Looking for someone to ride Canning Stock Route with

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bibo01, Oct 17, 2019.

1. bibo01

bibo01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello mates,

I am Italian, but I lived in Australia for five years and now I live in Indonesia . My outback experience covers Central Australia, the Kimberleys and ride to Cape York. I intend riding CSR in July '20 by motorcycle. I am looking for someone or a group to ride it with, without a supporting vehicle south to north.

As you know about this almost legendary 1800km long route already, you are aware that it requires technical expertise, physical fitness, special motorcycle setup, off-road experience (preferably in Australia) and heavy preparation. I am already at a good level of preparation myself in terms of planning and - I assure you - I do not under-estimate the whole project.

If you are interested and perhaps also looking for a partner, please let me know and we can discuss details in PM.
    Please, only serious people apply.
    mcguyver, casf and 59DEN like this.
  2. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I intend taking the easy option of going with a Daryl Beattie fully supported and bike provided CSR ride in the middle of next year.

This year's one was cancelled because most of the riders were associated in a group that dropped out, leaving not enough starters to make it worthwhile.

This is definitely the way to go if you can afford it.

http://darylbeattieadventures.com.au/adventures/canning-stock-route/

I did it solo about 20 years ago in a Feroza but hate overloaded desert riding.
    bibo01 likes this.
  3. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does the cost of the tour compare to the cost of doing it not on the tour?
  4. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Badly. $10100 with Daz. If your private bike stuffs up out there though the organised tour would be a bargain.
  5. gavineakins

gavineakins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $10K. Fark.

Cheers - Gavin
  6. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not as much if you say it quickly!

It is actually cheaper per day than the BMW Safari, where you have to use your own bike.

And Daz includes the flights to Wiluna from Perth and from Halls Creek to Broome, CRF450 (and maybe Africa Twin), accommodation, fuel, meals, maintenance, insurance, communications, et cetera.

Start providing all that stuff yourself and you're still up for a fair bit.

But the biggest factor for me is being able to actually enjoy riding a bike that's not overloaded with all the stuff you'd have to carry otherwise.

And how much for peace of mind?
  7. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    I think this thread will be more positive than the last one that asked about the CSR.
    Did that knowitall chick ever do it?
    toecutta likes this.
  8. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats a good question!! That was @Xenia back around now in 2017, but she hasnt been on this site for a year now
  9. rider911

Oddometer:
    Yes that's her, ADV has been pretty boring since :D I thought someone may know her fate from Bookface.
  10. bibo01

bibo01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys,
    for highlighting some of the problems one has to face for CSR riding which I do not mind discussing.
    I considered Daryl Beattie, I am actually in touch with him as well, but it would be too expensive for me or at least it would be on top of what I have already done/spent.
    My daily breakdown is actually modeled on 11+1 days Daryl Beattie's itinerary, although he claims that, without a supporting vehicle, "we" would be faster. Anyhow, I do not mind to take it easy.

@Ron50 , I agree that bike weight is an important factor. No Africa Twin for me, but desert setup KTM 690 Enduro R with 56L of inline fuel.
    Ron50 likes this.
  11. bibo01

bibo01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just added some info to my first post... :D
  12. rider911

Oddometer:
    Apart from the cost, I wouldn't consider a tour like Darryls because it is too slow. I get that it suits some people but for me I want to ride. To get the truck to keep up he has to take you into every well to waste time and once you have seen one abandon well, you've seen them all :D

The longer you take the more food and water you have carry. Water is not available at every well and its possible even the good wells may have issues. Vandalism or dead animals.

I think on a 690 you would easily do it in 7 or 8 days
    stumps likes this.
  13. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I caught up with Xenia and Martin in November last year, when they passed through Albany, they took on board the advice from their original post and left the CSR for another day.
    Nice young couple who are in South Africa now - https://www.facebook.com/xtadventures/
    J_B, Andrew2, Ron50 and 2 others like this.
  14. bibo01

bibo01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree about the wells. I would do the major ones only.
    Anyhow, your 7-8 days long tour suggestion kind of reassures me, although I am not in a position to fully asses it.
    The reason is that, until few days ago, I had an Aussie riding partner. His plan for CSR was 13+2 days (same bike as me); when I suggested a 11+1 days plan, he did not take well my "revision", although I was flexible about it. So, in order not to create unnecessary stress for both of us, I decided to go my way. ...Hence, my new search for a partner :-)
  15. bibo01

bibo01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any potential rider?!
  16. rider911

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't dismiss doing it on your own if your riding and mechanical ability, and planning are on point.
    The advantage of riding at your own pace and not having to "fit in" with others might negate the risks of travelling by yourself.
    I did it by myself and there are 2 big positives imo. Firstly other 4X4 travellers are far more sociable to a solo biker, frequently offering water, food and companionship. That was a highlight of my trip.
    Secondly, riding a overloaded bike in soft sand on a freshly smoothed out wheel track is twice as easy compared to fighting wobbly motorcycle tracks left by your riding mates'
    Obviously its not a decision to be taken lightly but during July there will be a regular flow of travellers out there.
  17. bibo01

bibo01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I don't dismiss it. I believe you.
    From now to next July many things can change ...In between I have also a 3 months adventure trip in India :-)
  18. bibo01

bibo01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    UP
  19. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't meet your "no support" criteria, but two mates and I on DR400s looking to do it early August North to South. We are planning to take a Toyota Landcuiser ute as back up. We are still very early in the stages of planning - I have not even purchased my DR yet! Did The Anne Beadell with the support in 2017 on a F800 and KTM 990. Going for lighter bikes on this ride.

Anne Beadell Highway Trip 044.JPG
  20. syzygy9

syzygy9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I come too?!

Wait, I am coming . . . and I have already bought the bike!

0B4F261E-663B-462A-A7A5-41139777771C.jpeg