Looking for some Ottawa area riders (BMW or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dialdn, Jan 17, 2009.

1. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    Hey lads - what's up. Been sitting on my ass since 1 Aug waiting for some clutch parts to arrive from Bavaria so take this rant with a grain of salt! ;-)

Wondering if anyone has seen these things on the road lately? With the lockdown happening this summer, I've been doing more riding around town than I would have in years past.

Not the typical "liquor cycle" scooter that we've seen on the roads here for many years, but technically the same class of "e-bike". These, however, to the untrained eye, look like full sized sport bikes. Only dead give-away is the green "e-bicycle" plate on the rear. As a rider, driver, cyclist and pedestrian, I was kind was kind of confused the first few times I came across them (riding in bicycle lanes, mostly). I can only imagine what a non-rider would think.

The other day, I was on my pedal bicycle (leg powered only) and I was almost t-boned by one of them when the rider came flying out of an alley onto the main road - no helmet, nothing. Clearly wasn't paying attention to his surroundings. I had the right of way. This guy didn't have the green e-bicycle plate - but it was definitely an e-bike, the EMMO Zone GTS. So, what does he think he's passing himself off as?

Was caught behind a gaggle of them on the Eastern parkway a few weeks ago. A dozen or more riding in the right hand side of the lane like a bicycle would, but all looked like full-on motorcycles from the rear, just moving slowly and unsteadily. I thought about it for a second or three before I finally passed the entire gang - I had to really squint to see what was going on. It looks like the local e-bicycle retailer leads evening groups rides of these bikes in popular spots.

From what I can tell, this is all kosher as long as the bikes have pedals (more like "pedal accessories") and have limited speed (32km/h as far as I can tell).

I won't go so far to be the cranky old git calling them a "menace", but they certainly project a motorcycle like image while behaving nothing like a motorcycle/motorcyclist would. I think I'd be better with it all if they looked more like bicycles and less like motorcycles.

This is the same make and model of the one that almost t-boned me the other day. You can *just* make out the fold down platform pedal behind the silver footpegs. Who do they think they are fooling? I'd like to see someone pedal that thing for more than block! At least the folks riding electric assisted bicycles have to pedal a *bit* to make the system work.

Honestly, I'd consider something like this as a city bike if I didn't have to pretend to ride it like I would a bicycle.

[​IMG]
  2. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! I passed one yesterday and didn't realize what it was.
    As for them wizzing down the bicycle lane; don't worry the bicyclists on our fairly major street have usurped the side walks leaving the peds to dive onto the grass verge or lawns
    frazman likes this.
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    This won’t take long to sell on Kijiji.

I took down the link. It was no longer working anyway.

IMG_7159.png
    juames and WHALENTJ like this.
  4. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    Nasty rider down collision up on the 508 near Calabogie today. Looked like a sport bike collided with an ATV - at Kennedy Rd. Not sure of the circumstances but someone was medevac’d out by Orng chopper that landed near Stinsons. I was there as the chopper was taking off and roads were still closed three hours later on my way back through. Hope there were no fatalities. Busiest I’ve ever seen Calabogie in 25 years of going up there. So much traffic. Was quieter up near Palmer Rapids/Quadeville.
    G-Mac likes this.
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    IMG_4067.jpg

Out exploring the back roads again last week. Spotted a couple of interesting possibilities. The Dixie road near Athens ends as an unmaintained road. The other is the Beals road, turns into Sheatown road. Starts in Hayes Corners.

Are those doable on a VStrom with Heidenau Scout tires?
    G-Mac likes this.
  6. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    @Emmbeedee
    All those roads intersect and had no surprises last year - thanks for the reminder I haven't looped through there this year (yet).
    I haven't tried the White Acres portion that links up with Big Waters Lane, but that sounds like a good idea for next weekend.

If you haven't already, go a bit further south to Mountain Street and Ferguson Road intersection - you can continue on the ATV trail and pop out at Warburton/Blue Mountain Rd intersection. It's a fun trail - a small rocky incline, and a few axle deep water holes with solid bottoms that never seem to dry up.

I was on the trail last weekend and met a new friend.
    IMG_7083b.jpg
    Emmbeedee and G-Mac like this.
  7. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    How can you even ask that question Mike?

The question is 'can you do it on ............etc.' There is only one way to find out. It's never the bike.

Nick
    Vikingtazz and Emmbeedee like this.
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    How about this Nick? Would you take this up that unmaintained road? ;)

Adjustments.jpg
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  9. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who me? Never! :rofl

DSCN7268.JPG
    Emmbeedee likes this.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    That’s pretty smooth for an ‘unmaintained road’.
  11. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes - best I could do. You're right Mike, I couldn't handle that tank if it was really rough. The Guzzzis, on the other hand................

Nick
    Emmbeedee likes this.
  12. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    So...apparently I did try linking White Acres and Big Waters last year - there is a path, but it's pretty gnarly and not something you'd want to try without knobbies.
    Got to a water crossing yesterday and recognized it from last year when it was much deeper. Looks worse than it is right now - stone bottom, about axle deep, just don't go off the line, there's a very deep drop off into the pond. This is on the un-named path that links Sheatown Rd and Big Waters/Beales Mills Rd.
    IMG_7141.JPG
    Those "roads" are actually marked as ATV trails. Some mud, some rocks, some water, but nothing awful.
    There's a nasty spot where Sheatown Rd meets the side path (un-named) but someone cut a work-around through the bush, which is great and lets you complete your loop.
    IMG_7135.JPG

If you're looking for the workaround at this spot, it's to the left about 20 yards up the un-named path.
    IMG_7140.JPG

If you continue south on Sheatown Rd, you come to a 4 way intersection. The south path goes to Escott-Yonge Townline Rd, west goes to Big Waters Lane, east goes to Marsh Rd. I recommend east to Marsh Rd if you're riding a Suzuki Cavalcade.
    IMG_7138.JPG
  13. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great post, I am headed that way this weekend and will tie this in. Also going to bug you for a ride at some point to get these Teneres lined up and in formation. Cheers.
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  14. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good plan.
  15. Geofan

Geofan n00b

Oddometer:
    Regardless of the oncoming cool weather and rapidly receding riding season it was an amazing Sunday to tool around the Marlborough Forest on my Desert Sled ... I love this bike!!

Attached Files:

Vikingtazz and juames like this.
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I think I’ll wait until I get an actual ds bike before doing those.
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  17. eldog

eldog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I wanted to ask for a local recommendation.

I've got to move two bikes from near Brighton up here to Ottawa. I'm not able to just grab a trailer or load them into a van myself. Who would you recommend, if anyone to hire to move them? I already looked at my CAA and it won't fly with them.

thanks!
  18. Slow Toast

Slow Toast pfft

Oddometer:
    Never used him, but I've heard good things about Toy Fetcher http://www.toyfetcher.ca/
  19. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Pm me. Have trailer and I'm off work at the moment...
    motogoat likes this.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Stephanie and I went for a picnic to Davis Lock in Elgin today. Temperature ranged from 12-20, and we had some rain at the end of the day, but it was great to be out on our two 650 Suzukis, her DR and my VStrom.

Very interesting to see that the Vstrom uses less fuel than the DR for the same mileage, considering the V and I weigh quite a bit more than the DR and her.

I helped two snapping turtles cross the road, though they weren’t together. This one was on the road through Murphy’s Point.

Little bastard tried to pee on me. Ingrate! IMG_4412.png
    rwebell and Vikingtazz like this.