo

Oddometer:
    Oh awesome. First Call is right by my gym - that's perfect. I did find what I needed at Ottawa Fasteners. Not perfect, but close enough. Nice staff too that spent 10+ mins in back trying to find exactly what I needed.

Rear rack and new skidplate is on the 690 and the bike is back on the stand - which means my wife can park in the garage again. That, gentlemen, was the goal all along...

Dare I look longingly at the forecast of 15 degrees and sun next weekend? My wife is leaving for a month-long business trip this week. No kitchen pass needed!
    Jbone11 11 likes this.
  14. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Yeah I used firstcall for my bonneville, acorn ss nuts for exhaust and a few other bits and bobs for the Ural. Good selection and decent pricing..

Im riding rain or shine, Got new wheels this year, on vacay and .... No wife- should be a banner year for K's
  15. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep... I've already put the wife on notice that if Sunday is nice, Im out for the day! :D
  16. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahahah, put the wife on notice, lol.
    More like “honey if I get all of my chores done can I please go out and play on my bike?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    juames and bigmo like this.
  17. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy my pants you!! :p
    soberjoe likes this.
  18. bigmo

Oddometer:
    FINALLY! One of the longest slumbers of no biking in a very long time. What a fabulous day to get some fresh air!

I ran over to Cumberland and took the ferry over and started north working up 315 (fabulous right now). Ran into snow west of Montpelier, so worked my way up around Lake Simon and back down around. About 250 km total - pretty stellar way to blow an afternoon!

Being new to the area, I wasn't sure what to expect. I have to say, I am quite pleased with the quality of bike bike roads north of town. It appears to be virtually limitless if one can keep track of fuel. I sure hope you all got out on what REALLY feels like spring!

I expect I'm going to put a TON of miles on the 690 this year!

Ferry ride (the 690's first).

[​IMG]

Somewhere along 315.

[​IMG]
    juames likes this.
  19. juames

Oddometer:
    It was a beautiful day! Added another 300kms to the odometer. Still quiet a bit of snow in some places thought.

IMG_20180422_210354_387.jpg
  20. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Still lots of snow here as well. Trails are mostly socked in so I made the best out of it and took to the quad tracks along the hwy.
    bigmo likes this.