Looking for someone to go Vancouver-Mexico

Discussion in 'Canada' started by iamcanjim, May 5, 2006.

1. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Snorting snow.

Oddometer:
    Well. I am looking for someone interested in riding to Mexico from Vancouver or anywhere in the PW to Mexico. I will be going sometime between June 25 and Sept. 30. Destination somewhere remote and interesting. I ride a DL650 poorly on pavement and horribly on dirt. Anyone wanna go? Any suggestions for destinations, routes or tips?
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It takes a brave person to admit you ride poorly. Sure you want to take poor riding skills to Mexico?
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Snorting snow.

Oddometer:
    I am about as good or bad as someone with 3 years/40,000 km experience. Bad on the dirt. The comment about me riding poorly was not to say i am unsafe, merely that I don't have a huge amount of experience and can be expected to ride very conservatively.
  4. SteveKLR

SteveKLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi where in Vancouver are you? I have a DL650k5 and live in Van.
    Are you going for a holiday, planning to ride back?. Useing the I5 all the way?
  5. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Snorting snow.

Oddometer:
    Hi. I actually live in Abbotsford, 1/2 east of Vancouver. I am going for a holiday. I am planning on going any route that seems interesting, but I would like to avoid the freeway, as I really hated buffeting and I have a stock windshield. And freeways are boring. I have a DL650K4.

Mainly, wanting to have an adventure. No real firm plans as of yet.

Perhaps we could meet for a coffee sometime and discuss.
  6. Scooter

Scooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My suggestion would be to gain more experince within your own area. Lots to see in BC, WA. and Oregon. Maybe try a trip to Glacier Ntl. Park boardering Montana and Alberta. Ride through the Cascades.
  7. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Sounds like sage advice to me....
  8. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Snorting snow.

Oddometer:
    Good points. I have ridden to Alberta through the Cascades along Hwy 3, as well as to Salt Lake City, avoiding the interstate. I will continue to practise around here. So, I do have some experience with trips.
  9. bluenoser

bluenoser I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer:
    Currently have a bike in Calgary - 1200gs, was going to get together with a buddy - 1200gsa -from BC and head down to Mex probably in Aug. Plans are still up in the air, the more the merrier (is that how you spell merrier), keep in touch.
  10. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I say go for it!!! I'm doing Calgary-Baja-Vancouver-Calgary and I have a total of 2,500km of riding experience. Bold? Yes. Stupid? Probably. I feel very comfortable riding on pavement and can keep up with some veterans doing 110km/h on dirt. I think as long as you're confident, feel comfortable with the bike, have a sense of adventure, and you're careful, you should be ok. Although I know there is no substitute for experience. Stay tuned for an interesting ride report... if I make it.
  11. Scooter

Scooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a DL650 poorly on pavement and horribly on dirt. [/QUOTE]

Confidence is everything on a bike. Once you loose your edge your screwed.
  12. Just a Little Lost

Just a Little Lost n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm ridding down south with bluenoser in august or september. I'm in abbotsford right now. Send me a PM and maybe we can get together, but I have to leave BC in a week to go back to work
  13. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    the inland route, via E wash-East oregon, nevada, ( or east california) etc, can be a good way, hotter then hell in the summer but mexico will be too.. nice roads and you can haul ass if you want.

get vented gear. soak it. learn signs of heat stroke, desert survival etc... I started to get heat stroke once in northern nevada in august, your not thinking well.

get up at 4 or 5am , ride, get off the road in the heat of the day.

be a boy scout, be prepared, pack lots of water, lots. figure out when your bod is getting dehydrated. booze and caffine are buggers on this, ( my 2 fav food groups)

have you tried a larimar lip for the buffeting?

as Clint says, A man needs to know his limits. you seem to. have fun, take pics.
  14. Hippiessuck

Hippiessuck Banned

Oddometer:
    Don't listen to this kind of crap.
    JUST GO
    If anything, you will learn as you go, and will be a better rider by the end of the trip.
    JUST GO

:clap
  15. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    check this thread for several mexico/medivac insurance plans,
    no matter what your skill level, beginner to pro this is a good idea.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124235&highlight=medivac

http://www.mexadventure.com/
    that one has vehicle ins also, which you'll need

http://www.binationalemergency.org/ $30 a year !! amazing!!

I rode vegas to Phx last year in 100-109, its tolerable with a soaked vented jacket, just keep moving. I would freeze the jacket in the am at the motel, dont let any skin show and bring sun block, zinc stuff. have a plan if you break down in the desert.:1drink
  16. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Snorting snow.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I have vented gear, and would bring it. Soaking it sounds good. Obviously a camelback would be a good idea. Thinking minimal luggage (i.e. undies and credit card). And yeah.

About the lack of skill thing. More of a self-deprecating humour thing. Americans tend to brag about their skills, Canadians tend to understate. Sorry for the mild cultural confusion. I actually think I am a pretty darn good rider, esp. considering my lack of experience.

Never gotten in to any trouble ever in a situation. Aside from a manufacturers defect that caused my clutch to die at 4000 kms, the bike has never broken down. Never even had a good scare.

So, yeah, don't worry excessively about my lack of skills. I am aware of my limitations and ride within them.

Damn, you can't win. Before I came across incredibly timid, and now I sound really arrogant. Oh well.:eek1 :clap
  17. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:

On that statement alone, you're more ready for, and capable of, any trip you wish to take than 90% of the other posters on this list.

Enjoy your trip!
  18. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you do fine. just take pictures:1drink
    the DL has a lot space under the seat, load it up. tire plug kit, small tire pump, aluminum epoxy, small first aid kit, a couple extra tools, some universal soap ( for your skivvies, socks, & bod), registration , tire pressure gauge, beef jerky, starbucks double shot cans- I need caffine.

soaking a vented jacket helps but the soak vests rule.

http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=178&id=848