Looking into a BRP sub mount stabilizer kit

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by MN rider, Nov 18, 2019.

1. MN rider

MN rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking into stabilizer kits for the 790. The BRP one looks good quality and the stem post mount that attaches to the frame is stout. Not sure if I like the bulk it adds to the triple clamp though and have never felt that I needed vibration damping for the handlebars on the 1090/1190. Has anyone run the BRP setup on any bike, maybe there's some added benefit that needs to be felt while riding that makes it shine. I could see if it was on a single cylinder motor, or a two stroke that would make more sense. There is a simplified rigid mount kit available for the 790 from a different company as well, but the post mount seems weak compared to the BRP kit.
  2. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am using the BRP kit with the additional bar risers and I am happy with it. I agree that the damping is probably not needed. Only downside is that the bars have to be mounted in the closest bar mount holes to the steering stem-closest to the rider and I would prefer to have moved the bars to the far holes to get the bars a little farther away from me. Not a big deal though.
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What 'seems' and what 'is' are two very different things... I'm running TCM's Scott's damper kit and the post mount is engineered precisely and beautifully to be fit for purpose.
    OOF,
    TCM Scotts Tower Pin.jpg

Guess that various manufacturers seek a point of distinction / detail in the market place. The BRP kit from Rottweiler shows the tower post fixing via 2 socket head cap screws...
    [​IMG]

But there is only 1 threaded mount hole in the frame :hmmmmmHuh?
    I have no insight into the BRP rubber dampened mount but hate rubber mounts generally as even the smallest bit of movement gives me the 'be-gibbers'... Eek, my handlebars are loose!
    alongat likes this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve had the brp before on a couple dirty whips, but after some seat time on the 790 it was pretty obvious that it was overkill for this pig.
    I went for the triple clamp moto version and am pretty satisfied with that setup. It gets my solid endorsement, which isn’t something I hand out willy-nilly.
    Did I mention it’s less expensive?
    alongat likes this.
  5. John Rossi

John Rossi n00b

Oddometer:
    I am running the BRP mount and no complaints. You cant really see it from these angles but the base plate that mounts the BRP system to the triple clamp is of great quality. Not too thick either. Once the bars are mounted you cant see it anyway. Regarding the pin mount, this is a two-part piece. There is a single bolt lower that you then mount an adapter on top of with the twin bolts. Not sure why they did this but again, I think the design is great. Its very flush and subtle. You would be able to dismount the tank without removing this piece.

Base plate.jpg side.jpg Tank.jpg
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    To me the 2 part assembly appears to be an effort to distribute the lateral force taking strain off the system versus just using the oem single hole and pin. Seems to me that simpler system may suffer fatigue over time, but I am in no way, an engineer.
    MN rider likes this.
  7. braaap!

Oddometer:
    @TrailTrauma
    Doubt that, I think it merely comes down to product differentiation, no big deal.
    I'm interested to hear how much 'flex' the BRP mount exhibits. I know there are interchangeable buffers of differing duro / hardness, but can the mount really isolate vibration without the bars feeling kinda loose and flonky?
  8. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think this thread needed a different point of view, so here I am :D:D
    I was using the BRP sub mount kit on my 690, with the blue soft bushings. I have no idea if this reduced some specific range of vibration frequencies, but I didn’t feel like so anyway - not to mention a “loose handlebar feel”. No way. At the end I had to install a fasst flex handlebar kit in order to kill some vibes and also reduce hand fatigue - YES IT WORKS! It feels like having a second suspension - you do get over the “loose” feeling fast, and start to realize that you can drive faster & longer with this setup. I love it and I will install it on my 790!:-)

4F350B5D-7385-4E8E-B777-0998CB937E7F.jpeg
    Crusty the Clown likes this.
  9. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whether or not the BRP changes feel I think what we need to know if there are other options to mount the stabilizer BRP can't be the monopoly.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Myself and several other inmates went with TripleClampMoto.
    braaap! likes this.
  11. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    comradecasey, No-Fret and braaap! like this.
  12. MN rider

MN rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys. As for my comment on the tcm frame mounted post, I dont necesarialy think the mount is weak, more that it looks like it would put more of a rotational load on the flat bar that's on the frame. The brp looks like it's mounted the same as tcm, but then also clamped on the rear on the flat bar on the frame. Thus giving it more support. I have not seen either kits in person so it's hard to tell. I'm curious how many ft lbs of load are auctialy being applied to the top of the post when the front end hits something at speed.
  13. braaap!

Oddometer:
    The Kn force would be quite high at the inception of an ‘event’ but would dissipate significantly within milliseconds... given damper action.
    Someone on here will have the math to calculate shear values given known mechanical dimensions.
    Thread size engaging with OEM frame hole x height of tower post x diameter of post - factor thread seating torque value, centre centre distance of actuator arm.... Moment of inertia. Nerdy stuff.

I have no idea really but my workshop hands and eye say the TCM tower post is fit for purpose and simple in design.
    I like ‘KISS’
  14. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    or the Vanasche mount for half the price of the TCM
    No-Fret likes this.
  15. edesola

edesola n00b

Oddometer:
    It's $89 just for the bar riser/stabilizer mount
    $169 for the kit that includes post and pin :(
  16. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    Has anyone switched bars that went with the brp submount?

It was mentioned previously that you have to put the bars in the closet position. I'm not sure I would like that.

Guess I should just go switch it and see.
  17. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Hey @braaap! , why is the end of the lever arm on your Scott’s damper opened up? My kit from TCM came with the longer arm (10). Are you using the shorter (8) arm and it wasn’t quite long enough?
  18. braaap!

Oddometer:
    @SoilSampleDave dunno? The arm I'm running came in the kit from TCM... Maybe @alongat can chime in?..

I could just be special, been told that many times, coincidently along with raised eyebrows :|
  19. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Scotts dampers makes the arms for us - it all depends on which style were available at the time. The length is the same regardless... if you look at the Scotts / BRP damper kit for the 690/701 as an example, you’ll see that it too uses the open ended style arm. Functionally speaking, it makes zero difference.
    braaap! likes this.
  20. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    And yes, everyone knows how special you are :)
    braaap! likes this.