Looking for sweet routes and camp spots in Northern CA

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Barak, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Barak

Barak adventure photographer

Oddometer:
    Hello!

I'm planning a ride in California and Oregon for later in July starting from East of Yosemite. This will be a loop from where I leave my truck and trailer. I have 8-9 days north along the mountains and interior to Portland area, then south along the Pacific coast is the general plan.

I'm looking for suggestions on great pavement and easy big-bike friendly dirt sections as well as memorable awesome camping spots (BLM, rough camping or established campgrounds like state, national forest or national parks as well)

And on another note, I intend to leave my truck and trailer in Bishop, CA or somewhere nearby. Any suggestions on a safe/legal place to do so?

Thanks!
    Barak
    Fat Nelly likes this.
  2. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Climb west over Sonora Pass, drop down into Sonora, then go back over the mountains via Hwy 4 though Murphy's and Ebbetts pass.

There has been controlled traffic road construction north of Bridgeport on US 395. I don't know if its still in progress or not, but it could be a hot bake while you wait in the middle of the afternoon.
    Barak likes this.
  3. Fat Nelly

Fat Nelly Squid

Oddometer:
    Hey Barak
    This is one ride you can't go wrong. No matter which way you go you will be rewarded. Just stay off the main highways and you will smile. Northern Ca and Southern Oregon are beautiful everywhere.

Toms Place near mammoth is where we park and stage from. Safe parking and plenty of supplies to get you going. Big dirt lot just west of tom's good for parking. Left a truck for more than 20 days no problem just tell the staff onsite your intentions.

I would avoid the 5 passes due to traffic and congestion from this lockdown. But some have had luck early AM. They are good roads but nothing like what you will see and experience further north, Head north up through Plumas and Lassen NF. Rogue and Siskiyou NF unreal area. Tons of logging and forest roads if your looking for easy. Many old bridges and things to see along the way. Tons of places to camp. Depending on your loop Umpqua NF even better but kind of landlocked for north/south travel. Take a GPS. Easy to get lost and turned around. Trees are tall and you don't see to many landmarks deep in the woods.

Spend time and support the State of Jefferson. Not sure what it is? Do a little homework on this gem of a place. Great people you don't meet to often in this world. Not sure about Portland area. Very Liberal and snooty. I avoid anywhere north of Eugene like the plague.

Good luck and ride safe!
    Barak likes this.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Barak,I wouldnt spend time looking for a State of Jefferson,it doesnt exist. Its a political fairy tale.

Hiway 36 going west from Red Bluff is arguably the best road in Nor Cal,its unpredictable,its fast its slow,it has dirt and paved roads going all over off of it.
    Alderpoint is a long backwoods road off 36,million corners,. Grizzly creek campground is towards the west end,as is Van Duzen County campground,both are in the redwoods. 299 is truck and tourist traffic and I avoid it like the plague. Hiway 20 to coast also sucks due to commuters and tourists.

Hiway 162 to FH7 to 101 involves 35 miles of good gravel,some great pavement, and is a great ride through the wilderness.
    Some of Hiway 1 is a great thing,a lot of it and you will get sick of motorhome bumpers. Fish Creek off 1 is very good gravel/pave.
    Bodega Bay and Jenner are nice coastal towns to visit. Cazadero,Rio Nido,Guernville,Seaview,Westport,Fort Bragg all are nice coastal towns to visit.
    Ive been going to the coast for many years if you have questions.
    Chico, MeefZah, Barak and 1 other person like this.
  5. Barak

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the invaluable input! I have been pinning my map with all of these suggestions.
    I have been having trouble finding reservable sites at established campgrounds as these are either first come or are completely booked. I don't like planning too far ahead on one hand but I also don't want to waste too much time looking for a place to set up each night.
    In the southwest, the national forests and BLM Lands are pretty much open to rough camping unless it specifically prohibits it in some areas. Is this the case in NorCal and Oregon? Can I just take random forest roads on public lands and expect to find spots to rough camp?
    Thanks,
    Barak
  6. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Barak

Oddometer:
    Thanks Victor
    I was there a couple of years ago with my son in an SUV. We camped on the beach at Usal. Was incredible and I intend to do Usal road again on this trip
    Barak
  8. Barak

Oddometer:
    Hello! thanks for all of the great tips! Just returned from an incredible tour so,
    Here are some pics:
    IMG_1476.jpg IMG_1503.jpg RXX09914.jpg IMG_1513.jpg RXX09726.jpg DJI_0064.JPG IMG_1499.jpg RXX09966.jpg DJI_0075.jpg IMG_1366.jpg
  9. Barak

Oddometer:
    and a few more:
    RXX09747.jpg DJI_0237.JPG IMG_1351.jpg IMG_E1496.JPG IMG_1353.jpg IMG_1394.jpg IMG_1381.jpg RXX09820.jpg DJI_0227.JPG IMG_1326.jpg
  10. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    20 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    great photos....nice bike (but I'm biased)
  11. Barak

Oddometer:
    and lastly:
    DJI_0085.jpg IMG_1535.jpg IMG_1443.JPG IMG_1331.jpg IMG_1320.jpg DJI_0253.JPG IMG_1479.jpg RXX09895.JPG IMG_1518.jpg RXX09923.JPG
  12. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

is this Titlow Rd?
    Bike Guy and nvklr like this.
  13. Barak

Oddometer:
    I believe its NF700 just north of Lemolo lake, Mt. Thielsen in the background
    Rips Millar likes this.
  14. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Really nice photography.
    Foot dragger and Barak like this.
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Titlow is paved and starts off 299. Then turns into FH1.